The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

To be precise (pedantic?) it should also be noted that velocity is a vector value, which includes a direction, whereas speed is a scalar. 

I would think our learned friend to my left was implying the vector's magnitude thus making the directional component redundant :)

I've never had an opportunity to put it to the test but I've sometimes wondered if I could get a speeding ticket dismissed in court because the gendarme referred to a "high rate of speed". That's probably unlikely to happen now as my driving has become a lot more sedate.

• Like 8
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

BA - British Association. The latter are very small sizes and were usually used in instruments etc.

And metric long before many countries adopted the metric system.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 6

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

So back to building an HF 200 radar I cut the 12 wedge shaped strips glued them in threes,  flat,  then bend them at the joints when almost set.  Two threes were then glued together, then the two sizes.  

A circle was then glued in at the base to hold it's shape,  and the at the top.  So I have a cone similar to the picture below but 1/148 smaller.  Picture has a Type 85 in the background on top of the R12 building which is where I spent most of my RAF life.. 

The modulator building for the T84 radar,  has had some strip glued and sanded along the roof edges to simulate the concrete roof over hang. 

HF200_and_T85=12.jpg

Are you sure it's OK to post that sort of thing (impressive though it is). We wouldn't want to hear you been dragged out of your house at 3 am for violating "Thee Hoffical Secrets Act" * :)

*Said the way Spike Milligan might have said it.

Edited by AndyID
Mo hinfomation
  • Funny 18

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still not quite made the 3000 members yet but only 5 to go.

A vestage of when they had legs. In the same vein, why do we have an appendix?

And why do humans have a coccyx?

(Probably not a great idea to bring that question up in conversation with many of my neighbors, particularly those who firmly believe we were running around chucking spears at dinosaurs :) )

• Funny 17

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There is nothing quite like wild caught cold water Pacific salmon, particularly the King/Chinook and Coho. Sadly, and despite desperate efforts to reinvigorate them, fisheries are largely destroyed. The history of 19th century salmon fishing on the Columbia is desperately sad, wanton destruction. They were of course ignorant of the consequences but the consequences were dire.

In part by the use of these devices - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_wheel . See the recorded catches for some of these in that entry! I'm amazed to find versions are still in use, but much more controlled.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

John:

I mark your posts with a "like" but I'm not allocated enough computer time to listen to your selections.  All the ones I recognize are pieces I like.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, pH said:

In part by the use of these devices - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_wheel 

Indeed so. An environmental catastrophe. Who said environmental disasters were confined to the 20th century?

The canneries of the Columbia region, and Astoria in particular, supplied massive amounts of tinned salmon to the world. Most of the canneries would be destroyed in fires in 1883 and 1922.

Astoria, Oregon (famous for roles in The Goonies and Kindergarten Cop) was named for John Jacob Astor, proprietor of the Pacific Fur Company. His descendant John Jacob Astor IV would die with the sinking of the Titanic.  For a short time during the war of 1812, Astoria would be known as "Fort George" (in honour of King George III) after it was claimed by HMS Raccoon in 1813.  

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 9

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

And why do humans have a coccyx?

Funny you mention it. I almost brought it up earlier along with the "snakes with pelvi" reference.

A compatriot and fellow "banana bender"* is one of the most egregious proponents of the mythical Fred Flinstone epoch, sponsoring both the Creation Museum and a Noah's Ark "replica" in Kentucky. He left Australia a little after I did, to find more fertile ground for his hypotheses in the US bible belt.

* Which Aussies will recognize as a Queenslander.

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Funny 7