The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 hours ago, pH said:

Perceptions of food as 'poor' or 'rich' can change: 

https://gizmodo.com/lobsters-were-once-only-fed-to-poor-people-and-prisoner-1612356919

In fact, in places, lobsters were so plentiful that they were ground up and used for fertilizer.

The apprentices in the cotton mills in Paisley demanded a limit on the number of days they could be fed salmon.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Platform 1 said:

It wasn't Margo Leadbetter was it?  :o:lol:

Ah - "The Good Life".  Felicity Kendal - fitter than a butcher's dog....

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

"Noah and his magical zoo boat" ken the ham claims there were about 7000 species on the zoo boat. With no evolution how did that become over 16M recognised different species we have today. 

Inbreeding.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Very true. Here in Basel, Salmon (from the Rhine - Yes! from the Rhine!) were so plentiful that Salmon was fed to apprentices until (IIRC) they revolted. 

Hmmmm?? Same story as Paisley and the River Cart. I suspect we've been had. Snopes might have something to say about it.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I've always wondered how the feck penguins, kangaroos, polar bears, pandas, and other non local species ended up on the ark. Quantas? DHL? To quote Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. "Noah and his magical zoo boat" ken the ham claims there were about 7000 species on the zoo boat. With no evolution how did that become over 16M recognised different species we have today. 

Creationists (some) concede that microevolution led to variations in the different species ("created kinds") since the flood. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Drinking Titanic Raspberry Wheat, very nice

My other half has just downloaded and watching Stumptown. Recognised the opening scene straight away in downtown Portland, Oregon. Should have been there this Summer but just heard on local BBC news that Norwegian Airlines wont be flying out of Gatwick any more so that's our flights gone but no word from them yet to say they are cancelled.

Our fingers are crossed for an xmas trip to the West Coast but again not hopeful.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Hot off the press - as from next Sunday evening 'The Archers' will be working to a different pattern - with a series of repeats of past (seemingly sometimes quite long past) for a period of 3 weeks.  Apparently the initial theme is going to be 'weddings and wakes'.

One suggestion I read of was for Susan Carter to do a monologue from the village shop, to bring us all up to date.

Can you imagine, Christine Barford ,Peggoi Woolley and Jill Archer all taken before their time.

The Mosses being sent to Dartmoor to crush stone.

Grey Gables burning down again

Brian and Jennifer downsizing again.

Harrison Burns investigating a great mystery involving Bunting being found in a Yurt behind a Tagine

The Gills make an appearance

Shula is made Bishop of Felpersham

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

... IMHO, there is absolutely nothing that can compare with a dark chocolate digestive...)

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

100% in agreement there, they are what I attempt to return to the US with every time we visit the UK, they don't last long enough once I get them though! :O

They're available here in some locations, and the best there is for sure!

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

To join the biscuit debate, it used to be the Hobnob that got me excited (yes I know even before lockdown I needed to get out more), now the low sugar option is an Oatie biscuit, very nice they are too.

3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The OFMC staple biscuit is the Milk Chocolate Oatie.

When I visited Australia in October I was sent back with some double-coated Tim-Tams. Arguably they are forbidden to me, but I permitted myself an occasional one from the 'fridge. Civilization has progressed to the point that some versions of Tim-Tams are available here - but not dark or double-coated.

While Australian inventions are often limited to such things as boxed wine, the Hills hoist, Ugg boots and plastic money, (and I'll graciously let Kiwis have Pavlova, they are so desperate to own it) I think they elevated British biscuits. Despite a changing world, Arnott's assorted creams is exactly the same as I remember it more than 50 years ago. I will admit to being partial to Carr's ginger lemon creams as the perfect tea biscuit.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

My other half has just downloaded and watching Stumptown. Recognised the opening scene straight away in downtown Portland, Oregon.

Other than some exteriors and the pilot, it was all shot in LA - that being the contractual obligation so the leading lady could live with her family during filming.

"Stumptown" was of course the nickname for the pioneer city, firs being cleared, but stumps not removed.  Apparently they were even whitewashed so people wouldn't bump into them. The name lives in a chain of coffee shops (and other things). Prosaic as it is, it has more character than being named for Portland (Maine) or the other alternative, Boston (Massachusetts).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Hot off the press - as from next Sunday evening 'The Archers' will be working to a different pattern - with a series of repeats of past (seemingly sometimes quite long past) for a period of 3 weeks.  Apparently the initial theme is going to be 'weddings and wakes'.

is the whole thing available as a boxed set?

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Other than some exteriors and the pilot, it was all shot in LA - that being the contractual obligation so the leading lady could live with her family during filming.

"Stumptown" was of course the nickname for the pioneer city, firs being cleared, but stumps not removed.  Apparently they were even whitewashed so people wouldn't bump into them. The name lives in a chain of coffee shops (and other things). Prosaic as it is, it has more character than being named for Portland (Maine) or the other alternative, Boston (Massachusetts).

yes just read about the programme mainly filmed in LA.

I am sure we have had beer called Stumptown but yes other towns had the same nickname for the same reason. very few stumps nowadays in Portland as its a very green tree lined city and quite different to LA. Will look out for palm trees if I am there when she is watching future episodes!!

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Seems I'm now a Pensioner :o   :yahoo: Bloody hell.

Many thanks to Stationmaster, Kingzance, Gwiwer, BoD, Ian Abel et all for the good wishes :thankyou:

Now then, where do I start??

You can now get into railway shows at discount now... hang on .. what shows:mellow:

• Funny 18