The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Those 1 ton landies used to turn over nearly as easily as the early Suzuki's did too.

Yes, I was in the back of friend's Suzuki when he thought he would turn it round in  factory forecourt, far too quickly. His arm went through the driver's window when we hit the ground. I was behind him and there was only a canvas "window", so I ended up with just a minor scratch.

And an aversion to climbing into Suzukis.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Good morning owl from the Piedmont. Well, I just got back from doing my civic duty, voting in the primary. Next one will be in November; I can't wait! :yahoo_mini:

Do I detect a note of sarcasm there...……………………….? 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Belgium is sometimes held up as a model for the way Northern Ireland could be sorted out but I do wonder.  There are some very interesting consequences in state employmnent in Belgium as all state institutions have to maintain not only a similar number of French and Flemish speakers but also a similar number of Protestants and Catholics.  

Mike,  I'm going to disagree with you here.  The Belgian Revolution was basically the catholic south of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands breaking away from the protestant north, which was dominating economically and, to a lesser extent, religiously.  So the catholic Flemards joined with the Walloons to create the Kingdom of the Belgians.  The offered the throne to Victoria's German uncle who I'm pretty certain was a protestant. The religious factor may be the cause of  the Belgian enclaves on the Dutch side of the border.

I was thinking of discussing the different attitude of the Dutch and the Belgians towards the Holocaust.  Worth studying but probably too political for ER.    Bill

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

1 hour ago, bbishop said:

... The Belgian Revolution ...

Bill, I would have thought the roots of these "troubles" lay further back into the chaos of the transition from the old Burgundian rule to the Spanish Hapsburgs, closely followed by the reformation and counter reformation (encompassing the Dutch revolt and 80 years' war).

I don't pretend to know but I wonder if a concentration of Catholicism in Flemish Belgium has roots in the Prince-Bishopric of Liège (mostly west of the Meuse but extending well north of Brussels) which existed at various times as a separate entity from the Spanish Netherlands and the Dutch Republic and is today bisected into Flemish and Walloon regions.

EDIT:

According to Wikipedia, religion in Belgium, where professed (excepting atheists and agnostics) is predominantly Roman Catholic and that Belgian Flanders was traditionally Catholic - and as Bill points out part of the Belgian revolt from the United Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Mike,  I'm going to disagree with you here.  The Belgian Revolution was basically the catholic south of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands breaking away from the protestant north, which was dominating economically and, to a lesser extent, religiously.  So the catholic Flemards joined with the Walloons to create the Kingdom of the Belgians.  The offered the throne to Victoria's German uncle who I'm pretty certain was a protestant. The religious factor may be the cause of  the Belgian enclaves on the Dutch side of the border.

I worked for a company that made typesetting terminals with customized keyboards. Some of them could switch between languages. We made some for Belgium and our distributor in Brussels insisted the switch over key was engraved "French/Dutch". "Flemish" was absolutely out of the question.

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I was at the park with Robbie once and someone thought it was amusing to irritate the cute spaniel with an RC off road car thing. Amazing how fast a working cocker can turn and chase. I had deliberately set off in the opposite direction to the people operating their vehicles. I think  Robbie eased  off when he realised the vehicle wasn’t edible.

The black and white cat is no longer bothered by it now. he just sits there and closes his eyes especially when I have turned the sound off. This is the first cat I have known that begs  with his right paw. My other half would love a cat like him but in normal times we are away to much to have pets.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Bill, I would have thought the roots of these "troubles" lay further back into the chaos of the transition from the old Burgundian rule to the Spanish Hapsburgs, closely followed by the reformation and counter reformation (encompassing the Dutch revolt and 80 years' war).

I don't pretend to know but I wonder if a concentration of Catholicism in Flemish Belgium has roots in the Prince-Bishopric of Liège (mostly west of the Meuse but extending well north of Brussels) which existed at various times as a separate entity from the Spanish Netherlands and the Dutch Republic and is today bisected into Flemish and Walloon regions.

EDIT:

According to Wikipedia, religion in Belgium, where professed (excepting atheists and agnostics) is predominantly Roman Catholic and that Belgian Flanders was traditionally Catholic - and as Bill points out part of the Belgian revolt from the United Kingdom of the Netherlands.

The most important thing about Belgium is that they brew excellent beer. I really miss the times we have been with Andrew C / Mrs C in Little Delirium drinking Cactus. Fingers crossed we will be able to do the same in the not to distant future.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The original Land Rover concept was as an agricultural vehicle that could substitute for a tractor if need be.

Yes, I've seen the pics. The PTO would be quite useful for powering stationary equipment and some farm implements but I don't think a LD (or a Jeep) would be able to compete with a tractor when conditions were "heavy going". The tyres are too small and skinny and the view of the ground ahead of the wheels is restricted.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, TheQ said:

The Champ Had a RR B40 Engine, (2800 ish CC) though the modified later ones were built by Austin.

Was that the RR engine they put in the Austin Westminster? Can't remember what they called it but I think they added an "R" at the end.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Do I detect a note of sarcasm there...……………………….? 

Actually, no sarcasm was intended. There were two questions on party A's ballot that were not on party B's ballot. I asked at the polling place and was told something to the effect that if the questions passed in the primary, they would be on the ballot for the general election in November.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Garden storage box emptied and moved, and refilled. The bag of grout turned out to be solid at the bottom so absolutely useless, but never mind. I also pruned back the California lilac that was overgrowing the box.

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

Was that the RR engine they put in the Austin Westminster? Can't remember what they called it but I think they added an "R" at the end.

It was the six cylinder variant of the same engine.

4 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

I did read somewhere that fitting some with a Rolls-Royce radiator grill and selling it as a 'baby' Rolls-Royce was contemplated but Rolls-Royce lost interest.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Garden storage box emptied and moved, and refilled. The bag of grout turned out to be solid at the bottom so absolutely useless, but never mind. I also pruned back the California lilac that was overgrowing the box.

It was the six cylinder variant of the same engine.

I did read somewhere that fitting some with a Rolls-Royce radiator grill and selling it as a 'baby' Rolls-Royce but Rolls-Royce lost interest.

I worked for a BMC garage in 1972 ish - apparently they were a right bu99er to service and spares took an age.

• Informative/Useful 14

In response to Mike, Ozexpats, recent posting, how long more can these protests go on for prolonging the lockdown for some and inconveniencing others?  Its is a bit overdone and it would be considered racist in this day and age to offer objections to what is becoming an serious event world wide, especially with the destruction of property and history and not even counting the cost of protection and clean up.

We are now in Phase Two and can venture out a bit more, even got a haircut!:secret:

Brian.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, brianusa said:

... how long more can these protests go on for prolonging the lockdown for some and inconveniencing others?

I think in the minds of the peaceful protesters, they appear to be willing to continue until something material changes. This is the difference I see now compared with more rage-fueled riots in Ferguson, MO, in 2014. I think they are making a courageous stand - and perhaps one that is very risky in the light of the pandemic.

I imagine they see inconvenience (to themselves and to others) as a small price to pay if they can move the needle on social inequities, particularly in policing. The US has not yet overcome it's "original sin".  Perhaps the US Senate will consider the bill proposed in the the House by the Congressional Black Caucus? George Floyd was laid to rest today.

As to those of a more anarchic bent who like to provoke the police into heavy-handed tactics (as is happening here late in the evening) I find their approach self-aggrandizing and deleterious to the spirit and impact of the rest of the protest movement. At some point the 24 hour news cycle will lose interest and move on to something new. Once the cameras stop rolling protests will inevitably lose steam.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2