The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I was sad enough to count all the teeth so you have  a 54/17 on the left and a 54/18 on the right.

(I see the Bear beat me to it)

Jolly good! Now why would that be? :)

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Jolly good! Now why would that be? :)

We heard you the first time and still did not know the answer here! :jester:

Edited by Chris116
  • Funny 16

48 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I was sad enough to count all the teeth so you have  a 54/17 on the left and a 54/18 on the right.

(I see the Bear beat me to it)

A clue:

I made the 17 tooth gear and substituted it for the 18 tooth that was in the compound gear on the left. 

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

48 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

US is not always as obvious as it might seem but broadly - very broadly - there are three variants being east coast, west coast and southern of which the latter is less often heard in the UK.  Mid-west falls between the three.

It is in fact very complicated.

There are distinct regional accents. New England is very different from the mid-Atlantic and Boston is more pronounced with it's own argot parodied in the "Smaht Pahk" commercial for Hyundai. (Listen for 'RevereH' - this isn't just parody it's real Boston. I know someone from Revere, well Lynn, which is next door.)

There are distinct mid-Atlantic accents that are very regional. Connecticut, Long Island, the Bronx and Staten Island are different from what could be called "New York". New Jersey (Goisy) is different again, so is Philadelphia.

Mid-western doesn't so much fall between east and west linguistically but has it's own truly different regional accents. Chicago is different from the upper mid-west. The upper mid-west has a lot of Scandinavian influence leading to the "meee-na-soh-ta" trope. This accent is wickedly portrayed in the movie "Fargo" which is very different to what you will hear in a Chicago movie like "The Blues Brothers" - "We're on a mission from Gaard". Wisconsin is halfway between the two. Michigan is different again - except for the UP which is more like Minnesota.

The South is just as complicated. Cajun is to American English what the Scottish accent is to British English. South Carolina southern is very different from Mississippi southern and the Texas drawl is different again.

Then there are ethnic influences. Not just African American and Spanish dialects but other immigrant influences besides Cajun like Yiddish, Polish, Italian, German, etc.

Hawaiian is distinctive, I've known many Hawaiians and been there a few times. It's not something you would hear often in the UK.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Accents, most of the time I speak with an 'Estuary' accent, largely because those around me speak in that accent. My 'natural' accent however is rural Essex which I picked up from my mother who in turn picked up the accent from her mother who was born in Brentwood back in the 1890's. For some reason I've always been able to identify a Canadian accent, possibly because I had met more Canadians than I had Americans before I visited the US in 1978. The Canadian accent to me is softer than the American one.

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Never mind the groan button, I want an envy button.

Will this do?

image.png.67224e66f9d2d0d0bce72db413eb61e7.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

The Queensland drawl is particularly characteristic; as I joked more than once it's so hot and humid up there that they don't hurry anything - including their speech.  

Knowing many Queenslanders as I do (they don't call it the deep north for nothing), the drawl is more pronounced the more rural you get - particularly the inland west for a more 'cowboy' drawl. The northern tropics will have more of the mañana sound.

Besides the Mexican mañana, it's true of most tropical cultures - Jamaican "irie mon" and Hawaiian "mahalo" / mah-hah-lo (which is "thank you" and more useful than "aloha") come to mind.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16

8 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... from the centre of England, nearly.

"The Sea"

My 5th grade teacher wrote an observation of every pupil in the school year book.

Of me he wrote:

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

To save me from the other armed forces.

Dad was in the Navy Reserve when I was young, though probably not by the 5th grade.

With the exception of about seven years in Chicago, I have spent my whole life within easy reach of the Pacific Ocean though it takes a minimum of about 90 minutes or so for me to get there these days. Ironically, while I live in a coastal state and think of being relatively "close" to the ocean, it's not that much further for you to reach the sea.

• Like 15

30 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The Canadian accent to me is softer than the American one.

It's remarkable that they even have similarities. Besides the French influence, Canada was heavily influenced by Scots.

The American colonies were largely populated by English and African people, though there were Scots Irish in the south. Both countries had waves of Irish and Continental immigrants in the 19th century.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
On 12/06/2020 at 19:42, Happy Hippo said:

And that is how to:

Discourage children from taking up railway modelling as a hobby.

Put them off the GWR

Dismiss O gauge as a preserve of the miserable old git.

There - suitably amended.

• Funny 14

22 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The American colonies were largely populated by English and African people, though there were Scots Irish in the south. Both countries had waves of Irish and Continental immigrants in the 19th century.

I understand it was basically a toss-up whether the US adopted English or German.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

40 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I understand it was basically a toss-up whether the US adopted English or German.

Bit of urban legend I'm afraid.

Many colonial immigrants to Pennsylvania came from the Palatinate of the Rhine - hence Germantown in PA. This was largely influenced by the deliberate non-establishment of religion in the colony by the Quakers. Nevertheless they were always a minority group in the colonies overall.

It was never a question of which would be the prevailing language. (There is no "official language" to this day but the de-facto language is English.) There was a close vote in 1795 as to whether Federal laws would be published in German in response to the petition of a group in Virginia. Multiple internet sources: Snopes, University of Illinois, Wikipedia

Many more German immigrants came in the 19th century, but so did the Irish, Italians, Scandinavians, Poles, etc.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13