The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit of kerfuffle over a certain special advisor breaking lock-down rules in this mornings news. A fellow member of SEERS has pointed out that in Westminster special advisors are known as SPADS.

• Like 6
  • Funny 11

Front garden tidied up; hedge given a short back and sides and weeds strimmed. e Now need to lay down after so much exertion!

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Longevity of myself and my fellow operators being preferable to providing momentary viewer satisfaction.

Given my own personal circumstances, I hold an opposing view!

13 minutes ago, Shedman5 said:

Why?  

For is it not written “those who can, do; those who can’t, teach and those that can do neither go into HR”

I believe this to be a corruption of Sir George Bernard Shaw's "Those than can, do. Those that can't, teach. Those that can't teach, teach teachers"

• Like 5
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Simon G said:

Just heard on Radio Cumbria:

A man calls the local dogs home and says that he may have a dog for them to take.  It is a small one, with one fault, that it barks a lot.  The person at the dogs home says reluctantly that they can take it, if the man can get the dog to the home.  The man replies that it may be a while as his neighbour hasn’t put it out for the day yet.

My friend has a Norfolk or Norwich terrier, she barks/yaps at every visitor. Over the past few months he has been taking care of a chihuahua who naturally follows the 'boss'. However he stops barking as soon as you make a fuss of him. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

When at Leicester University I was lucky enough to attend some concerts with David Munrow. Found this by him of the above

John, thanks for highlighting this.  I had found a few versions of the tunes on u-tube but this knocks spots off most of them!  I shall have to go through the book to find out which ones he plays as I have not, so far, found a list of them.  I will certainly have to get a download of them - plenty of sources around.

Polly

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

My friend has a Norfolk or Norwich terrier, she barks/yaps at every visitor. Over the past few months he has been taking care of a chihuahua who naturally follows the 'boss'. However he stops barking as soon as you make a fuss of him. 

NorFolk terriers ears Flop down, NorWich terriers ears Wave about. ( stand up) 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

11 minutes ago, southern42 said:

John, thanks for highlighting this.  I had found a few versions of the tunes on u-tube but this knocks spots off most of them!  I shall have to go through the book to find out which ones he plays as I have not, so far, found a list of them.  I will certainly have to get a download of them - plenty of sources around.

Polly

99p download

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tunes-Bird-Fancyers-Delight/dp/B01N8TSQZ1/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=the+bird+fancyer&qid=1590235270&sr=8-9

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, southern42 said:

I will be watching the Welsh News with interest tonight to see how many cross the border "illegally".  There has already been an increase in those heading for the North Wales Coast this week, according to a member of the Coastguard yesterday.  Fortunately, we are off the beaten (tourist) track so I doubt it will affect us.  It seems people are claiming "confusion" as their excuse!  What is confusing about "Don't come to Wales/Scotland"?

Stupidity is probably the main reason. The other is that some of the "I have rights" brigade think they are above the law and follow certain government people (the world over) who think they can get away with anything.

• Like 4
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

A'noon all again,

I don't know who's upstairs twiddling the algorithm knobs on the t'internet, but the side bar pop up ads appearing up on various forums I'm on are a funny old mixture at the moment, this week I have mostly been bombarded with ads for vintage guitars, stiletto heeled kinky boots, gothic jewellery, baking products, brightly coloured hair dye, cat food and power tools.

Something is afoot I tells yer....!

I think a cat loving rock chic may have been using your computer!

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

UK-wide regulations are non-specific when it comes to essential cross-border journeys to manage farm livestock.  I would regard such a journey as not essential but critical and would politely debate the point with any police person who attempted to inhibit my travels.  But I am not he of the unkempt hair and I neither make nor interpret the "advice".   Had the person been under 16 there is nothing to prevent travel to the home of a parent - either parent in the case of those not living together.  That is explicit within the guidelines.  

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, southern42 said:

... I had found a few versions of the tunes on u-tube but this knocks spots off most of them!  I shall have to go through the book to find out which ones he plays as I have not, so far, found a list of them.  I will certainly have to get a download of them - plenty of sources around...

David Munrow, RIP. Such a loss, and it feels like yesterday. Everything he recorded is worth hearing. If you are in any way concerned for best possible sound, obtain CD's of what you like best. Much as with the human voice, unless the transfer to whatever downloaded or streamed format you use is done very well, obvious 'artefacts' creep in.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I'm probably tempting fate by saying it, but there's a semblance of order beginning to appear in half the living room.

I'm not going to mention the other half

It gives you space to sort out the items in  the untidy half. Though to be honest that method is probably why my garage tidying takes years!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

My neighbour’s daughter and grandchildren (18 and 16) live in Wales. On the day this years exams were cancelled the 16 year old grandson was nearly at Euston on his way to Essex. His broadband at home was inadequate for him to study at the same time as his sister.  So he has been here since. If he wants to go home to help (sheep, horses chickens etc) do the Welsh regulations allow transport of a child back to the parental home? If stopped I suppose he could speak in Welsh to police. 

I think it is more the 'holiday-makers' that are creating the headlines here rather than the odd person wanting to 'come home' although I suspect even that is frowned upon at the moment when new cases and deaths of C-19 are still on the increase, here.

I can understand families that have got separated and want to go home or meet up again.  We miss our families, near and far.  Fortunately, we had a get together at the end of last year, so we have fairly recent memories to fall back on, and we mainly keep in touch with each other via WhatsApp and FaceTime like lots of others.  However, I would not want to put myself at risk, or anyone else, by going visiting, or worse, galavanting round the countryside/from one end of the country to another just to have some fun because it is a bank holiday. 

I shall bide my time...and keep m*d*ll*ng waiting for the glue to dry...

_________

Polly

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It gives you space to sort out the items in  the untidy half. Though to be honest that method is probably why my garage tidying takes years!

"semblance of order" means neither that the space available has increased.

It is solely the opposite of "total disorder".

I'm reminded of my undergrad physical chemistry days. Closest packing in crystal matrices is making to the situation here

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/General_Chemistry/Book%3A_Chem1_(Lower)/07%3A_Solids_and_Liquids/7.08%3A_Cubic_Lattices_and_Close_Packing

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

"semblance of order" means neither that the space available has increased.

It is solely the opposite of "total disorder".

Is it a second law of thermodynamics model in progress?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Although I'm not from Yorkshire, the language is catching/  "OW MUCH!!!???"

I was just searching for lamb recipes as there's some in the freezer, bought reduced from Sainsbury's. I came across this. Think I'll pass and use my usual supplier.

WTF!!!!???? It's more than eighty quid a kilo!!!

Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 10.35.57.png

Is that the price for a whole sheep?? otherwise they are having a giraffe!

Baz

• Agree 6
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1