The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Today is retirement day :yahoo:

Off to "work" for the last time shortly, just to clear the nearly-empty already desk, sign some paperwork and hand my pass in.

How nice.

You will be able to just stay at home and relax.

Oh,  wait a minute.............

Seriously though, enjoy it.  You will soon be wondering how you ever had the time to work.

• Like 7
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, BoD said:

For God’s sake open the pubs before we all become alcoholics.

They might need to speak with the owner of the 'spoons chain who intends to re-open from "June or possibly July" according to reports today.  That will be one to watch.  

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Frighteningly, I also had to sign the Hofficial Secrets Act for a short term job in a mail room at (the then Government owned) British Telecom. Sadly, I was not part of any clandestine monitoring programmes that, at the time, BT was rumoured to run (presumably for GCHQ or the like).

Of course Noah saved all the beasts of the Earth by leading them into the Ark two-by-two... assuming that Noah had access to -196*C Freezers, a method for surrogate motherhood and a 100% success rate in birthing the resultant full-term foetuses. I reckon that the only way for Noah to have had two of every beast on Earth in that size Ark would have been if he had had each pair (male and female) as frozen embryos and even then, I reckon he could have only gotten a fraction of Earth's biota into the Ark. Furthermore, what about those species that reproduce parthenogenetically? Or those, such as the Angler Fish, where the male is fused to the female's body after the male finds the female - pretty difficult when you have a benthic lifestyle. Not your basic "male and female"!

For years the Post Office tower did not appear on any maps as it was on official secret in itself. I expect that fooled the cold war spies as they wandered down Maple Street wondering what that big tower was....

And Noah - don't forget that he took 2 of the unclean animals. He took 7 of the clean animals. Which makes his ark requirements even greater....

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Burning questions of the day include whether or not GWR will hastily rename 800025 in which case the duration for which it carried "Captain" might go down as one of the shortest times a train name has been carried in public

An honorary title is different. He's Captain Tom Moore, honorary colonel of the Army Foundation College in Harrogate

In the same way if you're made an Honorary Doctor of a University, you don't use the title. 

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. There's a suggestion that Captain Tom should receive a Knighthood, indeed theres a couple of petitions going round to that effect. I'm all for that and hopefully once it is safe to do so from her majesty. Most Knights recently have been dubbed by Prince Charles standing in for his mother but in the circumstances and being of the same generation I'm sure her majesty would be only to glad to do so.

• Like 11
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

once it is safe to do so from her majesty. Most Knights recently have been dubbed by Prince Charles standing in for his mother but in the circumstances and being of the same generation I'm sure her majesty would be only to glad to do so.

Just use a longer sword 

• Funny 19

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Your wish is my command:

image.png.5c266ad29055f61a7e8c4c414abc7c54.png

Um, somewhere along the line you missed the definition of fairy it seems, to whit;

-> "an imaginary creature with magic powers, usually represented as a very small person with wings:"

:jester::jester:

Nowhere do I see "large lumbering creature that enjoys wading in mud"...

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. There's a suggestion that Captain Tom should receive a Knighthood, indeed theres a couple of petitions going round to that effect. I'm all for that and hopefully once it is safe to do so from her majesty. Most Knights recently have been dubbed by Prince Charles standing in for his mother but in the circumstances and being of the same generation I'm sure her majesty would be only to glad to do so.

When compared to some of the people who have been awarded knighthoods, he is far more inspirational but we are talking about what one elderly gentleman has done over a matter of forty days. Does that really deserve a royal accolade at such a level when I know of one gentleman who gave fifty years of totally voluntary service to his community but was not recognised because applications on his behalf were not supported by the local District or County Councils so didn’t get through the Cabinet Office vetting procedure. I am pleased to say that, after explaining my frustrations to our MP, this gentleman and his wife were invited to one of Her Majesty’s Garden Parties, where they had a wonderful time! Well done Captain Moore, my comment is in no way intended to belittle your achievement.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

(same goes for biscuits IMHO, there is absolutely nothing that can compare with a dark chocolate digestive...)

iD

100% in agreement there, they are what I attempt to return to the US with every time we visit the UK, they don't last long enough once I get them though! :O

They're available here in some locations, and the best there is for sure!

Happy retirement day PollyBear

BIN day for us, all BINs moved last evening to their required spot at the end of the drive.

Buqqer all happing here yesterday other than the previously reported bog roll delivery.

Obtained a rather nice take-out from a local eatery/wateringhole last evening, a spot we can walk to and enjoy in non-lockdown times.

Yesterday and this AM the news, national and local (papers, radio and TV) awash with reports of the stupid VP and his "I don't need no stinkin' mask" visit.

Lovely again here this morning 9 and sunny, 21 expected for the high.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 16

52 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

More to the point, HOW are they still around...……………….

I've always wondered how the feck penguins, kangaroos, polar bears, pandas, and other non local species ended up on the ark. Quantas? DHL? To quote Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. "Noah and his magical zoo boat" ken the ham claims there were about 7000 species on the zoo boat. With no evolution how did that become over 16M recognised different species we have today. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's easier to handle as a solid:  The fresh stuff does get stuck under the fingernails!

I'm told that it also functions as hair restorer but have never needed to try it out, unlike .......

Anyway I had a brain Trump this morning. I thought it was 1st May, we've been locked down too long.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

we've been locked down too long.

I know the feeling.  And a lot of me agrees but understands the need.  SWMBO strongly disagrees and won't have it when I suggest we might need a tiny bit more freedom at the next review due by 7th May.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

58 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

I've always wondered how the feck penguins, kangaroos, polar bears, pandas, and other non local species ended up on the ark. Quantas? DHL? To quote Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. "Noah and his magical zoo boat" ken the ham claims there were about 7000 species on the zoo boat. With no evolution how did that become over 16M recognised different species we have today. 

Magic :O :jester:

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 9