The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's the two ring issue.

Obviously the old codger's story was so good it had to be heard twice!

According to my brother a BOAC VC10 pilot did the same to a little old lady on the back row. He got sacked.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/05/2020 at 13:33, iL Dottore said:

I couldn’t agree more. For example, I have spent nearly 35 years of my life developing drugs (mostly against cancer), yet on the ioi (Internet of Idiots) my opinion on the likelihood of having a vaccine against COVID-19 by Christmas, is worth no more than someone who “heard something from a mate down the pub” (in fact, on such matters, my views are often considered as less than worthless as I am part of the “Evil Pharma Industry” and on such matters the ioi’s view is “well, he would say that, wouldn’t he?”).

As a former FIBMS I agree with your comments on this.

Which, I think, reflects badly on the hostels in question. For many homeless people, their dog is their lifeline and, I would argue, vital for getting them back on an even keel. From what I’ve seen in documentaries and from what I’ve read, homeless people take really good care of their dogs and would rather sleep rough than be parted from their dog (I once talked with a young man with a lovely Jack Russell bitch, he definitely looked a bit worse for wear - poor s0d - but the dog  was healthy, happy and good natured and so well groomed, that she could’ve gone into the ring at Crufts without anyone remarking on her).

First visited a homeless hostel in 1967 but had no idea that I would ever work with the homeless later as a member of the Red Cross and can also agree with you that the dogs are usually very well kept.  Some however are not shall we say 'not very nice dogs' but you can understand that when a homeless person manages a tent and vandals burn it and its contents it is not surprising that the next step is to 'get a dog'.

On the subject of homeless people, my view is “there for the grace of God, go I

“ I have been lucky inasmuch as I have avoided all those problems, such as alcoholism or drug addiction, that plague so many. I also have been lucky, inasmuch as the really stupid mistakes that I have made in my life have not had major consequences, unlike for some of these poor bu99ers.

Marriage break-up is a common cause of homelessness generally for men  so "there but for the grace of God go I" is possibly something that a numberof us on here may be thankful.

Your view of modern day gyms being based on school gym lessons, couldn’t be more misplaced. I’ve done both: “skool gym” and “modern

Have a great start to the week!

Gyms are something that I personally think are expensive ways of trying to keep fit ... may be of help but definitely not for me.  Played last infrequent by that stage game of Rugby at 45, do no regular exercise but until this 9 of 12 have always been very active.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

LUFTHANSA = let us fondle the hostesses and not say anything

Chris 

Not on any of their flights that I have been on....

BA Boing Always

Been to post office..fine

Pharmacy...shut..try tomorrow. 

Baz

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, well jobs finished so about to go for a shower and then sit in the garden with a G&T.

The LUFTHANSA acronym made me laugh, I came to the conclusion some years ago flying American Airlines that to be a stewardess for transatlantic flights you had to be over 55 and internal 50 or maybe I was just unfortunate on those flights.

As I said before flights anywhere are going to be a long time coming I think, couple of comments above re a vaccine which I agree with more likely to see Father Xmas than a vaccine at Xmas.

Anyway  enjoy the rest of the day folks

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Now back to nature with a few pics of the newly shorn lawn etc plus some views of the jungle beyond it and one of the veg patch -

2048879261_DSCF1093copy.jpg.8d91a04e0b90a631189d5425a50cb356.jpg

My jungle, and a little rain to boot:

1463611452_202005may20heavyrain-01.JPG.0775aad493442d9fc7e69521c3569235.JPG

Note that about 75' behind the white shed is the Norfolk Southern R line, 10 or so trains a day. The only reason that I do not defoliate the jungle is that I like my trees more. I have been thinking of installing a wireless video camera back there, but ................................

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Finally caught up, after a very long session with matters domestic - aka the oven, and it was in a bit of a state, to the extent that Oven Pride didn't actually clean the top or the back - it took a scraper and a lot of elbow grease to get it even resembling clean - and it will probably need to be done again in the next few weeks, as it's still not clean - 30747 reminded me that it was probably something like a year since it was done last - I think that I might try to find one of these oven cleaning companies as soon as the lockdown is lifted.

