The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit cool this morning with a bit of high cloud making it a bit hazy. When I woke up this morning I wasn't even sure of what day it was, for a minute I thought it was Friday then I was able to work out it was Wednesday.

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

They still have "caulkers" in shipyards. Never checked out what they do but they will have a devil of a job caulking the metal hulls and decks on modern warships...

Baz

Wooden ships are still being built today so theres still plenty of work for caulkers. Even steel vessels can spring a leak and these have to be quickly repaired or 'caulked'. This also applies to leaking pipes so a caulker might be required on larger naval vessels. At one time when a ship was launched shipyard workers were on board ready to plug any leaks that would occur once the vessel was afloat. Most of those were apprentices as highlighted when the SS Daphne capsized on launch in 1883 with a tragic loss of life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Daphne_(1883) 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Exactly that happenned at our basic training school at Newby Wiske in North Yorks. We had a dining in night before our passing out parade. There were two memorable moments. The first when a rather shy policewoman presented a cheque to the commandant. She had conquered her shyness and wore a very revealing dress. The commandant leaned over the table to accept the cheque and almost fell down her dress. His wife was not amused.  The other was afterwards, the inspecting officer was taking the night air outside the front door, still in uniform, when a student had to do what Dave did, out of the dorm window, all over the Deputy Chief Constable. Brilliant.

Jamie

How did that students police career go after that little incident?

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

.... - why is RMweb plagued with total idiots who can't be bothered to read explanations other people have already posted and then go on to post total nonsense presenting it  as 'helpful information'?...

The most plausible (and more charitable) reason would be that what you have described is due to a hitherto unreported neurological deficit secondary to an otherwise asymptomatic COVID-19 infection. One hopes that these posters are self-isolating.

The equally plausible (but less charitable) reason is that such people are innately inconsiderate, stupid, c**kwombles, whose grasp of debate, reading what has been posted and their ability to understand writings with “big pictures and small words” is somewhat less than the average stunned slug.

So there you have it, boys and girls, the eternal diagnostic dilemma: Disease or Defective DNA?
Now off to make my version of a veal, ham and egg pie

Cheers

F

• Like 5
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Wooden ships are still being built today so theres still plenty of work for caulkers. Even steel vessels can spring a leak and these have to be quickly repaired or 'caulked'. This also applies to leaking pipes so a caulker might be required on larger naval vessels. At one time when a ship was launched shipyard workers were on board ready to plug any leaks that would occur once the vessel was afloat. Most of those were apprentices as highlighted when the SS Daphne capsized on launch in 1883 with a tragic loss of life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Daphne_(1883) 

Submarines hulls (or the ones I was involved in) are made of a variety of metals...In the trial dive they do have people on board to check for leaks...mind you before my time they did a test dive and opened the torpedo outer doors.. didn't check that the inners were sealed shut.. ooops! In reality if you dive deep then "caulking" a leak might work but they do other things to sort these out.

They are generally found fitting gaskets to "things" and getting in the way of painters/fitters/pipe stranglers/wire stranglers...

Baz

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

can anyone explain to me why I can't go and visit my son at his home..but can go to the house next door to him for a "viewing"...   distinct lack of a holistic approach .. but SM.. yes they must be on here too!

Ba

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4