The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good dafternoon 

Late on parade today, I think Thursday nights interrupted sleep caught up with us both, we didn't wake up until after 10 o'clock, having missed the radio coming on at 8:30! I'm now in the workshop where I will continue working on the turntable drive mechanism. 

Back later 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Cleaning of the vacuum was performed yesterday (or was it the day before? - dunno, all days seems much the same to me not that I'm complaining).  Going back to breakfasts I tend to get proper job breakfasts on only a few occasions per annum and always have one the first day onboard when we're on the ship - so that's two I won't be having this year and i only hop Tony 'our' cook survives the loss of income to be back next year.

The lad has just gone shopping because there are local rumours of various things being available at Boots the chemist - I presume he will be joining along queue.  The sun is shining (most of the time) but i'm not sure if the grass or anything else will be dry enough to cut.  The Good Doctor has a nice gap in her roster which means she won't be back on the ward for several days so she can get some outdoor exercise weeding the veg patch at some stage because the weeds are doing as well as the various veg.

I've found from some ONS  map that a total of 8 folk locally have died of the virus although I don't know any of them and it's not clear where/how they caught it.   Looking at the 2011 census figures that equates, if my maths are right, to an equivalent of 68.85 per 100,000. (8 deaths out of a population of 11,619) which makes the rate more than twice that for the South East which is c.25-28 per 100,000.   Although I know the base figures are correct because the 8 deaths are the total for the two local council wards and correspond exactly with the 2011 census total for the same area.  So what could well be wrong is the number of deaths because according to local sources (the Mayor) there have been no Covid-19 deaths of local people.   Seems that yet again we are back to , damned lies and statiisticians.

The ONS map can be found in this article - part way down the page, the one with the green dots, it can be enlarged (sorry about the source) -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8277273/Coronavirus-deaths-TWICE-high-poor-areas-England-Wales-Official-figures-show.html

Enjoy the rest of your day and stay safe.

• Like 16

18 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Andrew

Out of interest, check this guy out, he plays with Bruce Welch on Shadowmania.

That is Justin Daish who started off on the Shadows forums sending in videos of him playing to backing tracks. As he has got older he seems to have morphed into Hank Martin and is very well regarded on the Shadows scene. He played lead in a group 'The Shadowers'. He is more Hank than Hank is nowadays it seems and is a very talented guitarist. The clip above is not from Shadowmania but there are clips of him playing with his group and guesting with others at those events.

I attended every Shadowmania and really miss them. A lot of the groups were semi-professional but all really, really good. Coupled with a great sound in the venue (Lakeside Country Club Frimley Green) it gave me the chance to hear the Shadows' music played live and to a high standard, something I wasn't around for in the 1960s. It has given me the chance to meet some of my 'heroes'. The only Shadows not to appear were (not including Ian Samwell (RIP) and Terry Smart were Hank himself, John Rostill ((RIP), John Farrar and Tony Meehan- although hevhad veen in the audience. There is a lot of of YouTube footage of Shadow mania featuring the likes of the Rapiers,  Bruce Welch's Moonlight Shadows amongst others.

It was nice to see the Shads on national television and not being mocked. There is a tale of Mark Knopfler appearing on Parkinson who kept trying to dismiss the Shads and Hank but Mr Knopfler was having none of it.

There were two previously unseen bits of film from 1957 with Bruce playing a Gretsch/Gibson (sorry not sure which) and Hank with his unloved Antoria which was used pre Strat. Was mildly amused at the references to Hank and Bruce being founder members as Move It was played underneath.. Technically I spose they were founder members of the Shadows but that is only because they had changed the group's name from The Drifters. Founder members were Cliff, Norman Mitcham, Ken Pavey and Ian 'Sammy' Samwell on guitars with Terry Smart on drums. When it came to Move It only Cliff, Ian Samwell (who played rhythm) and Terry Smart were on it aided by Ernie Shear (a session guitarist) on lead and Frank Clark (another sessionist) on upright bass. 

Overall though I think the film was very good although maybe mentioning how Hank came to adopt the echo unit unit would have been included. This was from Joe Brown, the ex-Plaistow fireman who was a session guitarist and played lead for Billy Fury on the sublime 10' "Sound of Fury" which was self written before the Beatles apparently invented such a thing... The Shads- particularly Hank and Bruce were also prolific song writers but this wasn't touched on. They contributed most of the numbers for Cliff's 'Me and My Shadows' LP in 1960 again before the Beatles 'invented' such a thing as the BBC seem so keen to point out. 

