The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings one and all, with many happy returns to Stewart 45156

Let us take another trip into the parallel universe.  Yesterday would have seen the monthly LGBT group breakfast in ‘Spoons, often a convivial occasion.  Tuesday would have seen an agonising choice between the Hut People at St Neots Folk Club and a talk at the LCGB on the last years of the Somerset and Dorset.  On Thursday Belshazzar’s Feast, quite an entertaining duo, were to have played at the Place Theatre and I would have made the short journey to The Stables on Saturday night to see Sam Carter.  Such is the reduction in use of my car that my mileage budget is 2,000 miles in credit.  I’m sure I am not alone in feeling like a caged lion with all those events that are not there for me to attend and enjoy.  What unsettles me, and no doubt many others, is the inability to plan ahead and the futility of even trying.

Today I will be putting some of my culinary skills to the test when I roast a cluckbird, as Rick would call it.  It is not the largest possible fowl that may be had but it will do me a good lunch and there will be enough meat left on the carcase to feed me for a few more days.  Such delicacies as risotto and curry may be made from the remains without too much effort.  As a nation I feel that we are losing the knack of making the most of leftovers.  My parents would have been dismayed at the sight of frozen bubble and squeak on sale in supermarkets.  When I was a lad it was made from leftover spuds and greens.  Last year I stayed at a Premier Inn for a night and was intrigued to see bubble and squeak on the breakfast menu.  I wonder how it got its name?

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

25 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

So had a dream where ...

In the current climate of anxiety there's been much reporting about the vivid dreams people are having.

I've noticed it myself.

4 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Why?

Am I awake at this hour?

That's another reaction to the current climate of anxiety.

My whole diurnal schedule is out of whack. On weeknights I have been watching late night comics until 1:00am or later and despite being tired, not getting to sleep until very late (or rather very early). Happily I am sleeping, eventually - but not arising at a 'proper' time, and occasionally so when the the little hand approaches double digits. By the time some morning television is lazily watched abed, morning ablutions are complete and brunch is consumed, the chiming clock has done its hardest work of the day.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There was some sort of loophole in US regulations. I cannot describe it to you accurately, but it was related to the separate upper and lower receiver components. I was under the belief that things like a pistol grip were attached to the lower receiver and the stock was often a separate component. (I frequently receive unsolicited catalogues in the mail with all manner of mix and match, customized rifle components.)

A whole different kettle of fish in the US is downloadable, plans for additive manufacturing (aka 3D printing) of receivers. The DoJ/ATF is struggling to define how to handle these.

One of the problems concerns the forensic fingerprint of the gun in question.

What would concern me is the standard of workmanship, where parts that are manufactured 'at home' might not have the same fine tolerances, nor be made out of the correct materiel.

When a rifle goes bang, you don't want it to be the breech block failing.

There are all sorts of arcane rules and regulations out there, which might seem rather pointless.

For instance, I have a number of rifles fitted with sound moderators.  I can take them on and off at will because they are fitted to air rifle which are not required to have an FAC.

However, the same rifles, at FAC power settings, require the moderator to be listed on the FAC, and theoretically one should not remove it from the rifle as it changes the description of the rifle from that stated on the FAC.

Some people are under the false impression (too many movies) that FAC rated rifles with moderators get the bang to a pop.  All the moderator does is take the big bang and muffle it.

A moderator does have a marked effect on sub 12 ft lb air rifles, which is great when you are using them in confined areas, or places where the neighbours don't want the Battle of The Somme being re-enacted in the field next door on a Sunday afternoon.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 17

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning. It's cloudy but a bit wsrmer and there is less Welsh sunshine.  We've actually had the fire lit for the last two days.  However  we have been promised sun tomorrow by the seaweed wranglers.   We did our usual market run today and it seemed a little busier though people were, in general distancing. The may be some more scanning done today.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19