The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, Barry O said:

...Of course soccer is also big money and the premiership players will be feeling the pinch...

Gosh! Is it? Who would’ve known? Of course, we mustn’t stand in the way between a Premier League football player and his second or third Bentley, must we? Nor must we forget all those poor broadcasting stations failing to make millions off the associated advertising. The poor dears...
Please excuse me for a moment, I’m all broken up emotionally!

4 hours ago, AndyB said:

Never approach a lit firework. ;)

If Mrs AndyB is anything like Mrs ID, far from approaching the splattering incendiary device, the best and most prudent tactic is to move to a safe distance, preferably in the next Canton/County.

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

...First a little gem of a film which iD might enjoy (if he can find it) and which Mrs iD might regard as sacrilege (does that man have the gonads to play such a video in her presence we ask?).   So here you go Flavio.....

I have no fear that Mrs ID role will react poorly to the subject matter of the film. The concern that I do have is over her potential reaction to yet another Hugh Grant movie.

Like any good Hollywood casting agent, Mrs ID has her “A List“, “B List“ and “C List“ celebrities.  From previous comments she has made about Mr Grant’s acting abilities (or lack thereof), I suspect he would find himself firmly on her “Z List”.  Nonetheless, I will heed your suggestion and ask if she would like me to purchase the DVD for watching when she gets snowed-in when staying at the Holiday Hovel (and which is most definitely surrounded by proper “Mountains“).

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Having visited the country on more than one occasion, I can assure readers that in the Netherlands, a mountain is anything above sea level!

One could be very unkind and say that whenever a generously proportioned German lies down on a Dutch beach to sunbathe, the Netherlands gain a new mountain range. Of course, that would be a totally politically incorrect statement to make and far be it for me to cast such aspersions...:devil::jester:

1 hour ago, 81C said:

... I've inherited 2 dogs now Alfie a Poodle and Oscar a Sh!tsu..

I don’t know about you, but from those photographs that you have posted, Oscar comes across as a nice little dog, but Alfie’s expression marks him out as the “hard man“ of the duo. Probably, and I’m purely speculating here, he is a wonderful little dog whilst the treats are coming, but cross him and you’re looking at chewed up hamstrings at the very least! :jester: 

But it’s good they’re much loved. All dogs deserve that.

On a more serious note, and something I think is starting to get to the point where it’s more than just annoying, is this stupid censoring software put in place on RMWeb which censors totally innocent terminology and words – such as the name of Oscar’s breed. Having met AndyY on a number of occasions, I found him to have a very robust approach to language, so this “uptight schoolteacher“ censoring of terminology seems somewhat out of place. Could it be that sponsors and advertisers can’t deal with/don’t want to be associated with any sort of wordage that could, potentially, cause offence to someone, somewhere at some future, unforeseeable, time? Or am I being Captain Cynical again???

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 12
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Hopefully I am not telling you something you already know but there are a couple of things you could try. 
Can you force a shut down? Modern computers don’t have a reset button but hold the power button down for 15 to 20 seconds. 
As you mention it is a laptop you could then remove the battery. 
Wait a while. 
Insert the battery 

Plug in , turn on. 
If it still hangs you may need the shop appointment still. 

Its a new battery in this computer but thats not the problem, its the cooling fan. Its always been noisy since I've had the computer and the warning was about the cooling fan liable to fail. I'm not sure if my old laptop has a fan. I am only using this computer in short bursts and switching it off if it starts getting warm. I will try to sort out my old computer first before messing with this one.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

31 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I noticed the "Karen" expression for the first time last week,  on an American sailing site,  in their equivalent of "Wheeltappers"

A complete thread about them,  women who think they are entitled to their " rights" without the grace or knowledge to know what they are entitled to and definitely no idea of responsibility...

...I always ask for a milky coffee,  the confusion in some youngsters faces in the chain coffee shops when you do that, when the list on the wall uses all the fancy American / Italian  terms  is fun to watch...

Oh, DO post the link to that thread, I’d love to eavesdrop on that discussion...

As for the “fancy American/Italian terms”, as a bona-fide, 100% authentic, Italian, I can safely say that most of those terms are made-up marketing b0ll0cks. Probably someone in the marketing department at S**rb***ks got hold of an English Italian dictionary and started throwing out words at random. As far as I am concerned coffees in Italy can be described by just the following:

• Espresso
  • Cafe Macchiato
  • Cuppaccino
  • Ristretto
  • Cafe Corretto (Espresso with a good slug of grappa)

and sometimes you find (especially in areas heavily frequented by tourists)

• Cafe Americano (A heavily diluted, either by milk or hot water, espresso, served in a bigger cup).

Cheers!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Its a new battery in this computer but thats not the problem, its the cooling fan. Its always been noisy since I've had the computer and the warning was about the cooling fan liable to fail. I'm not sure if my old laptop has a fan. I am only using this computer in short bursts and switching it off if it starts getting warm. I will try to sort out my old computer first before messing with this one.

