The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AndyB said:

"Are you planning on joining those two bits up and making me limbo under that thing?"

Have you explained to her the concept of a lifting section?

Dave

• Like 12
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I might not be posting so much here as I had a message this morning when I opened up that the cooling fan on this computer is not working properly and it will shut down if it overheats so don't worry if I don't post. It seems to be OK at the moment nothing getting warm and the fan only seems to operate when the battery is on charge.

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I don't understand why cricket should be delayed so long. There is less contact than in football and the crowds for most four-day championship games can easily be socially-distanced.

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Soccer is deemed necessary to make "the people" believe everything is back to normal, cricket isn't.  

Of course soccer is also big money and the premiership players will be feeling the pinch. The players are still testing positive but the show must go on......

Baz

Apparently international cricket (in the UK) is to start on July 8th. But only at certain grounds where there is hotel accommodation attached. This means that both teams can stay isolated at the ground where there is a lower risk. This could be the reason for the delay in county cricket. Limiting the physical contact with the outside world. Whereas footballers play their matches and usually go home afterwards cricket matches are often played over a number of days and going to and from hotels would increase the chances of infection.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 12

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Mrs iD,  who is Swiss, is very demanding in her definitions of what constitutes a true mountain. Recently we watched that most enjoyable film with Robert Redford and Nick Nolte, “A Walk in the Woods“, based on the Bill Bryson book. In the film, when the characters referred to the “ mountains” that they encountered on the Appalachian Trail, Mrs ID snorted in derision. “They are NOT mountains“ opined Mrs iD with emphasis “mountains do NOT have trees on the top of them“. Despite this topographical quibble, Mrs iD (and yours truly) enjoyed the film.

I am 100% in agreement with Mrs iD on this.  Part of the attraction in climbing a mountain is to get a view from the top, so if it is covered with trees, the view is usually non existent.  The mountains in the Lakes may be tiny by Swiss standards, but they don’t have trees on top!

Another sunny not day in prospect here, so I am about to venture into the garden and see what today’s tasks are.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I might not be posting so much here as I had a message this morning when I opened up that the cooling fan on this computer is not working properly and it will shut down if it overheats so don't worry if I don't post. It seems to be OK at the moment nothing getting warm and the fan only seems to operate when the battery is on charge.

Apparently international cricket (in the UK) is to start on July 8th. But only at certain grounds where there is hotel accommodation attached. This means that both teams can stay isolated at the ground where there is a lower risk. This could be the reason for the delay in county cricket. Limiting the physical contact with the outside world. Whereas footballers play their matches and usually go home afterwards cricket matches are often played over a number of days and going to and from hotels would increase the chances of infection.

Some of the counties have accommodation on site to reduce costs.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The ECB are giving an alternative view. The I CC run test cricket and they are on another planet

Baz

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Late on parade today, had a lie-in and got straight onto painting the front door frame first thing. That's now done so I'm about to enjoy muggertea No2 before starting on the arbour. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 17

Mountains - I have been to the Rockies and the Cascades, and I was going to say I had never been to any mountains in Europe (we did go down the Rhone Valley on a sleeper train) but then I remembered I had up and around Mt Etna. Definitely no trees at the top of that one!

I have also been through the Taurus mountains in Turkey (the Asian bit of Turkey).

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

First a little gem of a film which iD might enjoy (if he can find it) and which Mrs iD might regard as sacrilege (does that man have the gonads to play such a video in her presence we ask?).   So here you go Flavio

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112966/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/englishman-Went-Hill-Came-Mountain/dp/B0006VYEBY

Once again we have a sunny day with few clouds in sight although the contrail quotient appears to have increased of late.  We have noticed an increase in birds in the garden when it comes to the physically smaller species but Blackbird, Starling, Pigeon, and Dove numbers are fairly constant.  Red Kites do seem a bit more prolific at present and  but that might be because they know where they can find a meal - we had considerable amusement the day before yesterday with Poppy sitting on the ground watching the Kits swoop in for bits of chicken remains within a few feet of her, the pigeons don't take any notice of her either .  Whether it is the lack of aircraft noise or simply the lack of aircraft but it does seem that the natural world of our garden is more atrractive to birds without that constant procession of over-grown, over-stuffed, cigar tubes making a near constant racket overhead.

I think Mick will soon get used to a his 6-speed gearbox, definitely didn't take me long on my Peugeot and no problem remembering the gate even tho' I often drive the Good Doctor's Corsa with its 5 speed box.  And the 6 speed is definitely a bit handier than a Triumph 2500 I regularly drove many years ago which had a 7 speed box thanks to overdrive on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th;  it was rather fun to go through all the gears because they were brilliantly spaced in a progression of ratios and the overdrive was easy to flick in and out.

The garden still needs attention but it all depends if the weather will allow me a chance to get to it without wilting.    Have a good day one and all and stay safe even if far too many other folk are no longer doing so.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think Mick will soon get used to a his 6-speed gearbox, definitely didn't take me long on my Peugeot and no problem remembering the gate even tho' I often drive the Good Doctor's Corsa with its 5 speed box.

Thank you for the astute observation.

Out to you.

Hello Mick,

Remember it's a double H gate.

You can now think of me every time you change gear

HH:laugh_mini:

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Computer hasn't shut down (yet) but battery is getting low. On the subject of gearboxes. My car like most others today has a 5 speed gearbox. I did have occasion a few years ago to drive a Transit minibus with a 6 speed box. The only problem I encountered was that the Transits 6th gear was in the same place as reverse on my car and on a couple of occasions I selected that thinking it was reverse, no damage done, only a stalled engine.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Having visited the country on more than one occasion, I can assure readers that in the Netherlands, a mountain is anything above sea level!

Dutch scenery is quite amazing though.

The other Dutch people said surely the fact that the Austrian Alps were full of Dutch cars, motor homes and caravans showed that they too liked mountains but the man insisted that English people were delusional about them. 

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Computer hasn't shut down (yet) but battery is getting

Hopefully I am not telling you something you already know but there are a couple of things you could try. 
Can you force a shut down? Modern computers don’t have a reset button but hold the power button down for 15 to 20 seconds. 
As you mention it is a laptop you could then remove the battery. 
Wait a while. 
Insert the battery 

Plug in , turn on. 
If it still hangs you may need the shop appointment still. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Dutch scenery is quite amazing though.

The other Dutch people said surely the fact that the Austrian Alps were full of Dutch cars, motor homes and caravans showed that they too liked mountains but the man insisted that English people were delusional about them. 

Had he said that to me, I would have been tempted to invite him on a gentle walk up Great Gable in December.  I suspect that might alter his opinions.  I recall a descent off Great Gable in the snow many years ago.  It was exhilarating and not for the faint hearted - basically running down a snow covered scree slope.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, 81C said:

had an appointment for a bladder & kidney scan this morning that out of the way demolition of the remaining tiles will commence

I have always used a bolster chisel or pry bar to remove tiles ...

• Funny 14