The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

23 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

....  As to Terry Thomas, perhaps he's not recognised  like the others is because the characters he played have nowadays become politicians...

I’m not sure if that’s fair or not. At least many of Terry Thomas’s “Cad“ creations were likeable characters, even if you couldn’t trust them as far as you could throw them, whereas how many of the current batch of politicians are actually likeable individuals?

21 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

...pre-prepared tonight's dinner yesterday (cheese and onion pie since you ask)...

Well, I actually am asking, Dave....:D

Did you make the pastry and filling, assemble the pie in advance,  put it in the fridge and bake it yesterday evening or did you actually prepare and bake it the day before? I am very curious, as the idea of a cheese and onion pie appeals (especially if there are lots of onions), but I’m not sure whether it should be eaten hot or cold. Do illuminate me.

20 hours ago, Tony_S said:

..... In Switzerland do you get Happy Birthday sung in all official languages?

I am not sure, probably not. Although Switzerland has four official languages (with English being the fifth, unofficial, lingua franca),  There tends to be a certain amount of linguistic purity in the various language areas of the country.
Officially, the tendency has been for the children in one linguistic group to learn another major Swiss language (e.g. a Swiss German child should learn French in school)  But there was a recent brouhaha emanating from the French part of Switzerland when a large German-speaking canton (I think it was Zürich) decided to teach English instead of French to children on the basis that English was the more useful language. 

18 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

...Alas I have never risen to the ranks of the Maserati owners club but there indeed there is an exclusivity bestowed by a name instead of those common or garden Ferraris tootling round with just a number. (That is not a jest, I have long regarded the Maserati marque as being more exclusive and desirable than Enzo's boy racermobiles.)...

I too am not overly enamoured with Ferraris, I find that they are incredibly uncomfortable, unlike a Maserati.  There is, unfortunately, an association between Ferrari and “rich boy racers“ who tend to compensate (or so it is claimed by the cynical) for having a small organ and a large wallet by buying these vehicles.  The other Italian supercar, is of course, the Lamborghini in its various guises. Although “Automobili Lamborghini“- as a company was created much later than, and as a separate company to, Signor Lamborghini’s tractor factory, you can still annoy Lamborghini owners by observing that they do have a very fast tractor.

In comparison,  Maseratis exude class. Unfortunately, even if I did have the necessary liquidity and SWMBO permission to acquire a Maserati Levante (their version of a SUV), I could well be in for a long wait, as Maserati has set a global production output of 75,000 vehicles/year (most of which being bespoke orders and not “off the production line and straight to the dealers“ sort of thing)

13 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I likewise have only one album but in a rather different style.  "Duets" showcases her with the vocal talents of a number of perhaps lesser-known others.  Here's my clear favourite track from that album 

Linda Ronstadt does indeed have a lovely voice, although some of her earlier output was a little bit too much country and western for my taste. The video that you posted was quite interesting as it showed how she has aged over the decades. Sadly, she can no longer sing because of progressive supranuclear palsy and she has also, equally sadly, put on quite a lot of weight.
I noted later on in the ER thread, a number of postings referring to Maddie Prior of Steeleye Span. Maddie,  like Annie Haslam of Renaissance, still has a beautiful voice but sadly one that is but a shadow of its former glory (nonetheless having said that, even in their twilight years both Maddie Prior and Annie Haslam make many of today’s  female singers seem shrill, harsh and unmusical in comparison)

12 hours ago, Barry O said:

Surprisngly enough it did but you add some "additives" to help it along. Perhaps @iL Dottore can check what the swiss centurion owners club of Thun use in theirs?

Baz

When I am next rummaging around the Internet I will see what I can find out (but no promises, mind)

11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

... Snopes had a field day with an earlier version of this essay and gave it a big fat "FALSE".

I had never heard of Snopes before, but a quick look at the website indicates that it will be a very useful to visit on a fairly regular basis. Thanks for the link.