Now then, air travel - well I have not flown a lot of long haul, but I have travelled a lot on domestic flights, to the extent that I had frequent flyer rights on my domestic travel, which meant that I could use the frequent flyer lounge with British Midland at Heathrow, which meant that I could use the free bar - that meant that I often had a buck's fizz or two before flying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Leeds.  My most memorable experience with that airline was when I was flying onwards from Glasgow to Campbeltown, with a through ticket onto Loganair, which at that time was part of the Airlines of Britain group, and therefore was part of the same outfit as British Midland.  So my flight from Heathrow to Glasgow was delayed by over an hour as the B737 went tech - and we had to wait for a replacement aircraft to come in from Belfast.  A word with the check in lady, and a flash of the diamond club membership card and an explanation of my through ticket ensued, and she replied "don't worry, it's all in hand".   So I didn't worry, and on arrrival, at Glasgow, over an hour late, the senior stewardess asked me to come with her, and I was off the plane first, was then handed over to a member of ground staff, and taken to a little 8 seater aircraft with a lady pilot - I was sat in the co-pilot's seat, and the door was closed, and the plane took off, then landed in Campbeltown, where the person that I was meeting was waiting, as he had been advised that I was on my way,  The aircraft was on a positioning flight to Barra and Benbecula, so could be easily diverted.  This was totally unofficial, and I don't know how (or if) the landing fee was sorted out.  However, well done to British Midland.

Now for the pits - Dan Air where I was delayed for three hours by a B1-11 which went tech, and was replaced by a Comet, which was on its last legs, and I believe was its last flight in public service.

ANd then there was air UK where I flew into Humberside in a Shorts 3-30 in a 40 knot crosswind, and a few of the other passengers had to use the bags provided in the seat pocket. 

And as for British Airways - used once, never again, after a 4 hour delay on a flight from Newcastle due to fog in Munich - that was the last flight into LHR that night, and the long term car park buses were down to every half hour, and even at that time (half past midnight, I got out of the car park), I then drove straight into a tailback on the M25, and got home about 3am from an 04.30 start - never used BA again, and even though I was on instruction to use the cheapest parking facility (ie long stay), I never did, and made up the difference myself to the short stay, which at least was a walk from the terminal

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Bramble clearance,  the area we planned  was done but some of the wreckage still requires clearing.

Japanese knot weed,  the remaining stalk got injected with glycophosphate,  I've cleared one area completely,  one is now very tiny,  and not getting above a couple of inches tall it's so stunted. I reviewed recommended treatments again, and was surprised to find companies charging huge amounts to clear it, when it's easy.

Either repeatedly spray 3 times a year for a few years. 

Or

More effectively inject the stems with it neat, that kills it directly,  no need for face masks, Neither do you need an expensive " knotweed injector",  I just used a cooking syringe costing less than a fiver.. 

Some work on the radar was carried out namely,  the corners of the first level were filled off and the 4 main I beam legs glued in place , a bit fiddly getting them lined up,  but they are now setting.  

The HF 200 had it's first coat of the mixed paint.. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, The Lurker said:

i have read previously that there is nothing magical about the 2m figure. Apparently the "safe" distance is around 1m, but they felt that if they said 2m, then they would achieve at least 1m in this country.

I don't think this is accurate.

From personal observation (in bright sunshine) I have seen droplets of spittle from a regular outdoor conversation easily travel close to 2m. Sneezing and coughing will project droplets much further than 2m in still air. Of course we are supposed to cover coughs and sneezes to prevent this.

Cough simulation (>4m)

MIT sneeze video (~8m / 26') 

Masks help a lot, but still produce a cloud of particles around your head. Using a tissue is more effective than the inside of your elbow. Using your hand deflects the blow somewhat unpredictably.

In still air gravity will pull most droplets from normal conversation to the ground in <2m.

I saw a software simulation where an uncovered sneeze produced a cloud of particles that could travel over shelving into the adjacent supermarket aisle. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

7 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Worst airport YVR. It may have improved over the years but arriving at 05:00 and not even a coffee available while having to wait over 90 mins to get luggage.

YVR is one of my favourite airports in the world, but this is because of a truly magnificent work of unrequested customer service of the sort that gives Canadians the reputation they deserve. I've shared the story here before but an airport employee stepped up and made my and my young son's day - and then disappeared. I cannot imagine this happening in a large international US airport.

I transited YVR twice last October. The international terminal is nice enough. On my way back I had to schlep to the very end of a dumpy old Air Canada terminal pier early in the morning after a trans-Pacific non-stop. (I think it was E94.) There was coffee. It might have been later than 05:00.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As regards to the famous barrel roll, my retired pilot brother told me it's only a 1g manoeuvre so no problem for most aircraft.  