Looking forward to hearing something Shadows-like on that magnificent guitar Andrew- played through an echo unit and Vox AC30 amp (there is a good doc on Vox-from Dartford- on YouTube.). Thanks for sharing.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2

32 minutes ago, Natalie said:

That is Justin Daish who started off on the Shadows forums sending in videos of him playing to backing tracks. As he has got older he seems to have morphed into Hank Martin and is very well regarded on the Shadows scene. He played lead in a group 'The Shadowers'. He is more Hank than Hank is nowadays it seems and is a very talented guitarist. The clip above is not from Shadowmania but there are clips of him playing with his group and guesting with others at those events.

I attended every Shadowmania and really miss them. A lot of the groups were semi-professional but all really, really good. Coupled with a great sound in the venue (Lakeside Country Club Frimley Green) it gave me the chance to hear the Shadows' music played live and to a high standard, something I wasn't around for in the 1960s. It has given me the chance to meet some of my 'heroes'. The only Shadows not to appear were (not including Ian Samwell (RIP) and Terry Smart were Hank himself, John Rostill ((RIP), John Farrar and Tony Meehan- although hevhad veen in the audience. There is a lot of of YouTube footage of Shadow mania featuring the likes of the Rapiers,  Bruce Welch's Moonlight Shadows amongst others.

It was nice to see the Shads on national television and not being mocked. There is a tale of Mark Knopfler appearing on Parkinson who kept trying to dismiss the Shads and Hank but Mr Knopfler was having none of it.

There were two previously unseen bits of film from 1957 with Bruce playing a Gretsch/Gibson (sorry not sure which) and Hank with his unloved Antoria which was used pre Strat. Was mildly amused at the references to Hank and Bruce being founder members as Move It was played underneath.. Technically I spose they were founder members of the Shadows but that is only because they had changed the group's name from The Drifters. Founder members were Cliff, Norman Mitcham, Ken Pavey and Ian 'Sammy' Samwell on guitars with Terry Smart on drums. When it came to Move It only Cliff, Ian Samwell (who played rhythm) and Terry Smart were on it aided by Ernie Shear (a session guitarist) on lead and Frank Clark (another sessionist) on upright bass. 

Overall though I think the film was very good although maybe mentioning how Hank came to adopt the echo unit unit would have been included. This was from Joe Brown, the ex-Plaistow fireman who was a session guitarist and played lead for Billy Fury on the sublime 10' "Sound of Fury" which was self written before the Beatles apparently invented such a thing... The Shads- particularly Hank and Bruce were also prolific song writers but this wasn't touched on. They contributed most of the numbers for Cliff's 'Me and My Shadows' LP in 1960 again before the Beatles 'invented' such a thing as the BBC seem so keen to point out. 

Looking forward to hearing something Shadows-like on that magnificent guitar Andrew- played through an echo unit and Vox AC30 amp (there is a good doc on Vox-from Dartford- on YouTube.). Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Natalie, Some really great info. Although were a 50's / 60's covers band, the only Shads stuff we normally do is Apache, but normally open the evening with Move it.

I've never owned an AC30 as much as I would love to, but I couldn't even lift one these days, but I did have a Vox Tonelab with all the sounds from many Amps, Cabs and pedals on board.

My main rig of course is the Bass so I do have Squire Jet Harris look alike for Giging.

908538852_VoxandAmp003.JPG.6db0fefe3401b9909fc34a85543d7366.JPG

661950893_SquireAfinityPJBassinRaceRed.jpg.07269f2c23722967f60a576fdaf06ae3.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Stationmaster Mike may have noticed that in one particular thread someone  is living in a sort of dream world.

Is it iD’s breakfast thread?

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Is it iD’s breakfast thread?

As you were (if you read it before I started again).  Baz means this one, and there's some even stranger things said in here than anywhere else on RMweb (which takes some doing) 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/149392-kr-models-announce-the-fell-in-oo-and-n/page/11/#comments

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes Mike..there are some people on there who must be slightly doolallying. ..or just plain daft.

That  may,  or may not, include me.

Baz

• Agree 2
  • Funny 13