The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 minutes ago, bbishop said:

isn't he off playing golf?  Or have I got my anatomy wrong?

Had the "not discoverer of America" sailed to Los Indes Des Escocia (instead of the Bahamas, Cuba and pranging La Santa María on Hispaniola), he might have encountered golf, though I think that when he sailed the ocean blue, James II (of Scotland) had banned the game for getting in the way of archery.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Had the "not discoverer of America" sailed to Los Indes Des Escocia (instead of the Bahamas, Cuba and pranging La Santa María on Hispaniola), he might have encountered golf, though I think that when he sailed the ocean blue, James II (of Scotland) had banned the game for getting in the way of archery.

I should have referred to Phil's "Professor Higgins" post from yesterday.  Bill

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A dull, but so far dry day, but we appear to have had some rain overnight. I’ll shortly head off to the butchers to collect the weekly meat rations and a pastie for my dinner. Once home and the rations have been put away, I’ll make a second muggertea before heading to the Trafford Centre for a few items that we can’t get at our local Sainsbury’s. After dinner I will visit the dental hygienist for my 6 monthly check up. Not top of my things to do, but the fair Anna (tall, slim blonde) does make the experience tolerable. 

I learned to drive in a Morris Marina, but my first car was a Ford Cortina, which like Dave’s Zephyr, had a column change, bench seat at the front and a hockey stick type hand brake under the dash. At a push, I could just about squeeze 6 in that car, but that bench seat was hand with the girls!

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

There can Only Be one choice of car.. That of James Bond, from the books that is, not the films..

blower-bentley_1462528a[1].jpg

His was in Battleship grey..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 15
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

..Wimp!...

No, not a wimp! I am just supremely lazy. If the car can do it for me, I’ll let the car get on with it (of course, when push comes to shove, I can manually shift gears with the best of them)

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

My other half hates shopping nowadays so not just men....

Would you care to rephrase that sentence? As written, it indicates that your wife hates both shopping and men. Which may or may not have a downside to it, I wouldn’t know.

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

...As far as the banning of history and the current pandemic are concerned I will avoid comment, except to say that both are bringing to the fore some of what I consider the more stupid in society,

As I see it, there are a number of very serious problems in “banning history“; first of all who does the banning and what will be banned?  As George Orwell pointed out in “1984”, rewriting history changes the present: if you re-write history to say that (to provide a trivial example) P4 modelling has always been banned and everyone modelled EM, no-one objects to P4 being banned now, even though the reality was that - before rewriting history - it was EM that was banned and P4 modelled.
Secondly, it is both stupid and wrong to judge what people did in, for example, Imperial Rome by the standards of today. Many of those things which we now consider abhorrent, were then hallmarks of a civilised society.  By all means put such history “In context” if you have to, but erasing such history from the books does not change history (as ane fule kno).

Thirdly, and finally, by getting worked up about past injustices risks people becoming complacent about present injustices. Take for example slavery: it’s all very well and good to decry historical slavery, but what about present day slavery?  I wonder if many of those who are agitating to rewrite history, would agitate for stiffer laws and state action to prevent modern day slavery? I doubt it, as to do so would bring these people to the attention of the various modern day slave runners who, by any account, are very nasty individuals indeed.

28 minutes ago, TheQ said:

My dear Chap, an officer would not have been seen driving, that would be totally lower class. Driving was for the lower ranks.

An officer would normally have had his head through the turret, having a Commanding view..

I spent enough time driving officers around in the 1980s let alone the 1920s

Well of course, my dear fellow, that should be implicitly understood in my post. However, even if a gentleman doesn’t drive his own vehicle, the vehicle in question should be built to the highest possible standards a gentleman can insist upon (including walnut burl for the dashboard)

15 minutes ago, TheQ said:

There can Only Be one choice of car.. That of James Bond, from the books that is, not the films..

blower-bentley_1462528a[1].jpg

His was in Battleship grey..

And not only in battleship grey, but matt battleship grey – as Bond didn’t want to faff around washing his car. Presumably you are also aware that that other gentleman of action, a certain Mr Steed, also drove such a Bentley (if I recall correctly; whilst Mrs Peel, on the other hand, drove a succession of nice little sporty runarounds).

I would accept a 1950s Bentley S1 as a reasonable substitute.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

This has just appeared in an ad for a T-shirt on FB
1206979685_Screenshot2020-06-11at09_45_42.png.a57548c8543dd79ebd260f5b48303a65.png

Typical!

It's totally the wrong gun.

The 'Easy 8' Sherman which had a much superior ride due to the HVSS  (Horizontal Volute Spring system); was fitted with either a short fat 105 mm howitzer for close support or a 76 mm long barreled a/t gun with a muzzle brake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land before its too late.

Yes I did oversleep this morning, the exertions of Tuesday finally caught up with me. I hand balled over 100 large and heavy ceramic floor tiles back into the storage box. The box survived the move with only a little distortion and nothing was broken. I have always had a manual gearbox car with one exception that was a Suzuki Vitara with the V6 engine, there was no manual option. 

9 hours ago, AndyID said:

There's a walnut tree on our other lot. We don't get many of the walnuts because the flipping squirrels pinch them before they are ripe. The tree could do with a bit of a trim. Would the wood (see what I did there) have any value?

Not unless it is of the 'burred' variety which comes from the root of the tree. A burr is caused by a parasite that causes the tree to create a 'burr', a large ball at the base of the trunk. The burr is a mass of twigs that grow into each other to form a solid mass which when cut into has the swirled effect that is so desirable.

https://graftedwalnuts.co.uk/burr.html 

As for Rolls-Royce Armoured cars having walnut dashes no they did not neither did many luxury cars until the 1930's when more owners started driving themselves. Before then 'luxury' woods would have been confined to the rear passenger compartment. Walnuts rarely ripen fully in the UK climate, though that may change due to global warming so generally the unripe fruit is picked and pickled. If you've never tried pickled walnuts you should do, they're delicious.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1