The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

51 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Some kind of track brake I think.

54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What's the triangular arrangement under the axles of the foremost drivers?

I believe that’s a an equalizing beam for the first two axels, works on the same basic principle as a beam engine. A lot of engines of that vintage had them, but much smaller.

the one below is on a LCDR Small Scotchman

98EE61EE-DAAB-4A1B-BFC7-AA520AC04FDE.png

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
Horrific grammar and spelling
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

If you read LTC Rolt's autobiography, you will find  him less than complimentary about the Merlin engine production line and the quality of the finished product.

However, in defence of RR, they were banging these engines out in their thousands, and they were not being built for longevity.

I wonder if the armoured cars Rolls Royce made during WWI had walnut dashboards?

Robert

• Like 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I wonder if the armoured cars Rolls Royce made during WWI had walnut dashboards?

Robert

You certainly got a chauffeur!

There is a Royce Mk 1 Armoured Car in the tank museum at Bovington, so it could possibly be checked out by a local member if you are desperate to know

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What's the triangular arrangement under the axles of the foremost drivers?

It's the Belgian equivalent of a Trix Twin pick up skate as seen fore and aft of the front and rear driving wheels of this 66xx.

1241382427_66pickups.jpg.1467e7300ac2f494e1ab4732a470b981.jpg

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 3
  • Funny 15

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's the Belgian equivalent of a Trix Twin pick up skate as seen fore and aft of the front and rear driving wheels of this 66xx.

So, dual-fuel (electric and coal) with generator and traction engine hidden under the boiler?

Clever piece of kit. ;)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 15

Evening all.

Busy day today.

Started learning more about new job (3 weeks in and still not done more than the induction - but thrn we are in strange times).

Downloaded and played an old computer game - Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (got it free through Steam!) - I could not play it at all. Controls all over the place, graphics awful, but nostalgia 5-stars!

Have been mulling over this £500 budget for model railway things too.

Can only think of a couple of locos I'd want. The 800 is nice but not worth the money.

Watched some videos on the ECoS. I don't think I'd use enough of it to make that worth it.

However! :o Why I didn't think about signalling I'll never know! So much of today was looking at infared control boards and Eckon signals - about £200 worth of kit to power 6-8 signals.

Plus, I have another £100 ready for coach lighting (on back order).

Suddenly my £500 is slipping away :lol:

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

49 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

You certainly got a chauffeur!

There is a Royce Mk 1 Armoured Car in the tank museum at Bovington, so it could possibly be checked out by a local member if you are desperate to know

Presumably he had a flat cap rather than a helmet.

I don’t need anyone to check it out for me as I’d like to make the trip myself and finding out before would ruin my trip!

Robert

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

26 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I often give people the challenge of trying to get in and out of our Lotus Europa in under 5 min, without dislocating any limbs. No successful victors so far. I believe it to be the only car that is short enough to actually drive under a semi truck or lorry, which ever you prefer.

2DF55E16-3824-43C3-B50F-477C56967D34.jpeg

Most of my friends won’t even try to get in my for fear of not being able to get out!

A36DB74C-7557-46D2-8B14-D79601654BE8.jpeg.a009956e8da47f9f04bbfb1bcdf00a05.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

54 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I often give people the challenge of trying to get in and out of our Lotus Europa in under 5 min, without dislocating any limbs. No successful victors so far. I believe it to be the only car that is short enough to actually drive under a semi truck or lorry, which ever you prefer.

2DF55E16-3824-43C3-B50F-477C56967D34.jpeg

Is that some kind of ute? They have the same kind of thing here, 6.2litres of  V8  gets things to the tip pretty quick.

HSV-GTS-Maloo.jpg.7494ab5e6862e69693bef32aae1d1e32.jpg

Mines yellow, I'v never had to search for it in a carpark for more than about 2 seconds - "Now where did I par... oh, way over  there!"

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A local museum, Castle Point,  has just announced that it is scrapping its 2020 program, no great surprise there as like many preserved railways the volunteers are getting a bit long in the tooth and the risks are to great. It was toad in the hole for dinner tonight. One of these days I'll have a go at one of my mum's specialities, lamb chop toad in the hole.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Is that some kind of ute? They have the same kind of thing here, 6.2litres of  V8  gets things to the tip pretty quick.

HSV-GTS-Maloo.jpg.7494ab5e6862e69693bef32aae1d1e32.jpg

Mines yellow, I'v never had to search for it in a carpark for more than about 2 seconds - "Now where did I par... oh, way over  there!"

No, it’s just a slightly Ute looking 70s sports car, I though the same thing when my dad bought it.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I once test drove a Lotus Europa and had no real problem getting in or out. Neat car to drive but I really did not want to own one. For one thing where would one put the groceries? :biggrin_mini:

• Like 6
  • Funny 13

1 minute ago, J. S. Bach said:

I once test drove a Lotus Europa and had no real problem getting in or out. Neat car to drive but I really did not want to own one. For one thing where would one put the groceries? :biggrin_mini:

There’s a bit of a boot in the back behind the engine, but it’s not robust enough to put anything, decently large however for its kind.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Reminds me of the 72 Chrysler Newport Custom that I got from a friend, the hood was quite flat and about ten feet long; I thought that I was back on the Kitty Hawk getting ready to launch a strike mission! It was quuite easy to find in any lot as it stuck out about five or more feet more than all but a few pickups, etc.

• Like 6
  • Funny 12