The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

An incredibly relaxing long weekend beckons; I will walk the dogs as Mrs ID packs the car for her trip to the Holiday Hovel in the mountains, I will then dash to the local electronics store (now open) and acquire a 2 TB hard disk to expand my PS4 storage capabilities.

To all, except JohnDMJ I wish you a splendid POETS day; whereas I wish JohnDMJ another productive POTS day! :jester:

I may be back later. You have been warned!

iD

Go for an SSD if you can (Solid State Disc, no moving parts!)

Happy Friday!

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

10 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Be that as it may, I now have to find a face covering device for when I commit the socially unacceptable act of riding on a bus. 

Do avoid Amazon as a source. (At least in my experience.) They will come from China, be too small and take months to arrive.

I found sourcing masks to be difficult and am amazed at the variety that I see people wear. Makers of kilts have taken to running up masks in your choice of tartan. At this point I have several different masks from different suppliers, unlike Goldilocks' three bowls of porridge, none of them being entirely satisfactory,

Those with a bendable metal nose bridge help (somewhat) with not fogging spectacles. It is difficult to determine ahead whether there will be sufficient nose to chin coverage or whether they will be not too tight nor not too loose. Elastic ear loops might seem like a good idea but these are rarely adjustable. Those that tie behind the head might be more comfortable. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, chrisf said:

If I had a suspicious nature, I might well be wondering whether certain people in relatively high places have shares in the firms which make masks.  Then again, I am sceptical of much advice issued by those who rule us and marvel at how readily it is accepted by those who are ruled.  Be that as it may, I now have to find a face covering device for when I commit the socially unacceptable act of riding on a bus.  I have a bus pass which is now valid all day and there are still two buses an hour where once there were seven, so why shouldn’t I?  So how to cover the potentially infectious bits of my face?  In addition to my first choice of the rainbow bandana, I have my old college scarf, which I admit needs a good wash, another scarf and a knitted balaclava which I bought to help keep me warm when taking photographs in very cold places such as the Jing Peng Pass.  It might just be worth wearing that to see how the staff react in the bank.   

Best wishes to all

Chris

image.png.cb322318098fd9b713996a8d36425cb1.png

Click photo for link; I presume gorgeous-looking hunk not included ;)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Funny 15

20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Do avoid Amazon as a source. (At least in my experience.) They will come from China, be too small and take months to arrive.

I found sourcing masks to be difficult and am amazed at the variety that I see people wear. Makers of kilts have taken to running up masks in your choice of tartan. At this point I have several different masks from different suppliers, unlike Goldilocks' three bowls of porridge, none of them being entirely satisfactory,

Those with a bendable metal nose bridge help (somewhat) with not fogging spectacles. It is difficult to determine ahead whether there will be sufficient nose to chin coverage or whether they will be not too tight nor not too loose. Elastic ear loops might seem like a good idea but these are rarely adjustable. Those that tie behind the head might be more comfortable. 

MrsID makes 'em. The most difficult part to obtain is the thin elastic.

• Like 16
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

When I lived in Andover, Hampshire, In the mid 80s, I was told by an elderly Andovian that many of this Hampshire market town’s problems were due to the influx of what he termed, euphemistically, as “London Overspill“.

iD

And I'd agree with Him, I live just 7 miles away at Ludgershall, in the 60's to early 70s. There was a massive influx of London overspill during that time and it changed much of the Character of the town. Just after I left they started opening the M3, that would have increased the influx even more.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is trying to shine, but there was a lot of rain overnight, so once again I’ll not be fitting the roofing tiles to the arbour. If the sea weed twirlers have got the long range weather predictions right, it have to wait until next week!

Anyway, the plans for the rest of the day are to continue experimenting with the drive system of the turntable, so I expect that will take up a large portion of the day. 

We both seem seem to be coping with the current ‘lockdown’ conditions well. Sheila is quite happy reading her kindle in between the domestic duties and is otherwise quite happy inside. As a hay fever sufferer, she’s quite used to this at this time of year anyway. I’m also quite happy to potter about the garden, workshop, cellar etc, although we both do miss seeing the grandkids. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Couldn't wish everyone goodnight last night as when I went to do so RMweb was down. As for the bread pudding I didn't give proportions because I never measure anything, like my mum who was a very good cook but never owned a set of kitchen scales. ID asked about spices, whatever takes your fancy but might I suggest SWMBO's favourite spices for more brownie points. One last thought on bread pudding, some ER's I do know bake the're own bread. I have had home made bread but never in the form of bread pudding that is something I would love to try.

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

MrsID makes 'em. The most difficult part to obtain is the thin elastic.

