The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 minute ago, roundhouse said:

You can now get into railway shows at discount now... hang on .. what shows:mellow:

Just as I reached 65 most Shows stopped doing Old Codgers Discounts, bloomin cheek.:no2:

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Take a load of clingfilm, wrap it round head, spread peanut butter over head.....

Crouch on all fours.  Dog so busy licking head that doggie stays perfectly still and takes no notice of what's being done to his paws. Works a treat.

I work worked with some f. weird people.

That must be an internet trend. I saw a video a few weeks ago of a woman doing that.  She had the good sense to mention her peanut butter did not contain xylitol which is very bad for dogs. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

To join the biscuit debate, it used to be the Hobnob that got me excited(yes I know even before lockdown I needed to get out more), now the low sugar option is an Oatie biscuit, very nice they are too.

I was born to be a firm Cadbury kid but recent events mean that Cadbury's in the US are made by Mondalez , a conglomerate including Kraft.  Since then they changed the recipe to American tastes which means added sugar.  Fortunately you can still order direct but that gets expensive.  To add insult to injury, I have recently become addicted to Australian Tim Tams so Aussie and British tastes must be similar!;)

Brian.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 minutes ago, brianusa said:

To add insult to injury, I have recently become addicted to Australian Tim Tams

Welcome! Hardly injurious - other than the potential for diabetes if consumed in excess.

9 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Aussie and British tastes must be similar!

One begat the other. As far as biscuits are concerned, excepting brand loyalties, they are really not that different. What they have in common is morning and afternoon tea. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What on earth was that supposed to mean - that you didn't like "posh" biscuits?

I really don’t know. It just seemed a strange thing to say. The person who said it had been raised in a very Communist family. Perhaps it was meant as a compliment ! When I remind him now (forty years on on) he is suitably embarrassed. The biscuits were Rich Tea and Digestives. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Burning questions of the day include whether or not GWR will hastily rename 800025 in which case the duration for which it carried "Captain" might go down as one of the shortest times a train name has been carried in public.  I understand a 66* has also been named but cannot for the life of me find the link I saw it on yesterday; replacing a cast nameplate might be a costlier exercise than re-applying some vinyl lettering.  

I received an email from Margate advertising a replica. I noticed the reference to a schmaltzy, 1945 show tune by Rogers and Hammerstein. It is with great wonder to me that tune is so well known in Britain and almost unknown (other than as part of Carousel) in the US and that it is (so I read) embraced as an anthem in the current crisis.

I presume that Gerry and the Pacemakers and Liverpool F.C. are largely to blame. My favourite rendition continues to be that of Eddie the Shipboard Computer.

Why "A world of our own" by The Seekers hasn't become an anthem of the current crisis, I cannot fathom. ;) (Actually I can.) 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What on earth was that supposed to mean - that you didn't like "posh" biscuits?

I really don’t know. It just seemed a strange thing to say. The person who said it had been raised in a very Communist family. Perhaps it was meant as a compliment ! When I remind him now (forty years on) he is suitably embarrassed. The biscuits were Rich Tea and Digestives. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, brianusa said:

I was born to be a firm Cadbury kid but recent events mean that Cadbury's in the US are made by Mondalez , a conglomerate including Kraft.  Since then they changed the recipe to American tastes which means added sugar.  Fortunately you can still order direct but that is expensive. 

Brian.

Unfortunately Kraft took over cadburys,  lied through their teeth promising no changes.

And promptly changed the recipe for the chocolate  in the UK. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

One suggestion I read of was for Susan Carter to do a monologue from the village shop, to bring us all up to date.

Can you imagine, Christine Barford ,Peggoi Woolley and Jill Archer all taken before their time.

The Mosses being sent to Dartmoor to crush stone.

Grey Gables burning down again

Brian and Jennifer downsizing again.

Harrison Burns investigating a great mystery involving Bunting being found in a Yurt behind a Tagine

The Gills make an appearance

Shula is made Bishop of Felpersham

Richard,

Are you trying to marry me to Shula?

Bill

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Burning questions of the day include whether or not GWR will hastily rename 800025 in which case the duration for which it carried "Captain" might go down as one of the shortest times a train name has been carried in public.  I understand a 66* has also been named but cannot for the life of me find the link I saw it on yesterday; replacing a cast nameplate might be a costlier exercise than re-applying some vinyl lettering.  

* It's 66731 operated by GBRf and co-branded Porterbrook.

The original idea (don't ask me how I know) was for 66731 to carry the name "Nightingale", but that changed over the past week.

And let's not get into a discussion as to which name is more appropriate - that's been "debated" elsewhere.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, roundhouse said:

...sni[p... Recognised the opening scene straight away in downtown Portland, Oregon. ...snip...

My only real experience in downtown Portland (other than leaving on the Empire Builder for Chicago) was eating here; very good food, it was:

PortlandORstreetlight_zpsc2863c8e.jpg.5d467dbdbdd88b777e3a005b41032563.jpg

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1