The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Waste of good indifferent fizzy beer dropping it. :jester:

You probably don't have one but we put it in big metal boxes called  "refrigerators". It tastes a lot better really served cold :)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 18

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

And how! A lady friend of mine shared a flat with medics during her student days. I found their "humour" very difficult to live with.

It wasnt just the medical students either.  My grandfather was a professor at a London teaching hospital, and all his students were terrified of his stern nature.  What none of them knew was that even in his dotage, he was a serial practical joker, and no-one in the hospital ever cottoned on that he was the perpetrator of the jokes, as no-one believed him capable of them!  All his family knew that he had this wicked sense of humour, but no-one else did.

It has been pretty cold and windy today.  When I got up, it was trying to rain, but sadly for the garden, that didnt come to anything.  Some weeding has been done, with a large amount of nettles and stickibud removed and placed in the compost bin.  Apart from a 90 minutes Facetime chat with both sons, there has been nothing of note to report today.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a rather damp Charente Maritime.   Shed time has been achieved with some success and the cluckbird was sacrificed and tasted good.   After all the talk of terrible images earlier today I thought I would report some success in another direction.   Most days I have an ear worm usually of some annoying piece of music.   Today for some obscure reason it was this.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kiki+dee+amoureuse+song+live
One of my favourite songs and I'd not seen this live version before I looked up a link to it.   The girl doesn't do bad for a shop girl from Boots in Bradford.

Jamie

PS, she's as easy on the eye as she is on the ear.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18

14 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Talking of today, 10th May seems to be coincidentally quite a significant date in my life:

Just occurred to me that in the US format, two digit month day and year, are multiples:

5 10 20

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I forgot to mention earlier that it was quite blustery, if I’d left the workshop door open today, there was every chance that some damage would have occurred. There’s been no rain as such, although we have had a couple of very light showers, so light in fact, that the ground didn’t even get wet! Ironically, as we were having tea tonight, the sun finally made an appearance!

The time spent in the workshop today has been quite productive. I completed the remaining 4 operating arms, I’ve also started making the bases. I marked 3 out yesterday and these have been cut, filed and shaped and are ready to have the holes marked out then drilled and tapped, leaving just 3 more to do. However, that will be next weekend as during the week I will concentrate on some DIY projects, such as the arbor and peg rail. 

This afternoon I had a phone call from the big orange DIY shed, informing me that the paint I’ve ordered is out of stock, but more is coming in during the week, so the order will be delayed until Thursday or Friday. Which isn’t really a problem, because it will give me a bit more time to finish cladding the arbor and to sand off any loose paint so that it’s ready for some fresh paint.

Goodnight all 

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

There have been smaller-scale protests here.  Fines were issued and one person arrested in London over the weekend.  A mix of civil libertarians, "covid unbelievers" and conspiracy theorists.  

So - much like the US, but without the AKs?

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

3 hours ago, brianusa said:

This in turn bring threats , some serious, from the violators who seem to have a death wish on themselves and those who disagree with their right to liberty; which means do as they darn well please. 

That, to me, is the problem. If letting them associate freely put only themselves at risk, then I would have no great problem. People are already free to indulge in all sorts of activities that are harmful (potentially or actually) to themselves. What they are asking for puts many others unwillingly at risk as well. 

Edited by pH
  • Like 2
  • Agree 15

56 minutes ago, pH said:

So - much like the US, but without the AKs?

Not that many AK-47s in public in the US. Of course they are around, but most red-blooded, second amendment enthusiasts wouldn't display them publicly given they were symbolic of the communist countries that used them ubiquitously. Mostly in the US you will see AR-15s (or their many lookalikes).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not that many AK-47s in public in the US. Of course they are around, but most red-blooded, second amendment enthusiasts wouldn't display them publicly given they were symbolic of the communist countries that used them ubiquitously.

But US soldiers weren't always so reluctant:

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/u-s-commandos-had-a-love-affair-with-captured-ak-47s-87ab1e4ae2c1

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Today's excitement was a flyover by the Snowbirds, the PR wing of the RCAF. They're doing a tour in support of frontline/hospital workers and flew over Guelph. It was supposed to be yesterday, but postponed due to weather. A very brief pass through the skies.

The biggest nearby city apparently set a record low last night.

I dig out an old kit today -- Kirk LNER suburban twin. Checking the parts, one roof has a corner broken off and both floors are missing. If I read the stickers right, the dealer has changed hands twice; I may have bought it second hand. Well, on to the semi-corridor composite.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

Today's excitement was a flyover by the Snowbirds, the PR wing of the RCAF.

After the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds overflew cities like New York and Washington, we had the F15s from the local Oregon Air National Guard wing stationed at PDX a few days ago. I heard them but didn't see them.

They are easy to see on takeoff from the terminals.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10