The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Indeed so. An envinmental catastrophe. Who said environmental disasters were confined to the 20th century?

The canneries of the Columbia region, and Astoria in particular, supplied massive amounts of tinned salmon to the world. Most of the canneries would be destroyed in fires in 1883 and 1922.

Astoria, Oregon (famous for roles in The Goonies and Kindergarten Cop) was named for John Jacob Astor, proprietor of the Pacific Fur Company. His descendant John Jacob Astor IV would die with the sinking of the Titanic.  For a short time during the war of 1812, Astoria would be known as "Fort George" (in honour of King George III) after it was claimed by HMS Raccoon in 1813.  

Hence Fort Groge Brewery which is in an old car dealers.

https://fortgeorgebrewery.com/

They used to have a couple of amazing toilets cubicles and the beer is also very good.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

7 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... cursive f

John, colour me intrigued. 

A singularly famous 18th century founding document of the United States begins (in cursive) with "In Congrefs" where the cursive f as a "long s" is quite notable. The transition from "f" to "s" is an interesting one. Use of the long "s", along distinct from the Gothic "s" and "ß" is interesting.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Funny you mention it. I almost brought it up earlier along with the "snakes with pelvi" reference.

A compatriot and fellow "banana bender"* is one of the most egregious proponents of the mythical Fred Flinstone epoch, sponsoring both the Creation Museum and a Noah's Ark "replica" in Kentucky. He left Australia a little after I did, to find more fertile ground for his hypotheses in the US bible belt.

* Which Aussies will recognize as a Queenslander.

I suppose free speech is protected but what I don't understand is the motivation. I can only assume it gives Ham a gigantic woody.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14

2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

... it gives Ham a gigantic woody

At 510' long, the ark is indeed a very large erection.

I was pleased to see the following on their website:

Due to public health efforts to contain COVID-19, the Ark Encounter and Creation Museum are temporarily closed until further notice.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

34 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Astoria, Oregon (famous for roles in The Goonies and Kindergarten Cop) was named for John Jacob Astor, proprietor of the Pacific Fur Company. His descendant John Jacob Astor IV would die with the sinking of the Titanic.  For a short time during the war of 1812, Astoria would be known as "Fort George" (in honour of King George III) after it was claimed by HMS Raccoon in 1813.  

But the fort had already been sold by Astor's Pacific Fur Company to the British (Canadian) North West Company less than 2 months earlier. If the captain of the 'Raccoon' had not insisted on a military ceremony to take possession of the fort, Britain would have had a much stronger case for retaining possession after the treaty ending the war of 1812. And the lower reaches of the Columbia River could have been the Canada-US border, and Washington State could have been part of Canada.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

3 minutes ago, pH said:

... the lower reaches of the Columbia River could have been the Canada-US border, and Washington State could have been part of Canada.

Indeed, and was disputed until 1846*. Much is due to John McLoughlin, factor of Fort Vancouver and founder of Oregon City**, and his frustrations with his employer, (the Hudson's Bay Company), and the 1843 vote in Champoeg.  

* The Pig War in 1859 would resolve the San Juan Islands dispute.

** The end point of the Oregon Trail.

• Informative/Useful 10

11 hours ago, brianusa said:

Something most can agree on - US marmalade is definitely not on!  We went the Robertsons route (until I found out there was no Golly any more:)) and now buy Duerr's marmalade which is much better, especially on what is called an 'English muffin' here, with lashings of melted butter.  Also, its discounted if you care to shop around!

Brian.

Add Swiss “Marmelade” to that almost but not quite list (and French, German, Italian, etc.). Switzerland, France, Italy etc. all make perfectly splendid preserves, but “real” jams and Marmelades are really only made in the UK (same goes for biscuits IMHO, there is absolutely nothing that can compare with a dark chocolate digestive...)

11 hours ago, polybear said:

...1. "Smoked Scottish Salmon" means you're buying Scottish Salmon that's been smoked.

2. "Scottish Smoked Salmon" means you're buying any old Salmon that's been smoked in Scotland.

It's all in the detail, and I'm sure no-one is out to deceive....(yeah, right...)

