The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

As I see it, there are a number of very serious problems in “banning history“;

I don't think anyone is attempting to re-write history. What they are doing is tearing down some symbols that should never have been put up in the first place.

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Let alone a multi-storey carp ark!

That reminds me. My late father was the car parks manager for the London Borough of Havering. One of the multi-storied car parks in Romford had a spiral entrance ramp with the 'up' ramp on the outside and a flat area on each floor with a sharp and sudden transition from the ramp to the floor. One evening rush hour the down ramp got blocked. The cause was a low slung sports car that had only just got through the sharp transition from the ramp to the floor on the way up. With the down ramp being on the inside of the spiral the transition was sharper and the car had ended up see-sawing on the top of the ramp. It was quite a palaver sorting it out. Firstly cars were stopped from going above the incident so that the up ramp could be used by the cars behind the stuck car to get out. Then a Land Rover recovery was sent up to pull the car off and tow it away on its spectacle lift. It certainly cost his insurers a bit of money.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

True, but not really suitable in a garage! :o

I recall working in the Tornado OEU Hangar at Boscombe Down in the mid-1990's when the pilot's ejection seat went off whilst having the seat cartridges taken out; the guy was standing on the seat at the time...

He survived, amazingly - he was knocked off by the canopy and fell to the hangar floor (i.e. a bl00dy long drop), mashing his arm in the process.  The seat went thru' the roof and landed in the M.T. yard out the back.

The guys wrote to Martin Baker for "The Tie"; M-B were less than forthcoming, strangely.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

The 'statues' topic has already been removed.  If the same prolonged discussion continues, this one may be at risk.  A pity, as controversial topics discussed in a civilised manner can be stimulating and adds to the standing of this website.

Brian

• Like 5
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I see that Nat Rail is having typo issues!

'Disruption between Easy Croydon and Clapham Junction.'

Ian, We both spent our formative years in Croydon. So we know that is not a typo, it is a Freudian slip.

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium

Hunting for the chess set, the boys turned up a favourite book from over 15 years ago, Hippos go Beserk! by Sandra Boynton:

One hippo, all alone,

calls two hippos, on the phone.

... and so on, up to the arrival of nine hippos (in waiters' and waitresses' outfits) who have come to work, at which point...

ALL THE HIPPOS GO BESERK!

... then, of course, they leave in groups until...

One hippo, alone once more, misses the other forty-four.

I just thought some might appreciate that.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

If you put them in the small compartment behind the engine the groceries would be already cooked by the time you got home!

At least with the Elan you got a proper boot.

Dad said they put potatoes against some hot part of tanks in the hope that they might get something to supplement their food rations at the end of the day . I didn’t ask how successful this was. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

19 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

This a report of the term in common use more than sixty years ago

Cowboys and native Americans?

Doesn't have the same 'ring' to it, it'll never catch on!:no:

Brian.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

One hippo, alone once more, misses the other forty-four.

I just thought some might appreciate that.

A hippo and forty-four?

Is that some sort of paneer?

(I do know that a 44 is not a paneer, but a prayree or more importantly a Peak)

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I thought that after the exertions of the last couple of days I would have lost some weight but no. When I weighed myself this morning it showed that I had put on weight, just over a kilo! This talk of car engines heating food reminded me that in a list of 'add ons' for the Ford model T was an oven that fitted on the exhaust manifold. 

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

That's a quick way to offend an Indian, they don't want to be Americans, they were there long before they were "discovered" by Europeans and their country was re-named.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

Perhaps it should be

cowpersons and native Americans to be perfectly correct?

Edited by Erichill16
Typo
  • Funny 12