Sorry. I misunderstood, I thought you said it was hanging and it wouldn’t shut down. I was trying to say how to shut down a hung computer without waiting for the battery to go flat. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Oh, DO post the link to that thread, I’d love to eavesdrop on that discussion...

As for the “fancy American/Italian terms”, as a bona-fide, 100% authentic, Italian, I can safely say that most of those terms are made-up marketing b0ll0cks. Probably someone in the marketing department at S**rb***ks got hold of an English Italian dictionary and started throwing out words at random. As far as I am concerned coffees in Italy can be described by just the following:

• Espresso
  • Cafe Macchiato
  • Cuppaccino
  • Ristretto

• Cafe Americano (A heavily diluted, either by milk or hot water, espresso, served in a bigger cup).

Cheers!

Well,  That's why I added American,  other than the terms mentioned above,  I thought the rest were generally an invention of St****cks.  I once tried and failed to learn Italian, as had I not gone to Saudi permanently, I would have been going to Gioia del Colle once or twice a year to work on equipment. 

As the the links to that thread,  first a warning,  it's a totally uncensored site,  there is a lot of unnecessary swearing,   nudity,  and don't even think of getting between the politics of the supporters of the orange one and the opposition.  There is also a Brexit thread,  which is very similar, mostly occupied by one particular anti British, Irishman who lives somewhere in the Far East.. 

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/215138-the-rise-of-the-karen/&tab=comments#comment-7042684

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:
  • Espresso
  • Cafe Macchiato
  • Cuppaccino
  • Ristretto

Our coffee machine does espresso, lungo, macchiato and cappuccino. The last two require the milk container to be added. It is Italian.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Pleased to say all posts read and rated, and the usual greetings are on offer to all ERs.

Not a lot happening here today, but it appears that outside of 45156 towers, the schools and nurseries round here will NOT be returning on Monday, as Lancashire Council have decreed that it may be too soon. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-52825752

That's all from me for today.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all.

We have lovely beach weather here so I decided to put toot on the flute and tiddly headboards aside and get out in the garden.

That was all well and good until I stopped weeding.  Phew! Talk about hot!  So I retreated to the kitchen for a mugadecafcoffee & ERs.

Now, I have a question.  There is, surrounded by smaller weeds, some of nextdoor's crop of self seeding jungle forming plants!

Can anyone identify it for me, please?  I did search it but failed to find out!  I do not ever recall it growing in the vegetable garden when I was growing up.  I did think maybe something like beetroot.

IMG_1689a.jpeg.70cd3a5210cb74f48797c0fcf5838809.jpeg

Fitt  :training: and  :danced: Elfie burning up...

Take care and play safe

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Simon G said:

Snaefell is definitely a mountain in my book, as I seem to recall a very fine 360 degree view when we went up it (on the mountain railway, I might add!). 

You were lucky. The view was the same for me whichever way I looked - fog. And that was in July.

Weather is changeable on any mountain but plonked in the middle of the Irish Sea, Snaefell is worse than most. Weather was lovely down in Laxey.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I thought I'd give the computer shop a call though I expected a recorded message at best and someone answered! After a chat I decided to take my old computer in to see if it can be sorted.

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Sorry. I misunderstood, I thought you said it was hanging and it wouldn’t shut down. I was trying to say how to shut down a hung computer without waiting for the battery to go flat. 

The computer chap said that the problem with the other computer was probably that it just needs a clean inside so when the other one is back I'll take it in. In the meantime I will have to use it sparingly giving it a break every hour or so.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Our coffee machine does espresso, lungo, macchiato and cappuccino. The last two require the milk container to be added. It is Italian.

Yep, I forgot the lungo (the diametric opposite of ristretto) and I’ve just noticed my iPad autocorrect has bu99ered up the spelling of cappuccino grrr!

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I thought I'd give the computer shop a call though I expected a recorded message at best and someone answered! After a chat I decided to take my old computer in to see if it can be sorted.

The computer chap said that the problem with the other computer was probably that it just needs a clean inside so when the other one is back I'll take it in. In the meantime I will have to use it sparingly giving it a break every hour or so.

Some years ago,  I had a PC which suddenly started failing,  it was a build of fluff on the processor fan...

Blame those in the Avatar... 

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Cuppacccino?

The robes of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin (Ordo Fratrum Minorum Capuccinorum) will be turning blue! ;)

I know :( D*mn Apple iPad autocorrect!
But well spotted, sir!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Some years ago,  I had a PC which suddenly started failing,  it was a build of fluff on the processor fan...

Blame those in the Avatar... 

I'll have to get a haircut, and trim the beard.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Yep, I forgot the lungo (the diametric opposite of ristretto) and I’ve just noticed my iPad autocorrect has bu99ered up the spelling of cappuccino grrr!

I suppose we could make an Americano by adding water from the hot water dispenser on the machine too. That isn’t mentioned in the manual though. We use the coffee beans Aditi likes, I am not really fussy, I rarely drink coffee now. The “Italian” blend Aditi uses in her cafetière is produced in Yorkshire but the beans for the coffee machine are an Italian roasted brand. We buy when on special offer if possible. 
Tony

• Like 16