The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

... the female gender much prefer to walk around the town in what might politely  be described as excessively short shorts.  

49 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

That is definitely the case at the House of Fun.  Not just today but for several days past.  Since the apparent invitation* to travel to anywhere in England for recreation, in fact.  We have been entertained by a number of cases of bare-cheeked face and of too-much-information in all areas. 

Running errands yesterday - the post office to deliver long overdue Easter Eggs to my granddaughter, postponed originally by avoiding an extra transmission vector, and then again because of warm weather, and the supermarket - I observed what I would call the "Pacific Northwest skirt", consisting of a plaid flannel shirt worn around the backside over short shorts and tied at the waist with the sleeves.

It's almost a uniform here for a particular demographic.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. My copy of Bylines arrived today with another item by ChrisF within its pages, well researched as usual. I'll be setting up my newly restored 'old' computer in the morning, it looks as if it might be a bit damp outside tomorrow so emptying the garden store will have to wait another day, 

1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I observed what I would call the "PNW skirt",

Excuse my ignorance but what does PNW stand for? 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

35 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Running errands yesterday - the post office to deliver long overdue Easter Eggs to my granddaughter, postponed originally by avoiding an extra transmission vector, and then again because of warm weather, and the supermarket - I observed what I would call the "Pacific Northwest skirt", consisting of a plaid flannel shirt worn around the backside over short shorts and tied at the waist with the sleeves.

Its the same uniform here also and such appears to be a uniform all over these days.   A relatives young girls attend a Catholic school in N Ireland and they have adopted a similar outfit.  Years ago they would have been sent home!  It might be all right for St Trinians though:blush:

Brian.

• Like 12
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Another scorcher here today and most of the day has been spent outside! This morning saw me get a first coat of paint on the un-painted side of the decorative parts for the arbour and also a second coat on the trellis panels. After dinner I managed to get a second coat of paint on. This didn’t take long, so once that was completed, I did a bit of dead heading of the roses and a bit of general gardening. I then made a start on cutting a drilling the new slats for the second bench. Tomorrow, if we don’t get the predicted rain, I’ll put all the bits together and add the roofing tiles. 

Just before dinner the latest edition of the MERG magazine dropped onto the door mat, so once I’d packed up for the day, I sat and read this as I drank a muggertea.

After tea, I watered the potted plants, both front and back, as they all sit in the sunshine so definitely need the water.  

Goodnight all 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mick B...what have you started? With all your best intentions some of the posts on there as as bad as on the exhibition cancellations thread.

Baz

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

...Worst non-compliers with recommended apparel seemed to be middle aged men carrying rather too much weight - presumably they drink half a dozen pints of sanitiser before bed every night and being - by the look of them - horny handed sons of toil regard gloves as something intended only for wimps and Lady Bracknell (if they've actually heard of her)....

Presumably, Darwin and Nature will eventually take their toll and thin the herds of these bovine like individuals.

To be incredibly misanthropic here, it seems that COVID-19 is doing a lot of us a big favour by helping reduce the numbers of those individuals who, for want of a better term, are considered to be “beyond the pale“ here on ER.

My sympathies are reserved for the innocent elderly and innocent vulnerable who get caught up in the consequences of these idiots’ behaviours.

14 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

That was the third outfit of the day, the wedding dress, then a blue corduroy skirt and jacket, then into more comfortable attire once we had booked in at the hotel...

Wedding dress and also a skirt? Oh Jamie,  You do continually surprise us! :jester::devil:

On the assumption that I did indeed misread your post, I must therefore conclude you are referring to your wife’s frequent change of apparel on your wedding day. I don’t know what it is about weddings that brings out that sort of thing in women. Mrs ID also went through a few changes of clothes on our wedding day. I, on the other hand, was most fortunate In being able to wear a dinner jacket for the entire day. And as my black tie outfit was made for me by my tailor, as opposed to being rented, it was most comfortable as well.

11 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I hope for Big Jims son  that it all works out and he doesn't get the chop:D

We really, really need a groan button...

11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

An op-ed headline caught my eye today.

1918 + 1929 + 1968 = 2020

I skimmed the article. While it is US-centric, I thought the headline said it all.

Not the best advert for maths skills, I would hazard.

9 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

A short holiday was all we could afford and as my wife had never been there, we spent the time walking around the main tourist sites such as the Tower of London, Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace - thank goodness we didn't take the rain with us - remember this was early February.  We did travel by train and so got to see both Grantham station and Kings Cross !

I did surmise that at such a young age, and at the beginning of your career, funds would be somewhat restricted. Although having said that, I wonder how expensive London was when you got married, Mike. Nowadays, staying in London is very expensive as it is one of the most expensive cities in the world to visit.  I think that it’s even overtaken Tokyo as to being THE expensive City destination.

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...I observed what I would call the "Pacific Northwest skirt", consisting of a plaid flannel shirt worn around the backside over short shorts and tied at the waist with the sleeves.

What demographic? Do tell!

Are we talking “trailer trash” here? or leftover hippies? or alternative post grunge lifestyles?
For a country that prides itself on its’ individualism, once the population has sorted itself out into its various subgroups, it is remarkable how uniform people actually are within each subgroup,. Do you remember the famous “Valley girls“ of the early 80s? Named Mitzi or Debbie or Babs or Beverly or somesuch name, they looked identical and sounded “like, totally” identical.:biggrin_mini: And for a young man in the early 80s, they promised so much but delivered so little :devil:

Well, I’d better stop now. Otherwise it is quite possible that I will get trapped within the twists and turns of “memory lane“ for a few hours and I actually do have a few things to do (including going to the dentist).

enjoy “hump day“

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 16
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I did surmise that at such a young age, and at the beginning of your career, funds would be somewhat restricted. Although having said that, I wonder how expensive London was when you got married, Mike. Nowadays, staying in London is very expensive, as it is one of the most expensive cities in the world to visit.  I think that it’s even overtaken Tokyo as to being an expensive 

That was true a few years ago. Now possible to stay in London at very reasonable prices for much of the year due to Travelodge and similar establishments.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Mick B...what have you started? With all your best intentions some of the posts on there as as bad as on the exhibition cancellations thread.

Baz

Well I suppose someone had to start a thread that you are told that can only talk rubbish:dirol_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

What demographic? Do tell!

Nothing particularly salacious. Let's go with females 16 - 25. 

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Do you remember the famous “Valley girls“ of the early 80s? Named Mitzi or Debbie or Babs or Beverly or somesuch name, they looked identical and sounded “like, totally” identical.

"Ugh, gag me with a spoon! That's grody to the max!" (Valspeak, San Fernando Valley, CA, ca 1980s)

Given that "Valley Girl" is more trope than reality, they are cast as identical. As names, "Debbie and Babs" are more "preppy" than Valley Girl, and in fact, Babs  (and Mandy) are names of sorority sisters from "Animal House", which incidentally was filmed at the University of Oregon. "Preppy" was the US East Coast version of people who would become "Yuppies".  cf. "Sloane Rangers".

"Stacy" is a Valley Girl name, and was used in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and will be used in the upcoming 2020 film "Valley Girl". It was also used in the song "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne, which has at least one or two things in common with "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", not coincidentally.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I seem to have 'missed' the the RMweb down time this morning all I noticed is only one page of ER's instead of two or more. The rain predicted for today will apparently not now happen until the early morning hours so I've got no excuse for not finishing emptying the garden storage box. No news yet as to when the new shed will arrive, I gather that they are made to order so it might be a couple of weeks yet. Tea to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 17