The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

My call from the GP is delayed but I have been assured I am still on the list!

Quite a few neighbours have had barbecues recently but we haven’t. Not sure why. 
The rain and thunderclouds approached and divided to the north and south of us as so often happens. They are off out to sea somewhere now according to the weather radar. 
Tony

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Well... the stormy weather means freesat is off. Glad Little Topham Hatt is still sleeping!

This is one thing that worries me with owning a house. Extreme weather. Don't get me wring, I love extreme weather but my house is a bit old and so I always get anxious on whether I'll find a leak or something will happen when it's really raining. Rain more than any other weather I think.

I used to be more scared of electrics but an electrician told me that if the electrics blow, they'll just turn off. But if your house floods, everything is ruined. Wiser man level increase +5 points there.

Luckily we live on a small (more of a slopey road really!) hill so pretty much all the rain simply runs down the road. But it still makes a little stream as it does.

IMG_20200617_161032.jpg.e528c364789e086e201e9f705bff832a.jpg

I have the same worries, but live at the bottom of the hill. So my yard becomes a basin, and a duck motel.

image.jpeg.3333699b516edda6afb72354bb03ca0c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, tigerburnie said:

Hermes delivered my new walking boots bang in the middle of the allotted slot, now just need for wee Jimmie Crankie to let me out to try them in the Glens.

How about trying them out by dishing out a good kicking to which ever political misfit takes your fancy?

• Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip...

stay healthy and best wishes to Baz,
Douglas

1B9B6337-38CB-454A-B82F-E6B12AB78FD5.jpeg

What is that gray cabin car, er, brake van(?) in the backround? I have something similar that I picked up at the Strasburg, PA two-rail O scale show sometime back with the intention of converting it to some form of work motor on my interurban trolley line; but, having developed a small interest in English railroads, I have decided leave it as it is. I do have an 0-6-0+0-6-0 Garrett that has a KD on the rear but retains the buffers/link coupling on the front. Hmmm, ideas are forming though. I can see it (mentally) now; the Garrett is sitting in the hole waiting for the double-headed C-630s with a coal drag to clear the main. The Garrett is on a tour; think Flying Scot here. :jester:

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

What is that gray cabin car, er, brake van(?) in the backround? I have something similar that I picked up at the Strasburg, PA two-rail O scale show sometime back with the intention of converting it to some form of work motor on my interurban trolley line; but, having developed a small interest in English railroads, I have decided leave it as it is. I do have an 0-6-0+0-6-0 Garrett that has a KD on the rear but retains the buffers/link coupling on the front. Hmmm, ideas are forming though. I can see it (mentally) now; the Garrett is sitting in the hole waiting for the double-headed C-630s with a coal drag to clear the main. The Garrett is on a tour; think Flying Scot here. :jester:

It’s an old Airfix GWR Toad brakevan.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not been out to get that wheelbarrow yet, still done a bit of tidying up in the garden but forced in by the rain which then stopped as soon as everything was put away. According to the forecast its going to persist down in the early hours locally. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Yes just heard from a friend whos layout was going but nothing yet re demos. However that's Baz's replacement so will no doubt be done separately. UPDATE just received.

So our first show is highly likely to be the same as our last (and only)  show this year if all goes Ok.

Oh well allows us to go away more often this year - Oh hang on:mellow:

At least I can sit here under the canopy shed opening various bottles. Currently have the 25 year old scratchbuilt station building in the garden undergoing roof repairs whilst 34040 Crewkerne is chuffing its way round the High Line.

20200617_160128.jpg

20200617_160142.jpg

I see your watching Santa Fe Junction on VR.

My favourite is the local shunting at Waupaca.  Most days (our early evening) when the plant is operating

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I have the same worries, but live at the bottom of the hill. So my yard becomes a basin, and a duck motel.

image.jpeg.3333699b516edda6afb72354bb03ca0c.jpeg

My back yard after a really heavy, long-lasting rain, note the river:

1487047525_201904jul19heavyrain-02.JPG.208b9b1e7ac2fd4fdee252709b3db62c.JPG

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I see your watching Santa Fe Junction on VR.

My favourite is the local shunting at Waupaca.  Most days (our early evening) when the plant is operating

Yes its a great webcam as nd a great location. We spent a while their back in 2018 with a group of UK modellers who were also attending the NMRA Convention. The Docs Caboose webcams location a couple of miles away was also a favourite spot. My other half likes the Elkhart IN railcam when it's Kiki the cats feeding time

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

... a model of the U.S.S Oregon (very interesting history the Oregon had, especially from an engineering standpoint)

Presuming you mean BB-3, a sad end as an ammunition barge in the second world war before being broken up.

The foremast is installed at Tom McCall park alongside the Willamette River (where in the 1930s the Oregon was moored as a museum ship) in downtown Portland. The funnels also exist but are not on display.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

booking her car’s service. First available service is in August but that is fine. Her car still has winter tyres on!

Snow tyres have to be off in March here! By law!!  'They" don't want you tearing up the street

Brian.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Snow tyres have to be off in March here! By law!!  'They" don't want you tearing up the street

Brian.

Only if they have metal studs. Does anyone use them in the UK? Are they even legal there?

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2