The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

22 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Speaking of firearms, I see that Canada, after the recent tragedy in Nova Scotia, has very sensibly (in my opinion) banned a class of semi-automatic rifles presumably the ones that often have tactical rails like the Bushmaster / AR15 (commonly referred to with the vague term of "assault rifle"). The official list is very long and I didn't find a 'generic' description - which is apparently yet to be defined in the official regulations.

The actual definitions of such things are difficult. The US requires serial numbers for the "receiver". Rifles like the AR15 can have separate upper and lower receiver block. While it is blindingly obvious what is meant, it is difficult to describe technically. Hopefully the Canadian government can make a sensible definition.

Would that such common sense prevail south of the border!  Now there is to be a renters strike and if the clowns with guns get involved ( they seem to show up at signs of civil unrest), there might be undesirable consequences.:(

Brian.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

17 minutes ago, brianusa said:

... they seem to show up at signs of civil unrest

Neither coincidental nor a broad-based movement. Like many interests there are Facebook groups that deliberately organize such things nationally for what are relatively small groups (compared with the overall population) but not insignificant.

Much of it is calculated to provoke a counter protest, which can quickly escalate violently. Portland has seen a lot of this sort of thing since January 21, 2017.

To me one of the greatest ironies are groups like the "blue lives matter" movement that organize protests ostensibly in support of law enforcement, but inevitably require a law enforcement presence to police.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful and necessary thing, but as someone once told me, "every liability is an asset, (and vice-versa)".

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, polybear said:

Not exactly an OSA story, but I was a reference on a workmate's Shotgun Licence application back in March this year.  I was told to expect a call from the Police to verify that my mate was suitable to have such a weapon.  I never got a call, and he got his Licence....

(Just in time, as it turns out, as the Police stopped applications very shortly afterwards due to the current situation)

Getting an SGC is much easier than an FAC.  Basically if you have a secure location to keep the gun you intend to buy, and do not have a criminal record, it is difficult not to get the SGC.  The FAC requires quite a few hoops to be jumped through.

23 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Speaking of firearms, I see that Canada, after the recent tragedy in Nova Scotia, has very sensibly (in my opinion) banned a class of semi-automatic rifles presumably the ones that often have tactical rails like the Bushmaster / AR15 (commonly referred to with the vague term of "assault rifle"). The official list is very long and I didn't find a 'generic' description - which is apparently yet to be defined in the official regulations.

The actual definitions of such things are difficult. The US requires serial numbers for the "receiver". Rifles like the AR15 can have separate upper and lower receiver block. While it is blindingly obvious what is meant, it is difficult to describe technically. Hopefully the Canadian government can make a sensible definition.

The top receiver is the chamber that contains the firing pin and holds the holds the round into the breech prior to firing.  The bottom receiver hold the magazine which hold the rounds prior to them being loaded into the barrel bits, and the bottom receiver is also part of the stock.  Both have a serial number, which should match!! 

I had a quick look through the list you kindly provided, and I'm quite surprised at the vast number of semi automatic centre fire rifles that are readily available to own.......until now.  Personally, I have never seen the need for centre fire semi automatic guns in the hands of civilians, but Canada is only catching up with the UK as we banned semi auto centre fire rifles after the Hungerford massacre (although the perpetrator actually killed more people with his pistol).

I see that the list does not include semi automatic rimfire rifles (again much the same as the UK laws.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The top receiver is the chamber that contains the firing pin and holds the holds the round into the breech prior to firing.  The bottom receiver hold the magazine which hold the rounds prior to them being loaded into the barrel bits, and the bottom receiver is also part of the stock.  Both have a serial number, which should match!! 

There was some sort of loophole in US regulations. I cannot describe it to you accurately, but it was related to the separate upper and lower receiver components. I was under the belief that things like a pistol grip were attached to the lower receiver and the stock was often a separate component. (I frequently receive unsolicited catalogues in the mail with all manner of mix and match, customized rifle components.)

A whole different kettle of fish in the US is downloadable, plans for additive manufacturing (aka 3D printing) of receivers. The DoJ/ATF is struggling to define how to handle these.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
On 09/10/2009 at 02:55, Mr.S.corn78 said:

Morning all,

seeing as there hasnt been any others that have started the post i thought keeping with tradition i would start it rolleyes.gif

a dull and over cast day here in the dales.

a hard day at the office i think today but at least its friday biggrin.gif

cheers

Simon

Sounds like my last day at work; but, it was a Thursday. :jester:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The madness that is Farcebook continues. The local history group has topped the 3000 mark and then some. Other groups to which I am a member are also rapidly expanding. Back to the fray, be back later.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, laurenceb said:

The black dog has sliped his leash

Sounds like one of those secret phrases by the BBC to the Resistance from spy stories of WW2:keeporder:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Agree 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

You have just given me an earworm because some new words for part of this song came into my head (and they scan in the right places( -

'Dung dung dung went the hippo'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3sNwccHxI

On the Wheel of Fortune show last night, someone filled out the lyric as "Clank, clank, clank, went the trolley".

• Funny 15