The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Simon G said:

Afternoon all,

Today has been mostly spent outside again.  Last year, I constructed a simple wooden frame with netting around it, as a cage for fruit bushes.  As it worked well, I have made another, only slightly smaller, so that it will nest inside the other one when not in use.

Also last year, I had a lot of ants running up and down our two small apple trees.  This year I have decided to try and stop them.  I read online that duct tape was a good deterrent if place around the trunk, sticky side facing out.  I applied some yesterday, and the ants clearly didn’t like it.  Today I noticed that some had got over their dislike and were managing to cross the tape without getting stuck (serves me right for buying cheap duct tape!).  The tape has now been reinforced with a band of double sided tape, that is much stickier than the duct tape.  So far, the ants have failed to cross it, so I will see how long that lasts!

Your post reminded me of the short story by Carl Stephenson Leiningen Versus the Ants.

• Like 10

As a Luton resident I'm not going to leap to the defence of my local airport. I can't disagree with anything that's been said by other ERs. In years gone by, I've offered free parking at my house along with pick up and drop off to friends and relatives flying from Luton. These days, if you so much as breathe too close the boundary, the airport wants to hit you with a charge of some description in attempt to squeeze every last penny out of anyone and everyone.

The airport is a major source of income for the council, its ultimate owners. The current situation has created a major hole in their finances which will doubtless mean more cuts.

Despite being less than 30 miles as the low cost crow flies, I won't use Stansted. For all I know, it might be a nice airport, but I couldn't tell you what it looks like. I've always ended up running for my flight, despite leaving more than enough time to get there. Even different routes made no difference. Similarly with Heathrow, from here it can be 45 minutes or 3 hours away. It's pot luck. Unfortunately it's the only option for certain destinations.

As for airlines, I've no particular favourite. Given the choice when flying on business to Germany, I would always choose Lufthansa over BA. Nicer coffee, prettier hosties. As for the rest, many of whom no longer exist, none particularly stand out.

Except one.

Iberia.

Never again.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, 45156 said:

My most memorable experience with that airline was when I was flying onwards from Glasgow to Campbeltown, with a through ticket onto Loganair, which at that time was part of the Airlines of Britain group, and therefore was part of the same outfit as British Midland ... 

... So I didn't worry, and on arrrival, at Glasgow, over an hour late, the senior stewardess asked me to come with her, and I was off the plane first, was then handed over to a member of ground staff, and taken to a little 8 seater aircraft with a lady pilot - I was sat in the co-pilot's seat, and the door was closed, and the plane took off ...

My cousin's wife was a pilot with Loganair. I wonder ...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Despite the lockdown the house next door has a new tenant moving in. Not a lot of detail at the moment but I doubt there will be noisy parties like the last lot. The new tenant is a disabled chap with his partner and her little girl. Apparently he suffered brain damage when he was a teenager that has left him with a mental age of 12. I hope to speak to him in the next week or so social distancing permitted. Another bit of news, the local chippie re-opened today so I had saveloy and chips for lunch, I can almost hear my arteries hardening now. I had to give up on Farcebook last night, the screen went blank. I did manage to get into the 'new' Facebook but thats even less user friendly than the 'old' Farcebook. I checked just now and the 'old' one is back up so I'll try a bit of catch up now.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Aditi’s uncle in California sent a message saying he was organising a family Zoom meeting at 8pm GMT. Aditi said we hadn’t used Zoom. Her sister said she would be in bed  ( she gets up at about 4am. ), MiL didn’t know what Zoom was and Aditi’s brother suggested Friday afternoon. I put Zoom on my iPad so if they insist we can join in on Friday.  Though I was disappointed as I couldn’t see how to appear as a talking potato. Aditi’s uncle then asked how we had family video meetings,ie what software did we use. Aditi said they just talked as they know what they look like!

Tony

• Like 3
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Now, c'mon Flavio!