10 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

I use an additive in my Lotus, but when I had a VW beetle in the late 80s I just switched from leaded to unleaded.

Im interested in AFVs  and often I seen a quote to the effect that one of these vehicles is preserved at Thun tank museum but have never seen mention of it when I’m on holiday in the area. Anyone know anything about it? I know there is a large military base there, by the main railway line.

Regards 

Robert

I’ll have to have to ask Mrs iD. I believe that many, many years ago she was posted to Thun during a tour of duty (when she was going through her “idealistic phase” in her late teens she had volunteered for the Swiss Army. National Service is obligatory for men, optional for women).

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I went to Tess Coe's this afternoon and I asked the bakery if they still did bread pudding. The answer was in the affirmative but they only do a batch when they have sufficient unsold loaves. This was normal practice before the lockdown and still carries on. So its still pot luck as to whether its available when you visit a store.

It sounds to me, Phil, that you need to cultivate the ladies (they are almost invariably ladies) in the local Tesco bakery. Perhaps a mild flirtation? A compliment or two and the occasional sympathetic word about difficult customers (of which, I am sure, you are not one) could lead to you being provided with advance notice of bread pudding production.

I believe that one of the valuable skills of a true gentleman is the ability to cultivate a good working relationship with the suppliers of his comestibles. A few cordial words, some understanding of their problems and a good knowledge about what they are supplying you will work wonders. Such relationships need to be built up and cultivated over time but are infinitely rewarding. An understanding and knowledgeable customer will always benefit more than those who barge into the Emporium and just bark out “gimme this, gimme that” and “can’t you do it any cheaper“.

Finally, my thanks to all who wished me a happy birthday yesterday. It was a pleasant, albeit aimless, day cumulating in a fairly reasonable home-cooked Indian Thali (Mango Chutney, Mango Pickle, Jewel Rice, Saag Paneer, Dhal, Onion Bhaji and Mint Raita). A birthday gift bottle of Balvenie Doublewood was cracked open and a wee dram had before bed.

Another wonderfully aimless day beckons, I bid you all a good morning and I may be back later

Cheers

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 19

28 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Although Switzerland has four official languages (with English being the fifth, unofficial, lingua franca),  There tends to be a certain amount of linguistic purity in the various language areas of the country.

I could guess three but had to look up the fourth (Romansh) of which I had never heard. Ignorant of that I would have punned "Swiss Cantonese". 

• Like 4
  • Funny 10

18 minutes ago, AndyID said:

It's cold here. Snowing in some parts.

We had significant mountain snow over the weekend. Today was cool and cloudy and valley rain returned at dinnertime. It's been raining consistently since then and is forecast to rain tomorrow.

With the weekend rain we have exceeded our monthly average for June already. It's nice to be ahead of the curve on rainfall for a change* but the calendar says it is (meteorological) summer. This evening, a punny meteorologist declared it to be "Junuary" this week. 

* We're still more than 8" shy of our normal "rain year" totals. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

The North West Leeds Highlands are bathed in sunshine ..someone still hasn't paid for the outside heating though!

Sanding down and gloss paint application day today. To help in my painting work her indoors has bought me some new paint brushes. Woopppiddddooo! Not!

Mugatea available so...

Have a good day, make the best use of the time available!

TTFN

Baz

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning from an overcast Surrey. As its dry I may cut the lawns before it rains over the next few days. I also hope to complete the moving of the patio paving slabs and extension to the paving on the right hand side.

First this morning will be a trip to drop food off at Mums. She's feeling very lonely now that the kids have gone back to HK.

Our 99% expectation that our flights to the USA next month would be cancelled is now 100%, as just received the email from the airline with them pushing in big banners, to convert the flight to points and much further down in very small print is the link to claim a full refund. That's the one I will be using later.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

7 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

... our flights to the USA next month would be cancelled ...

Multnomah County (Portland) is still in full lockdown. You wouldn't know if from the protesting - today is the eleventh consecutive day. The remainder of the state is gradually reopening.