Knickers! Knicker elastic should do the job. Quite seriously most of the cheap ones are not up to the job, I've got some reusable ones on order but they haven't arrived yet. I have plenty of material that can be made into face masks but its finding someone who wants it is the problem.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning, The sun has now shown itself after about an hour of rain which is a good job as other half has gone off to the supermarket and hopefully she did not have to queue  long to get in. 50 mph winds are due later on today so a quick inspection of the garden making sure all is secure beckons.

I can cope (just about) with  the reality of cancelled holidays/planned events etc, we are fortunate that one son lives close by and can come for a garden visit, sadly my eldest lives over 230 miles away and its not really feasible and  being a first time Grandad by Zoom/Face Time is not ideal.  Other half finds this really hard to cope with, hopefully they will be able to come and stay soon. Future Daughter in Law the Dr has not seen a covid case for the last six days and will soon be moving back away from A&E/ICU to her Oncology job so thats good news.

Had a look around the forums last night, as they say that you can't fix Stupid...Apparently you can't quarantine it either.

Enjoy your day folks and be safe

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Its times like these, when people are affected the lack of contact with their friends and family, that I am glad that I have been - for most of my life - pretty much a solitary individual. I don’t have any close family to speak of, nor does Mrs ID. We do have a few friends we see occasionally and although they are very good friends, we don’t meet up all that frequently (actually we are very happy with the state of things with the few friends we do have: although we may not meet up for quite a while, when we do meet up it’s as though we are continuing a conversation briefly interrupted a few moments previously).

For many reasons, including spending most of my life travelling for business, I have become very happy and very comfortable being alone with myself and with my thoughts. I can quite happily sit in complete silence, without radio or television, and either read or (look away now, Debs) do some modelling.

In many respects, I consider myself atypical. And one of the things where I differ from a majority of people is in the number of books I actually own and have in my house. I am a voracious (and fast) reader and I never, or very rarely, dispose of my books. So currently, more or less (I haven’t done a count of my books for quite some time), I have north of 4000 books. Of these, perhaps 100 have been started and not finished for one reason or another (including, believe it or not, Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit was an enjoyable read, Lord of the Rings I found turgidly impassable), all the rest I have read over the many years (on a typical long haul flight from Europe to San Francisco I could usually put away 2 to 3 books on the outward journey, sleeping on the way back. And I have done many, many, such flights).

This number, by the way, does not include the 300 or 400 books that Mrs ID brought to the marriage (most of which I have not read as they are in German and as I read mostly for entertainment or information, trying to do so in German is a little bit too much hard work for a relaxing hour or so).

According to one newspaper article the average British household contains 158 books - but a quarter have never been opened; whilst another article stated that 1 in 10 UK households contain no books or reading matter whatsoever (pretty scary statistics!) 

As the nefarious denizens of ER present themselves as quite a well informed and erudite bunch, I wonder what the average book count per ER member household would be.

Now off for a quick lunch followed by either a political history of WWII (book) or adjusting 4mm wagon weights (modelling)

Cheers

iD

• Like 16

20 minutes ago, TheQ said:

....Ben the unhappy Collie will not get a long walk today, as usual he was charging around during it yesterday, and damaged a paw. He's split between two pads, so it's bandaged up. This morning is saw him trying to remove the bandage  and I said no, I got the sheepish look, Oh I've been caught, and he pretended to lick the other paw...

Poor Ben. He won’t be a happy camper for a week or two. But at least, from my perspective, it’s a surgical or trauma problem as opposed to a medical problem. With “surgical” problems (for want of a better term), such as cuts, torn dew claws and the like, diagnosis and treatment is pretty straightforward and I have no problem in managing that (and doing any post vet visit maintenance as well). Where I am not a happy camper is with medical problems, such as diarrhoea or vomiting; mainly because I can think of at least half a dozen potential diagnoses to match the symptoms- none of which are good news. Fortunately, once a medical diagnosis has been made by the vet, I have no problems in post vet visit doggy care.

Anyway, here’s wishing a speedy recovery to Ben the walking wounded Collie

iD

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I tried to count the number of books that I have, I gave up at about 3,000, not even half way through. Having said that most are reference books and are looked at as and when required. I do read fiction, the lighter variety is usually from the pens of Tom Sharpe and since he is no longer with us I found that Carl Hiaasen is an ideal replacement.

• Like 14

Morning, I have a mask made by SWMBO pal, I have yet to wear it as we don't go out other than into the fields for a walk, I cannot actually remember the last time I travelled on a bus, with the grandkids in Perth a couple of years ago I think. Our only planned trip on a train is cancelled, that was due to be behind Tornado on the Aberdonian as part of my birthday present, we intend going next year.

Enjoy your day and keep safe, I shall probably be in TOSH moving things electrickerly on bits of parallel rails, as a cumudgenous old sod, I quite like my own company and don't mind being kept in, though I am missing being allowed to drive to the Glens and hill walking.

• Like 19