Jamie

There is video kicking around of a guy in an Exec Jet (I think) doing the same thing, with a glass of wine standing on the instrument panel.  Didn't spill a drop

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Gosh, that brings back memories...

What about...

BA = Bloody Awful

SABENA = Such A Bloody Experience, Never Again

TWA = Try Walking Across

AA = Absolutely Awful (and many, ruder, variations)

Do any of you recall any others?

Air UK = Air Yuk

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Just received an emailed version of the contract saying my pay will be cut to 90%. Please print out sign,  then scan and email back by tomorrow. 

So what happens if you don't sign?  My guess is that a Employment Lawyer would advise that what they are doing in the U.S. isn't enforceable in UK

3 hours ago, PeterBB said:

First visited a homeless hostel in 1967 but had no idea that I would ever work with the homeless later as a member of the Red Cross and can also agree with you that the dogs are usually very well kept.  Some however are not shall we say 'not very nice dogs' but you can understand that when a homeless person manages a tent and vandals burn it and its contents it is not surprising that the next step is to 'get a dog'.

I understand that another reason for the homeless getting a dog is that it makes it much harder for the police to arrest them, as they are duty bound to make provision for the dog too.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A quick stop by just to recount my worst, most tedious and best flights.

Worst: Saudia from Dhahran to London (can't remember which) ancient 747, 'dry' flight crewed by American expats who simply didn't give a f..... Last flight to London before start of Ramadan, it was wedged.

Tedious: Monarch Air from Manchester to Acapulco. B-757 before they were allowed to fly direct across the pond, so coast hugged to Iceland, Greenland, Bangor (Maine) to refuel and Eastern Seaboard to Acapulco; almost 12hr. The same in reverse 2 weeks later.

Best: LHR to Dhahran. British Caledonian. I was travelling alone and it was in the days 'when you could' and so I did visit the flight deck and because I was able to make sense of a lot of the instruments, especially the radar (I was in the business, albeit military aircraft) conversation ensued and I spent most of the flight in the then spare flight engineer's seat complete with refreshments served 'at seat' and a great view of the pyramids and sphinx from 40,000 feet.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I was very delayed on  a BA flight (once at the stand it suffered total electrical failure) I got back to the company owned rooms in a bad mood. Our C&O 2was staying. He poured me a very stiff drink and asked what my problem was. I told him. "Right, first thing come and see me. We will talk to Marshall"

I did as I was bid. He was a good mate of Sir Colin Marshall (later to become a Lord). After a bit of banter he then explained to his opposite number that he had a very passed off senior manager he then said to Sir Colin Marshall....."listen mode on"..I then explained what had happened. "Leave this to me but give me your BA card details. I did as asked and went off to another meeting. Flew home next day..waiting for me was a dozen bottles of Chateau neuf du Pape".. what a hero.  He had checked what had happened, chacked which wine I had drunk on the plane. I never found out what happened to the ground stand duty manager but I don't think they had a bright future in BA as they never showed their face in the baggage Hall while we waited...and...waited..

Baz 

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17

48 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I transited YVR twice last October. The international terminal is nice enough. On my way back I had to schlep to the very end of a dumpy old Air Canada terminal pier early in the morning after a trans-Pacific non-stop. (I think it was E94.) 

All the small turboprops use those piers. I've been there on Alaska Airlines. Agreed - not the best part of the airport.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

8 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Pacific Western Airlines = PWA = Pray While Airborne. Please Wait Awhile. Pr*cks, W*nkers & A55holes. 

Or, during the period in the 1970s and 80s when it was owned by the Alberta government, "Peter's Wonderful Airlines".

(Edit. Should possibly add that the premier of Alberta at the time was Peter Lougheed.)

Edited by pH
  • Like 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, pH said:

All the small turboprops use those piers. I've been there on Alaska Airlines. Agreed - not the best part of the airport.

Sounds like the Ryanair bit of Lulsgate (Bristol).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Best: LHR to Dhahran. British Caledonian. I was travelling alone and it was in the days 'when you could' and so I did visit the flight deck and because I was able to make sense of a lot of the instruments, especially the radar (I was in the business, albeit military aircraft) conversation ensued and I spent most of the flight in the then spare flight engineer's seat complete with refreshments served 'at seat' and a great view of the pyramids and sphinx from 40,000 feet.