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

As to your second point... C’mon John, you should know better, you’ve been to Switzerland enough times. 200kph on the flat is admittedly miles away from HST/TGV standards, but in Switzerland, where flat is almost nonexistent (and where, when you go downhill you’re also going uphill!), 200kph is pretty good going (and let’s face it if the SBB would be run by a British TOC, you’d be pushed to get to 60km/hr on the flat - assuming it wasn’t all “bus replacement services”)

A lot of Switzerland is flatter than most realise! That said, most of the Neubaustreke (commonly referred to as High Speed Lines) are in tunnel to keep them flat. (I take your point about a British TOC and have regularly submitted myself to the trials and tribulations that masquerade as Southern Failways!) (BTW, where the road permits, a bus replacement service could run at near 90km/hr whilst the trains are timed for 120km/hr!) (Bus replacement can be extremely uncomfortable over the sleepers! :jester: )

However, the trains used on such lines in Switzerland tend to be standard Re4/4" or Re460 loco hauled. This is changing but I am not yet fully acquainted with the specifications of the newer units. The journey times from Spiez to Brig and Arth Goldau to Bellinzona have improved considerably with the opening of the base tunnels, albeit with the same traction but a better signalling system [comparable to the French TVM430*], compared with the older routes via Kandersteg or Goeschenen respectively simply by flattening the route through the mountain.

The TGV (was the basis of the old Eurorats) was designed with sufficient tractive power available as to be able to ascend some decent gradients at full speed, thus alleviating the need to keep the line flat.

I submit that, for me, anything less than 300kmph is NOT high speed. (Make that 270km/hr; there are still limitations on the Paris - Lyon LGV!)

*TVM430 - "Transmission Voie-Machine" upto 430km/hr; used alongside ETCS Level 2 (the system being deployed in Switzerland) on lines such as the LGV Est from Paris to Strasbourg which is timed for 320km/hr running.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I think the pilot had gone to the loo. Bit risky considering how low we were.

deck2.jpg.9b94ef2cccbd78ac4df4d19776b7ba80.jpg

Could that have been his reason?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

From what I understand the new tenant next door signed* the tenancy agreement the day before lock down that is why he was able to move in. The delay was in trying to hire a van to do the removal. *Due to his circumstances his sister signed on his behalf as his carer/responsible adult.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

Evening all, after an early shift doing the G word a nice 12 mile bike ride followed, people keep assuring me that more people are driving about, well they don't seem to be round here, really quiet as we listened to the Skylarks singing as we tootled along. I ordered a delivery of compost from our local garden centre and they delivered it this afternoon, so lots of potting on tomatoes and chillies into bigger pots tomorrow. Nice day forecast with rain at the weekend, so maybe muddling will take place then, very unusually I am sporting a tan this early in the year, normally up here I just go rusty.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

From what I understand the new tenant next door signed* the tenancy agreement the day before lock down that is why he was able to move in. The delay was in trying to hire a van to do the removal. *Due to his circumstances his sister signed on his behalf as his carer/responsible adult.

Moving house has always been permitted under government advice.  Getting a van is the hard part.  

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Congratulations in order

johncolby.wordpress.com/2020/05/06/there-is-a-doctor-in-the-house/

John, your link isn't working. I have it also on my e-mail so congratulations to the young lady.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, pH said:

My cousin's wife was a pilot with Loganair. I wonder ...

My brother had a Summer job with Loganair a few years back when they were still operating out of Renfrew Airport. He claimed that on one occasion a fellow student was given the task of emptying the toilet tank on one of the planes. Apparently this had to be carried for some distance inside the cabin. He dropped it and manged to spill the contents.

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about enjoyable flights two of mine were on North West, an airline not always known for good service.

First trip was from Honolulu to Tokyo First Class travelling together with my brother and his wife to whom I had given a round-the-world ticket for their 25th wedding anniversary present. At the time we travelled it was still possible to smoke and as my brother and his wife were smokers they travelled on the upper deck and I travelled on the main deck. One of the cabin crew asked me why there was a Mr. B travelling on the upper deck and the other Mr. B was on the main deck. Explained that they were smokers and I was not but also mentioned why they were travelling. Soon after my brother and his wife were given an unopened bottle of champagne to celebrate their anniversary and I found a very nice bottle of red wine on my seat. 

The second trip was from London to Boston and I was sitting on the back row of the upper deck. Got chatting to the guy sitting next to me and found out that he worked for North West based in Boston. We got talking about our flight experiences and I mentioned one flight were I was served a Japanese platter which came with neither chopsticks or knife and fork. I asked for some chopsticks and was told to use my fingers. My next flight a few days later was from Boston to Minneapolis to catch the plane back to Tokyo. Breakfast was served but there was no cutlery on the tray. Then I looked up and saw that the cabin crew were watching my reactions. Then it clicked, the guy beside me on the fight to Boston had found my onward travel arrangements and asked the cabin crew to remove the cutlery...… I smiled and got my cutlery. Nice one, I thought!! 

…. and with that, its time for bed. O yasumi nasai.

Keith (or Ki-chan as known to my friends in Japan)

• Like 15