The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Clear blue skies here again. It has been the same all week. Strange sitting here listening to Dave and TonyG talking about constant heavy rain not that far away.

Looks similar for the weekend which is a pity as I fancied popping over to see the steam specials tomorrow.

?

Sad to see that the ever decreasing Boeing 707 fleet has been reduced by one more airframe today, having crashed on take off from Point Mugu Naval Air Station. Thankfully, the crew got out alive - which is very good news.

BBC News

I loved the 707 too. I seem to recall a video of one performing a barrel roll (in the hands of a test pilot)! I expect it is on YouTube somewhere but I'm feeling lazy...

Best, Pete.

Guest tony graham

Morning all,

Halfway through my shift, roll on 1pm and then the weekend can start. Sitting in Preston for my train to Glasgow and Pleased that the day has started of dry again.

The Minister of War & Finance is joining me at Carlisle with her mum for the journey to Glasgow as they are off shopping which reminds me that I must report the credit card as lost or stolen before she gets chance to use them.

So when I get home and she is away I can bring the toys in that are in the boot of the car without her noticing.

Have a good day all,

Don't try that in an Airbus.

Absolutely! The 707 first flew in 1954, the KC-135 (Tanker) jockeys in the States joke that the last KC-135 pilot hasn't even been born yet. I can't see many early Airbuses still flying in half a Century. B)

Don't try that in an Airbus.......................................................................

Thanks for finding that!

Pete.

As they say at the end of the tour of the Boeing plant in Everett WA. "If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going. :yes:

Guest Max Stafford

Dare we suggest that the 707 might even surpass the DC3s record longevity?

Or will there still be a Dak at work somewhere in South America in 2035? B)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

The trip to the doctor's turned out a bit more exciting than predicted. I left my wife there so she would be able to go to work straight after the appointment and I walked home. Just as I got there they phone rang and she said the car was making a terrible rattling screeching noise and the alternator light had come on. I drove over in my car and after a quick look, noticed that the alternator drive belt was shredded and suggested she drove the short distance to the very nice garage on our local industrial estate. They had a quick look and confirmed the belt had gone and they will find out why and let us know. It is the sort of reliable garage that can be totally trusted.

Tony

When did the B52 first fly?

1952 IIRC

I am sure that there'll be Dakotas flying around for ever!

As far as I know, there aren't any passenger 707s left in service - but there are a surprising number of freight, military and private examples.

Of course, the KC-135s have been re-engined, which is a bit of a shame. There's nothing quite like the sound, smell and sight of four P&W JT3's on takeoff power!

Guest Max Stafford

The critical part of it is the condition of the main wing spar as I understand it, Mick. As you say though, there is a constant cycle of repair and renewal with aircraft that does indeed remind you of the mythical broom! At some point, Avgas will become either prohibitively rare or expensive, thereby grounding the last ones or forcing their conversion to turboprop power as has in fact been done, even as early as 1953!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Here's one question which somebody with knowledge of car mechanics might be able to answer... What exactly happens when you set an automatic transmission to "N"? I would guess the torque converter's drained on this setting, and filled only when you select R, D or any other drive setting... :unsure:

• RMweb Gold

Here's one question which somebody with knowledge of car mechanics might be able to answer... What exactly happens when you set an automatic transmission to "N"? I would guess the torque converter's drained on this setting, and filled only when you select R, D or any other drive setting... :unsure:

I don't know what happens on mine but I think the torque converter stays fluid filled and the N selector disconnects any drive between the gearbox and torque converter. Mine is a six speed automatic but you can select individual gears if you want but I've never bothered.

Tony

Evening all! Excuse absence, been fencing (the wooden variety) all day then Freemasons.

Bit miffed as it looks like I didn't even get an interview for an internal job I went for. What's annoying is that I know I absolutely nailed the application, best one I've ever written and it covered all the bases. Frustrating...

I used to fly Air Experience Flights with the RAF when I was at school, we were still flying De Havilland Chipmunks 49 years after they were introduced. They were great fun little planes, I would love to own one of them!

Guest Max Stafford

I remember the AEF Chipmunks, Mick. I'm not sure if there was one at Glasgow Airport but I remember seeing a couple sitting outside the hangars at RAF Turnhouse. They looked rather natty in their red and white trainer livery. I also like them in the earlier livery of overall silver with yellow bands.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

This evening, I decided to take a drive up to Whitrope and give Abi a walk over Sandy Edge, the hill through which the tunnel passes.

In the first couple of photos, you can see the two cottages so often seen in photos taken during the route's more active days.

Photo 4 shows some of the sizeable earthworks above the south portal.

Photo 5 is more less at the top of Sandy edge and in the centre, you can see the route snaking round from Langburnshiels, itself just round a curve from Shankend.

Number 6 shows the distant Rubers Law which will lend its name to my new project and the photo below shows Leap Hill and the Maiden Paps, both to the west of the line.

Coming down off the hill I paid a visit to the southern portal, stopping at Summit on the way. You might just be able to make out the nasty drop-in just inside the tunnel mouth which occurred in 2003 I believe, during a particularly unpleasant wet spell. Hopefully, this will be put right one day. There's also a big pile of blue brick waiting for repairs to be carried out to the massive retaining walls which need to be kept in top condition for when the trains return...

Finally, the obligatory Shanked Viaduct shot and looking particularly beautiful on a sunny May evening.

I hope these photos convey some of the atmosphere of the place. Obviously there are masses of coniferous trees in place of the largely bare hills of fifty years ago, but with luck you may well start to 'get' something of what this wonderful railway and landscape is about. It's a place and a subject that stirs powerful emotions in those who do 'get it'!

Dave.

post-6676-0-77570800-1305933214_thumb.jpg

post-6676-0-11318600-1305933243_thumb.jpg

post-6676-0-47463100-1305933284_thumb.jpg

post-6676-0-40483000-1305933320_thumb.jpg

post-6676-0-43105400-1305933348_thumb.jpg

post-6676-0-58326000-1305933368_thumb.jpg

post-6676-0-04804900-1305933391_thumb.jpg

post-6676-0-24560900-1305933412_thumb.jpg

post-6676-0-97571400-1305933443_thumb.jpg

post-6676-0-06535500-1305933467_thumb.jpg

post-6676-0-37193000-1305933490_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I remember the AEF Chipmunks, Mick. I'm not sure if there was one at Glasgow Airport but I remember seeing a couple sitting outside the hangars at RAF Turnhouse. They looked rather natty in their red and white trainer livery. I also like them in the earlier livery of overall silver with yellow bands.

Dave.

They were cracking little planes, light as a feather as they had canvas wings. I used to fly them at RAF Leeming, got a few hours of flying in them, including a fair bit of aerobatics.

Great photos Dave, lets hope eventually we get the line fully reopened at some point...

• RMweb Premium

Sure looks like the Waverley Route was an awesome place – thanks for sharing those photos, Dave! :yes:

Morning all – 16° and somewhat humid at the moment, so I wonder how the weather will turn out later on. I believe I'll be spending the day with some tidying up as I got a couple of storage boxes from Ikea yesterday, and some revision as well – probably.