Sounds like you flew down Italy then crossed the med to libyan airspace to Egyptian to Saudi.  Only did that once myself.   Yes a great view of the pyramids,  annoyingly I was stationed at Tabuk at the time,  so I flew to Riyadh,  then flew back over where I'd started..

All the other flights were Jordan, Lebanon or Syria ,  Turkey,  Greece,  and into the rest of Europe.  

Unfortunately the flight decks were off limits in my time, even on a Saudia, 747 with less than 20 passengers and a double crew.. 

• Like 9

Good evening all!

Been an interesting read these last few days about air freighting passengers!

8 hours ago, Chris116 said:

My first taste of air travel was from LHR to JFK in December 2000 and my father and I were upgraded to first class which was very nice. Cattle class on the way home brought me down to earth! Over the following nine years I flew to USA four more times and all over Europe for long weekends. My passport came up for renewal in 2010 by which time I hated flying so I solved the problem by failing to renew it and over the past ten years I have refused to get a new passport. I hate all airports even if I am just meeting someone, give me a train any day. 

I agree with your train comment, Chris116, and the norm these days seems to be that if the journey can be achieved in 4 hours or less, proper High Speed Train is faster that air travel, taking into account the booking-in times, the wait for a flight path, the wait for any luggage you've been fool enough to entrust to the airline, etc.

This seems to work well in mainland Europe with London thru' Amsterdam now practical. At High Speed (i.e. > 300kmph) (Yes, even through Kent at 300kmph on HS1!)

This then brings me to ponder how both the British Government (specifically, HS2) and the Swiss regulatory bodies can refer to their lines as 'high speed' when they are only aimed at 200kmph.

London - Birmingham (approx. 130 miles, 200km) at UK HST will take an hour; at European HST should take about 40 minutes.

London Edinburgh (approx 400 miles, 600km) at UK HST could take 3 hours whilst at European HST should take about 2 hours.

Intended more as a general observation than as a gripe (other descriptions are available, and I know that there are other threads discussing HS2 and other related topics) but I just wanted to add an alternative perspective to the 'fly or not' discussion!

Frustrated of Ford signing off...

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Best experience:  I did once arrive late in Heathrow having flown from Hong Kong with BA  in the 70's, and was about to miss the last Newcastle flight with another officer.  We were called to leave the 'plane first, our luggage was 'picked' for us while we cleared immigration, we ran to the gate with it and boarded the Newcastle with our cases, with the whole plane load of people looking at us wondering who we were that the plane was held for us and we were allowed to board with cases (the crew took these off us and stored them).  Well done BA.  Trident, on the Newcastle BTW, tremendous acceleration.  

Worst:  TWA 707 to Baltimore, it was a crapper and we had really bad turbulence.

Funniest: Air NZ back to the UK, sat next to an attractive 20 ish young lady Kiwi that the steward was making a lot of fuss over.  She was very pleasant and not a little naive, at the end of the flight the steward having given up trying to interest her in some 'fun' said 'ah well, you could have joined the club' - she had no idea what he meant, we were in kinks.  We didn't explain...she really was not 'worldly'.  13 then 12 hour flight, one stop LAX, won't be doing that again.

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, pH said:

Or, during the period in the 1970s and 80s when it was owned by the Alberta government, "Peter's Wonderful Airlines".

It was actually a lot better as a crown corporation. Many flights between yyc, yyj, yxd, and ymm. Never a problem. Shame they merged with CP. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

12 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

...if the journey can be achieved in 4 hours or less, proper High Speed Train is faster that air travel, taking into account the booking-in times, the wait for a flight path, the wait for any luggage you've been fool enough to entrust to the airline, etc.

....and the Swiss regulatory bodies can refer to their lines as 'high speed' when they are only aimed at 200kmph....

I would certainly agree with your first point. Taking the TGV from Basel SBB to Paris was so much easier and faster than flying from BSL to either CDG or Orly and then braving the perífique (spelling?) - the ring road around Paris that makes the M25 look calm and sane!

As to your second point... C’mon John, you should know better, you’ve been to Switzerland enough times. 200kph on the flat is admittedly miles away from HST/TGV standards, but in Switzerland, where flat is almost nonexistent (and where, when you go downhill you’re also going uphill!), 200kph is pretty good going (and let’s face it if the SBB would be run by a British TOC, you’d be pushed to get to 60km/hr on the flat - assuming it wasn’t all “bus replacement services”)

• Like 9
  • Funny 1