Lincoln County's plans to move from phase one of reopening to phase two are now delayed due to a CoViD-19 cluster of 124 cases at Pacific Seafood (a seafood processor) in Newport.  This was the major contributor to new cases in the last week.

Except for the northwest corner of the state most counties (29 of 36) are heading to phase two reopening.

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Sunny outside at the moment, but according to the app on my phone, there is a slight chance of rain within the hour. Breakfast has now been consumed and I will shortly head outside and make a start on the bench framework. It isn’t in too bad a condition and shouldn’t too much work to get it to the stage where a first coat of primer can be applied, which hopefully will be this afternoon. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It isn’t quite as overcast today but it isn’t that warm. Aditi has gardening plans, I volunteered to listen for the Parcelforce and DPD deliveries.  The one item that has failed to appear recently on our shopping has been flour, especially strong flour for bread making, so I ordered a  box from Doves Farm. We had one a month or so ago.  As well as the strong flours it has a few random selection 1kg bags of flour. We will use whatever arrives though if we are unlucky enough to receive coconut flour it won’t be me eating the cake!

The other item arriving today will enable me to trim my hair. I am not going to use them today. I will be going out tomorrow for a blood test and I don’t want to go out with an experimental haircut. Aditi has volunteered to help. At least she can see close up again thanks to the optician repairing her spectacles.
Tony

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Morning, this talk of folk rockers brought back some memories, I was always more of a Fairport man myself and saw them many times in the '60's and 70's. Lieg and Lief is still one of my favourite albums of that genre.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare, 908/568

I personally wouldn't have a super car around here, most are way to wide for our  narrow roads, the suspension couldn't cope with the bumps, road humps.  They are so low, going round a corner a tractor on a single track road wouldn't see you and run straight over you..

I used to drive my old Aston Martin round your neck of the woods when visiting family in Tunstead.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sun is shinning at the moment so I'll have to get out and get the storage box moved. its not very heavy but its big, 3' X 3' X 5' and a bit fragile.

6 hours ago, AndyID said:

I doubt it. How long did LDs support that "feature"?

Apart from a some particular situations neither Jeeps nor Land Rovers were good substitutes for tractors.

The original Land Rover concept was as an agricultural vehicle that could substitute for a tractor if need be. The prototype even had a central steering wheel with that in mind. A similar concept and at the same time resulted in the Unimog. Flavio, regrettably the bakery at my local Tesco's is manned in every sense of the word at the moment. I haven't seen any of the ladies who normally work there for ages and though this sounds unchivalrous I would not describe any of them as young. My remarks though were for Chris F's information as he was asking if they were still making bread pudding.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, AndyID said:

I doubt it. How long did LDs support that "feature"?

Apart from a some particular situations neither Jeeps nor Land Rovers were good substitutes for tractors.

The rear PTO was definitely available into the late 1970s as there was still a price quoted for it in 1976 and the source which mentions that indicates it was still available in the 1980s and I can definitely remember LRs back then which had the hole for the PTO shaft.  It was definitely avaialble on the Series 1 - 3 and the 90 and 110 models.   I'm not sure though how long the pulley belt drive (which worked through a gear box off the rear PTO) was available but a price was still quoted for it in 1976.

You can see the hole for the PTO in this picture of a K reg 110

110.jpg.0c9581c47a5fd63eb6c50370dc55e2f1.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
Add picture
  • Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I hadn’t the faintest idea whether or not original  Jeeps had a PTO but Google soon provided the answer. It was an optional part and the mounting holes were standard. At my secondary school the engineering (never ever called metalwork) department had an Austin Champ and an Austin Gipsy. I don’t recall them ever moving under their own power. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... A birthday gift bottle of Balvenie Doublewood was cracked open and a wee dram had before bed.

Cheers

iD

A wee dram??? Sounds like the waste of the rest of the bottle! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 11