The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Barry O said:

My day is improving..an envelope has just arrived with a replacement nose cone for a battlespaceturbo car. Problem is..where did I put the car???

Baz

Mind is boggling as to what happened to the original nose cone...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Mind is boggling as to what happened to the original nose cone...

Careful, you could damage your mind doing that! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, southern42 said:

.....Toot on the flute is progressing and after oiling the wooden fifes last week I am 'allowed' to play for 10 mins and 20 mins (once a day) next week.  In between, I play the brass whistle which will be substituted by my new plastic piccolo (trade term, but a fife at heart!) so that I am not switching from vertical to horizontal playing.  Because the instruments have their own sounds, I intend to play different pieces on them.  So, for instance, William Bird and Michael Praetorious, on the Renaissance fife and Danny Boy on the Sweetheart fife.  But as things develop I may well change my mind!

_________

Best wishes

Polly

One wouldn't wish to lower the tone but a plastic, one-eyed piccolo - well, really Polly :blush_mini:

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The Farcebook group had nearly 200 applications for membership in the last 24 hours. Some other groups that I am an ordinary member of are experiencing a similar rush including one called 'Disused Railways' whereas other similar groups are static where new members are concerned.

9 hours ago, pH said:

I tried to change the tires on the car yesterday. Snows aren't needed anywhere in BC after April 30 - I had kept them on in case we had gone to visit son and family in Nelson, in which case we should have had them on. First wheel - undid all the nuts, the wheel would not come off the car. Tried liberal use of a rubber mallet, but still no results. So I looked up the internet for cause and treatment.

Second attempt today, using advice from the net. Undid the nuts, put a couple back on, just a few turns. Lay on my side, partly under the car and booted the back of the tire - success! Apparently the problem is caused by the metal of the wheel seizing to the different metal of the hub. Any mild corrosion brushed off the hub, thin coating of 'anti seize' compound (bought yesterday) on the face of the hub, and summer tires mounted.

I like simple fixes. If they also involve some violence to release frustration, so much the better.

8 hours ago, AndyID said:

I've had that happen too. What I do is loosen the nuts on the offending wheel then wind them back in but no more than finger tight. Then drive the car for a few yards and stomp on the brakes. Reverse and stomp on the brakes again.

That's usually enough to crack the corrosion and it avoids getting under the car.

You should use copper grease applied generously to both wheel and hub every time you change a wheel. As has been said getting underneath a car supported by just a jack is extreamly dangerous. Hard braking with the wheels loosely attached is not recomended either. This will put an enormous strain on the studs and could cause them to fracture later.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have to scrape all the accumulated mud out of every crevice in my body until I am nearly pink.

It takes ages to build up a nice protective coat.

TMI!

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

However, call me cynical, but I've a feeling that some drug company somewhere may well get very, very rich.....

Especially if American and sponsoring the orange one. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 15

I have a genuine virus-related question.

Here in Oregon, K-12 school closures and a ban on gatherings >250 began on March 12, followed by the closure of bars / restaurants and a ban of gatherings of >25 on March 17. The full, official, "stay home, save lives" order began on March 23.

Generally speaking, people have been mostly well behaved.

Since then daily confirmed cases of CoViD-19 are essentially "flat" varying in a range from about 30-80 for four weeks or so. A small number of people die here every day - 109 in total so far.

1119224817_covid190503.PNG.1eb1f89be768b79a90ae505f3dd2ed13.PNGDaily confirmed cases. Red line is a five-day average

We are told the incubation period of the virus is about 5 days ( ± ) - leading to a 14 day quarantine period. (CDC says incubation is 2-14 days.)

The biggest "lifestyle" change was the closure of bars and restaurants, now 48 days ago. If the 'standard quarantine' period for untested people entering an area is 14 days, how do we still see a significant rate of new infections?

Unless of course these infections are transmitted via people who are forced to work in a non-distanced environment why is the virus spread not dying out? With very little travel it seems that few new entrants are driving the infection rate.

Is there any data to indicate how long this virus lives in an asymptomatic host and how long an infected person sheds virus?

I make no observations about infection rates - our level of testing in Oregon is meaningless. There are no controlled experiments for statistical measurements available (though some are underway). We know that the virus was present on the US west coast in late January. A Santa Clara, CA woman died on February 6 - now three months ago. It took the PRC about four months to reopen Wuhan, depending on when you start counting.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added graph
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, polybear said:

I'd really like to think that, whoever comes up with a vaccine first, they publish the recipe to anyone that wants it free of charge so they may manufacture their own vaccine accordingly. 

Such corporate altruism would be nice. Perhaps the University of Oxford will do that?

However, call me cynical, but I've a feeling that some drug company somewhere may well get very, very rich.....

Setting aside the complicated problem of fair pricing of pharmaceuticals to cover development and manufacturing costs but not be extortionate, why should a for-profit company, not benefit from selling a life-saving product they developed? This is what they do.

With the market potential of 14 billion doses per year (if it needs two doses) even a modest price will be lucrative.

• Like 11

...I'd really like to think that, whoever comes up with a vaccine first, they publish the recipe to anyone that wants it free of charge so they may manufacture their own vaccine accordingly.  And for those countries without the necessary manufacturing expertise/facilities, then the rest of the world provide vaccine for free/at minimal "no profit" cost accordingly.

This is admirable, but unrealistic. What people don’t see are the very expensive failures - where drugs, initially promising, fail in the large scale (Phase III) studies. I have been involved in a number of large Phase III studies, each costing in excess of US $400 million, that have failed (reasons for failure can include unexpected toxicity that was not present in the animal models or the early stage clinical trials; the inability to replicate in a more general patient population the success seen in the highly selected small populations of the type you find in small Phase I/II studies and so on). Assuming that, as is likely, the majority of vaccine candidates fail for one reason or another, who will pay for the failed studies?

I can see, given the world wide significance of COVID-19 pandemic, that the company that develops a successful vaccine will licence it out “at cost” (I suspect that there will be considerable pressure - political, from the media and from the general public not to do otherwise), but setting up the production facilities, purchasing ingredients, producing and distributing the vaccine will cost - even on a cost of goods basis.

One final point, there are many of us in the Pharma and Biotech industries who don’t like it when the money men come in, buy up a company and increase prices just because they can! Apart from the ethical aspects (and yes, there are ethical Pharma companies out there), it also poisons regulatory and popular attitudes towards those treatments which really are very expensive (such as CAR-T therapy)

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

What people don’t see are the very expensive failures - where drugs, initially promising, fail in the large scale (Phase III) studies.

Unless they are "lucky" enough to find alternative applications like the host of failed cancer treatments being now marketed for auto-immune conditions like psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis. Remdesivir (intended for ebola but failed) seems to be beneficial in COViD-19 recovery.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7