The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...snip...South Carolina southern is very different from Mississippi southern ...snip...

That reminds me of something I heard when I was in the Navy.; Two guys were talking, one was from Maine and one from the hills of Mississippi; I could not understand either of them yet they seemed to be carrying on a conversation. :o

• Like 5
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

...snip... For some reason I've always been able to identify a Canadian accent, ...snip...

Maybe because they end every third word with "eh"? :jester:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

I understand it was basically a toss-up whether the US adopted English or German.

I had read that is might have been French. At that time French was the usual "diplomatic" language.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

The above happens when trying to catch up on reading  through the posts and commenting on them as I read them; anyway now it is time to say Good night owl from the Piedmont.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I had read that is might have been French. At that time French was the usual "diplomatic" language.

And remained so for well over a century.

The US turned quickly against their French allies. Despite the French navy and army (more or less) winning the revolutionary war at Yorktown, the US almost went to war with France (and engaged in the 1798-1800 "quasi war" with the First Republic) during the Adams administration. 

In 1812 Madison could just as easily gone to war versus the French Empire as he ultimately did with the British Empire.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 10

13 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Or are we talking about a continental indulgence in the form of a Schwaldertorte laden with chocolate, cream and black cherries?

You have apparently stumped Google:

Showing results for Schwedentorte
No results found for Schwaldertorte

Apparently Schwedentorte is the Swedish Princess Cake / Prinsesstårta  (as seen on Great British Baking). What you describe (chocolate, cream and black cherries) reminds me of Black Forest gâteau / Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte and when properly done is one step from heaven.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Carry On film on ITV3 is Cowboy, one of the better ones IMHO.

Chris, as a connoisseur of the "Carry On" opus, perhaps you can help me?

As a lad, before most of the double entendre meant much of anything to me, I remember a scene with (I think) Charles Hawtrey playing an imaginary piano on striped flannel hospital sheets. I remember it in black and white, but that could have been the television. I'm thinking "Carry on Nurse". Any ideas?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Chris, as a connoisseur of the "Carry On" opus, perhaps you can help me?

As a lad, before most of the double entendre meant much of anything to me, I remember a scene with (I think) Charles Hawtrey playing an imaginary piano on striped flannel hospital sheets. I remember it in black and white, but that could have been the television. I'm thinking "Carry on Nurse". Any ideas?

Sir, you flatter me.  It does not strike a chord, I'm afraid.

Chris

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Google maps and double it. East has lots of delays, depending on time of day. 

Tractors (and other assorted agricultural implements). Although most of the land is flat, roads are often narrow with very few straights where passing is safe. Add to that congestion in most towns and it can often be a very slow journey.

I grew up in Grantham and when I left in 1976 there was talk of a relief road - when that was built it was just a short stretch alongside the railway and only served to move the queue about half a mile. Now at last work has started on a proper bypass so that traffic from the west will use the A1 to get past the town and then turn east, re-joining the old road by RAF Spitalgate (as was and now Prince William of Gloucester Barracks).

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. As I mentioned my accent could be either Estuary or Essex and I easily go to one or the other. I went to live in Burnham-on-Crouch in the early 80's and it was within a few days that I was speaking like a native though at the time I didn't notice it as I was not aware that I had an accent until a colleague pointed it out. I was still living in Burnham when my mother died. I went to the local pub to drown my sorrows and while I was sat there I thought I'd heard my mothers voice. It turned out to be one of the local ladies and it was only then that I realised that my mum had an Essex accent. I obviously picked up my Essex accent from my mother who in turn picked it up from her mother. The Essex accent can sometimes sound like a West Country accent, think Phil Harding from Time Team. 

• Like 18