The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

My dad taught me to double-declutch and heel-and-toe while I was learning to drive (1965), and it became quite routine to do it. I got quite a few sideways looks from my driving examiner and once we had finished and he told me I‘d passed, he asked me where I had learned to do those things.

• Like 18

11 hours ago, Tony_S said:

his brother was awful. He only cut hair in the winter as he had an ice cream van during the summer.

"A little ice cream sir? Sorry, I should have said Brylcreem."

• Funny 18

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

So, dual-fuel (electric and coal) with generator and traction engine hidden under the boiler?

Clever piece of kit. ;)

There was a gigantic immersion heating element in the boiler. Effective but terribly inefficient.

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

5 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

I wonder if the armoured cars Rolls Royce made during WWI had walnut dashboards?

Robert

There's a walnut tree on our other lot. We don't get many of the walnuts because the flipping squirrels pinch them before they are ripe. The tree could do with a bit of a trim. Would the wood (see what I did there) have any value?

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I believe that’s a an equalizing beam for the first two axels, works on the same basic principle as a beam engine. A lot of engines of that vintage had them, but much smaller.

the one below is on a LCDR Small Scotchman

98EE61EE-DAAB-4A1B-BFC7-AA520AC04FDE.png

What's going on under the rail? Is it some sort of point rodding?

• Like 10

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

There was a gigantic immersion heating element in the boiler. Effective but terribly inefficient.

Well, ... it is a kettle.

Unless les kettles belges sont pour les frites.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning to all, and sundry of course.  Builders finished yesterday and I spent a lot of the day taking excess materials back. So far I'm €515 to the good.  More of that to do today.  The decorator started but is treading on dangerous ground. He suddenly  demanded paying in cas at 7pm last night. Then Beth discovered that not only were there paint splashes on a wood floor but someone had used her face flannel to clean up paint.  Words will be had when they arrive.  Apart from that it's grey and damp.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 19

All the chat about France stirred up a few memories. I think our first trip to the Med must have been in 1959. The Frejus Disaster happened not long after we passed though there which is why it sticks in memory.

My mum and dad knew this gent quite well - I think he was in Irvine for a while. I was too young to really appreciate what he had done when we visited him in Paris. I should have taken a lot of notes. Hindsight is always 20/20.

• Like 19

37 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Mind you, this newly acquired knowledge is purely academic as I switched to a fully automatic gearbox many decades ago.

Wimp!

(Mind you, I think the last "stick" I had was a VW VR6 Gti. It was more than ridiculous.)

Edited by AndyID
Moinfo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 12

20 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Whilst clearly tragic and sad for the families involved, a few hundred thousand excess deaths worldwide really makes absolutely no difference to us as a species.

Numerically speaking, that goes without saying. Even a million excess deaths in a population of 7 billion is less than 0.02%, but I'd prefer I wasn't one of them.

The 66 million excess deaths in WW2 made essentially no dent in the population growth of the 20th century and arguably triggered an increase in population growth with the baby boom - except in the Soviet Union where the population took some time to recover.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

A strange news day today.

NASCAR has banned Confederate flags. NASCAR!!! This might not seem like a big deal (and there are presently no fans at NASCAR races in the wake of the pandemic anyway) but National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing events (mostly held south of the Mason-Dixon line) are usually an ocean of Confederate battle flags. This feels monumentally symbolic to me.

A few days ago the USMC banned the use of or any image of the Confederate battle flag. The USN decided to follow suit.

Meanwhile the US Army decided they will rename bases presently named after Confederate generals like Robert E. Lee, Braxton Bragg and A.P. Hill. However, the 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Bunker inspector-in-chief declared that this will not be permitted.

The streaming service HBOmax decided that the film "Gone With the Wind" would not be available until they can provide some context. A late night wag noted that HBOmax's response to people objecting to this decision could be found here. The Walt Disney company had already long decided to bury (the possibly even more racist) "Song of the South" and withhold it from the Disney+ streaming service.

It wasn't a good day to be a statue of Cristóbal Colón either. Apparently some of them "fell" over.

Interesting times.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9

6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A strange news day today.

NASCAR has banned Confederate flags. NASCAR!!! This might not seem like a big deal (and there are presently no fans at NASCAR races in the wake of the pandemic anyway) but National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing events (mostly held south of the Mason-Dixon line) are usually an ocean of Confederate battle flags. This feels monumentally symbolic to me.

A few days ago the USMC banned the use of any use or image of the Confederate battle flag. The USN decided to follow suit.

Meanwhile the US Army decided they will rename bases presently named after Confederate generals like Robert E. Lee, Braxton Bragg and A.P. Hill. However, the 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Bunker inspector-in-chief declared that this will not be permitted.

The streaming service HBOmax decided that the film "Gone With the Wind" would not be available until they can provide some context. A late night wag noted that HBOmax's response to people objecting to this decision could be found here. The Walt Disney company had already long decided to bury (the possibly even more racist) "Song of the South" and withhold it from the Disney+ streaming service.

It wasn't a good day to be a statue of Cristobal Colon either. Apparently some of them "fell" over.

Interesting times.

That horrible flag is no more than a Swastica. Germany sorted itself out but the US is still in denial.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

28 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It wasn't a good day to be a statue of Cristóbal Colón either. Apparently some of them "fell" over.

isn't he off playing golf?  Or have I got my anatomy wrong?  Bill

• Funny 9