And there you have it, modern marketing in a nutshell. I suppose it is the piscine equivalent of a supermarket’s house brand copy of X - almost but not quite the same. We also have a similar situation in Switzerland with the traditional Bundnerfleisch (air dried beef). Theoretically the meat should come from Swiss cows, but in practice as long as the meat is processed in Switzerland, it can be sold as Bundnerfleisch (there are labelling differences, but I don’t recall what exactly).
As an interesting digression, the production of “Scottish Smoked Salmon” for the mass market got me thinking about “cheap” (or ‘poor people’s’) food. In countries such as Italy, peasant food (aka la cucina povera) is very much it’s own entity, very different from la cucina borghese, (the Rich get the loin, the poor get the trotters and we get both arrosto di maiale and zampone - both very tasty). Whereas in the UK it can be argued that ‘poor people’s food’ can often be a cheap imitation of ‘rich people’s food’. I suppose the classic example of this is the “white sliced” bread made with the Chorleywood process, which allows bread producers to use a lesser quality wheat and make the bread very quickly (most white bread recipes require high quality flour, butter and milk and take a fair amount of  time to make - all of which costs money). Mass market pasties are another example (puff pastry instead of shortcrust, margarine instead of butter used in the puff pastry...). Both acceptable in their own right, but nonetheless an imitation of the “real thing”.

I wonder if this (to my eyes) lack of an independent non-imitative British cucina povera is due to the land enclosures of the 18th century and because Britain to be the first nation to industrialise, hoovering up thousands of agricultural workers in the 18th century, agricultural workers being the usual origin of a cucina povera.

11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I think you answered your question, but in a slightly different vein, why do some snakes have a pelvis?

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

And why do humans have a coccyx?

(Probably not a great idea to bring that question up in conversation with many of my neighbors, particularly those who firmly believe we were running around chucking spears at dinosaurs :) )

Well... Setting aside evolution for a moment, the simplest answer is Nature is THE recycler par excellence. Putting it simply, once something has been incorporated into the genome, it pretty much stays there, although the physical expression of that gene may be vestigial or absent in the mature organism (which is why we share so much of our Genome with critters like squid or chimpanzees). “Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny” is pretty much relegated to biological mythology, but it’s easy to see why that theory was popular. Anyway, to put it very simply, sometimes genes “switch on” when they shouldn’t or don’t “switch off” when they should - hence all that vestigial tail, moveable ears and six finger stuff.

Developmental biology is fascinating stuff, however if you go into it in any depth you start to wonder how we manage to survive as a species. What can go wrong is an endless list and the consequences of these biological errors can be pretty gruesome (e.g. the so-called “acephalic monsters” [a very old term and probably no longer used]).

Enjoy the day

iD

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

45 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

As an interesting digression, the production of “Scottish Smoked Salmon” for the mass market got me thinking about “cheap” (or ‘poor people’s’) food. In countries such as Italy, peasant food (aka la cucina povera) is very much it’s own entity, very different from la cucina borghese, (the Rich get the loin, the poor get the trotters and we get both arrosto di maiale and zampone - both very tasty). Whereas in the UK it can be argued that ‘poor people’s food’ can often be a cheap imitation of ‘rich people’s food’.

Perceptions of food as 'poor' or 'rich' can change: 

https://gizmodo.com/lobsters-were-once-only-fed-to-poor-people-and-prisoner-1612356919

In fact, in places, lobsters were so plentiful that they were ground up and used for fertilizer.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

Morning, we had a decent amount of rain over night, the pond has been topped up as have the water butts on the greenhouse, the down side is I am sure I can see the grass growing...…………...

After the relief of Mafeking when Tescos delivered, we then had an early delivery of meat from the farmer, so our bare fridge and freezer are now at the desired levels, just waiting on 20 litres of West Country Cider to wing it's way up from Devon, luckily a few cans of Thatchers Haze were in the grocery delivery, so they will lubricate the tonsils for a few days, not that I plan on doing much singing...…….not even in the rain.

Take care and keep it covered...………………………...

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AndyID said:

And why do humans have a coccyx?

Probably to amuse!

I shall relate a tale of a friend whom was serving with my in Cyprus, who forgot which way the wind was blowing and took a downwind landing with about 10kts of wind following.  (Aviators will recognise the slight issue with this).

Since he was jumping a rather fast ram air canopy at the time his landing speed, even allowing for a braking flare was around 25 kts.

He adopted a very good 'position' and did an excellent PLF (Parachute Landing Fall).

But being Cyprus, the ground is somewhat hard and peppered with holes and boulders.

As the pelvis made contact with the ground, he rolled into a boulder which suddenly jumped out of the ground to meet him.

When he stood up, he said, 'My arse is twitching and won't stop'

We thought it was fright until he stood up removed his jumpsuit and dropped his shorts.

There was this little tail, sticking up under the skin at the base of his spine, twitching and wriggling.

After that he was called 'Pig'

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 8