The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land.

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Possibly Trials based at RAE Aberporth?  It's been a missile/rocket firing range since 1941 - quite possible that a radar system could have been positioned there.  I do know that they conducted firings of V1's after the war, having seen the photos.

Quite possibly. The aircrews and aircraft used were from a couple of OTU's , the aircrew had completed their training and were awaiting allocation to an operational unit. There home base was in Lincolnshire and they had flown out via Lancashire and then flown south crossing Anglesey. Either my mums cousins aircraft had climbed or the other aircraft had dived is not certain but the other aircraft managed to make an emergency landing at an airfield in the west country with severe damage to the inner port engine and the bomb bay. Both aircraft were Halifax III's that had been withdrawn from front line service and well past their best.

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

A

Regarding the Big H’s suggestion of the gibbet for the scrote that assaulted KZ’s SiL, I would suggest that putting the scrote into the stocks and letting the community (at a safe social distance) decide how unpleasant the stay in the stocks would be is an appropriate “community sentence” (and very democratic: one man, one rock).

Cheers

iD

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Jeez, you really ARE bored......

Can Bears (and Hippo's) have a rock too please?  Or even better, several rocks....

Why waste rocks and the effort of throwing them when you have this:-

image.png.a18684b6d9c85c9d2e815d1e920ddd01.png

They seem to have plenty of hose to deliver the contents.

Talking of 'lucky' transfers from ships that went on to sink with great loss of life. I had a colleage who was a Royal Marine aboard HMS Prince of Wales. He was put ashore at Singapore to help reinforce the garrison there and ended up on the Burma death railway.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Possibly Trials based at RAE Aberporth?  It's been a missile/rocket firing range since 1941 - quite possible that a radar system could have been positioned there.  I do know that they conducted firings of V1's after the war, having seen the photos.

If it were radar trials then they would have been conducted at Malvern  which was the RSRE establishment during WW2.  We were still using it for air defence radars in the late 1980's.

The Air Support unit was based at RAF Defford. (during WW2)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 8

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Just been to get a picture of this Spitfire in some ones front garden around the corner from us.

It's about 3/4 scale I would say, and made of wood by the chap that lives there, even the Prop goes around, especially on a windy day.

1855525523_IMG_1638-Copy.JPG.4388787c1a5b79586e53366694d1eb7d.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG.44e45c12180592921898261ed1f858df.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG.ffdf17617f857a9ee91d7ad6d013eee9.JPG

Thought it looked familiar. Looks like it has had a repaint since the last time I saw it.

Night awl

Edited by laurenceb
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Sorry, but that was not a good and/or skiliful landing. A good and safe crosswind landing is best achieved by approaching with drift on (I.e., pointing sufficiently into wind to fly straight towards the runway) then immediately before touchdown applying rudder to 'kick off' the drift and land on both mainwheels simultaneously. The way you described the landing is not a good idea. There are other ways such as what is called the one wing down approach but they all end up with touchdown being with the aircraft pointing down the runway and on both main wheels at the same time.

I may have not given the pilot enough credit. I guess that how he did it is as you explain,

All I really remember is looking along the runway from a side window just before landing. The last moment kick was probably what made me describe it as "touch and turn".

• Like 15