The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

17 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Yeah, I wish Andy, I have to get a door knocked in from the Hall to the back of the Garage, then fit it out as a room / ish, sealing up the up and over door from the inside.

Best make it Saturday week.:no::P

So, I'll be going from TOPS / The Old Potting Shed, to POD / Pit of Doom.:o

• Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

As other ERs I wish to send my condolences to Andrew and hope the pain soon eases. 

At the moment we’re looking after BILs nine month old dog and he rang up to see if we would look after him for a bit longer. How long SWHMBO asked and was told we can have him if we want. We both love Sydney but .........

Regarding the pizza in Switzerland  the bill came to about CHF 60 which equates to approximately £50. In fairness the restaurant was in a tourist region and did have views of the Eiger so probably not too bad value when compared to iD’s in  NWSchweiz. Also GF food is usually more expensive that the non GF  equivalent.

My favourite beers were Bud but with Fish and chips it had to be Newcastle Brown, neither of which come with a GF alternative. Actually even the fish and chips are a problem now.

Night,

Robert

Bil’s dog, any takers?

BCDEB259-63F2-4545-B9B8-AD60D1DDF9FE.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On governance.

During the quarantine, the local Public television station has changed up their daytime programming away from semi-educational entertainment for pre-schoolers to what are normally evening documentaries.

I'm sure many of you are at least aware of the prolific US documentarian Ken Burns, famous, in particular for his "The Civil War" documentary (which clocks in at 11 hours and 30 minutes in nine episodes). The local PBS channel recently presented, each Monday, his seven part, 14 hour documentary "The Roosevelts: An Intimate History" which focuses on TR and spouses / fifth cousins once removed, Franklin and Eleanor.

I had seen this before (and read a fairly comprehensive biography of FDR) but seeing this again, during the pandemic, made me think of the nature of leadership in a democracy. What Roosevelt (and Churchill) achieved was nothing short of astonishing. Both of them were deeply flawed individuals in many respects but they (despite their many detractors, and often the force of public opinion) rose above it all.

FDR in particular had a phenomenal political skill to lead an unwilling electorate to his point of view. His governance in 1940 and 1941, (1940 was the election campaign where he broke Washington's precedent of not seeking a third term in office) was truly remarkable.

While it takes a great crisis to truly highlight a great ability to govern, a great crisis puts in sharp focus those who are pretenders to the job.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:
3 hours ago, brianusa said:

There was a time in a land far, far away ...

L. P. Hartley (1953)

Or "Fly Fishing" by J. R. Hartley.  The fictitious book sought by an elderly gent by the name of J. R. Hartley in a still-remembered Yellow Pages advert from 1983.  Such was the reach and popularity of the ad that Michael Russell went on to write that very book under that nom-de-plume

And I thought it was from "Star Wars"!:unsure:

Brian.

• Like 10
  • Funny 2