The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

ChrisF, I can also recommend Nice as a base. As Mike has said, the CFP is a fabulous ride and s day trip in itself. However  it's best to take a packed lunch as the Station at Digne is some way from the town. I ended up with a cab ride in both directions after chatting with the driver.  The triangulsr trip up to Cuneo and fown to Ventimiglia is now back yo all rail and when I was there, San Remo trolleybuses still run into Ventimiglia.  Sadly the electrified rounhouse is now out of use after thevoverhead mangled a pantograph on a 22XXX.  I

By chance I have some photos of the incident with the pantograph well mangled. When I get my European slides scanned I will post them on a thread. Nice has also just opened it's 2nd tram route that I believe goes to the airport. Monte Carlo is very eady. If you use the eastern entrance you can get a combination of lifts and escalators straight down to the harbour. There are even a few EMU's letterred for Monaco but numbered in the SNCF series.  Goi g west there us a frequent service to Grasse, which is also worth a visit.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, chrisf said:

The prognosis for walking into a shop and buying a face mask turned out to be poor.  I went straight for back-up by ordering a pair from *m*z*n, which is the last thing I wanted to do.  The delivery date – 30th July, I’m told - is too far away for the wretched things to be of immediate use, so I am left with my college scarf, my rainbow bandana and my balaclava if I can remember where I put it. 

Chris, many of the Amazon masks are being sent from China, and there is no air mail at the moment - hence the silly delivery dates.  I got some off Amazon from a UK seller, and they were delivered within a few days.  However, I decided to get a cloth one off eBay, and it came on Tuesday  by first class post from a UK seller - and it only cost £4.99 including postage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COTTON-FACE-MASK-BLACK-QUALITY-MOUNTH-COVER-REUSABLE-HANDMADE-UK-STOCK-UNISEX/254617081794?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

• Informative/Useful 11

16 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I once test drove a Lotus Europa and had no real problem getting in or out. Neat car to drive but I really did not want to own one. For one thing where would one put the groceries? :biggrin_mini:

If you put them in the small compartment behind the engine the groceries would be already cooked by the time you got home!

At least with the Elan you got a proper boot.

Edited by Erichill16
Add final comment.
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All ...snip... how much drivel informative and erudite discussion ...snip...

Hopefully back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

I prefer the words "excess bloviation"! :yahoo_mini:

• Like 12
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Of the modern crop of cars, I really, really would like one of these please, a red one...thanks(I think it will need to be a roll over win to buy one though)

https://www.koenigsegg.com/car/regera/

Hmm, looks like it might cost a bit in tyres if it's driven like that one in the illustration.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

When I was 7 or 8 the game round the neighbourhood was cowboys and Indians. I have just received some bandana face masks from the usual source

Meet El Bandito

ElBandito.png.fc6f209bddc35d9f3fc085e0102827c8.png

The days when people would be panicking if you walked in like that but no its the other way around, well at least from Monday on public transport :mellow:

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

If you put them in the small compartment behind the engine the groceries would be already cooked by the time you got home!

At least with the Elan you got a proper boot.

Never tried that but I’ll mention it to my dad, the boot is fiberglass and can barely support its own weight, but it might cook a meat pie on a hot day. 

• Like 13

21 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

So, dual-fuel (electric and coal) with generator and traction engine hidden under the boiler?

Clever piece of kit. ;)

16 hours ago, AndyID said:

There was a gigantic immersion heating element in the boiler. Effective but terribly inefficient.

12 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Well, ... it is a kettle.

“Titter ye not”, as Mr. F. Howerd was wont to say:

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/swisselec/swisselc.htm

Edited by pH
Autocorrect!
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

There can Only Be one choice of car.. That of James Bond, from the books that is, not the films..

His was in Battleship grey..

Bond, James Bond did drive a comparable Bentley in the films, though it was British racing green. It appears early in "From Russia with Love".

It is equipped with a telephone and Moneypenny interrupts James' picnic.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Spent the afternoon tidying up the patio, rain is predicted for tomorrow so it should get a wash down. Been getting a few things sorted for the 'wildlife' corner of the garden. This is a couple of square metres of the garden hidden by the old shed and a fir tree where I had created a log pile and a few other things to attract insects, reptiles and small mammals though the latter are still rare due to the local cats and foxes. I am pleased to say though that there's quite a few slow worms and grass snakes in evidence in that corner. 

• Like 16

10 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Dave, part of my early driving was in my Dad's brand new 3.3L Vauxhall Cresta (White with red roof and whitewall tyres) with three speed column change and front bench seat.  I was absolutely gobsmacked when he let me borrow it after passing my test just saying "Be careful." I was, both with the car and its bench seat!  :yes:

Dad had the two-tone blue version, but it was a "four on the floor". IIRC the front seats were split. He traded it before I could drive but I did get to drive his Fiat 125S. It was cunningly designed so that you could dangle your right arm out the window as you drove to facilitate violent gesticulation.

• Like 4
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

As I see it, there are a number of very serious problems in “banning history“; first of all who does the banning and what will be banned?  As George Orwell pointed out in “1984”, rewriting history changes the present: if you re-write history to say that (to provide a trivial example) P4 modelling has always been banned and everyone modelled EM, no-one objects to P4 being banned now, even though the reality was that - before rewriting history - it was EM that was banned and P4 modelled.

Flavio, who is attempting to ban history? (I speak from the perspective of what is happening in the US.)

Every culture writes it's own history and it does change the present and indeed the future.

Secondly, it is both stupid and wrong to judge what people did in, for example, Imperial Rome by the standards of today. Many of those things which we now consider abhorrent, were then hallmarks of a civilised society.  By all means put such history “In context” if you have to, but erasing such history from the books does not change history (as ane fule kno).

History always requires context. Who is erasing history from history books?  I will make the observation that many of them are very inaccurate, but the diligent student will take an interest in multiple views, which are hopefully based on original sources. (I have spent a lot of my adult life reading about the colonial and revolutionary period in the US to better understand why things here are the way they are - and to my great satisfaction, successfully so. Much of 'popular history' is fraught with what I'll call founding myths, but the actual history books are an improvement, if variably so.)

Thirdly, and finally, by getting worked up about past injustices risks people becoming complacent about present injustices. Take for example slavery: it’s all very well and good to decry historical slavery, but what about present day slavery?  I wonder if many of those who are agitating to rewrite history, would agitate for stiffer laws and state action to prevent modern day slavery? I doubt it, as to do so would bring these people to the attention of the various modern day slave runners who, by any account, are very nasty individuals indeed.

I am very confident that a large number of the people protesting in the US right now would indeed agitate for action to prevent modern day slavery.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3