The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Roundhouse, a shredder is a useful gardening tool, I have had one for years. Its so powerful that when I attached a plastic bin bag to collect the shreddings it spat them out so fast it ripped the bin bag to shreds so I resorted to a plastic bin. I then placed the shreddings into rubble sacks and after several months turned into a very good mulch.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

And welcome to virtual mamber's day - a great effort, and I have to say that some of the layouts being shown are quite amazing - WOT? there's something on this site other than ERs and Wheeltappers?  Well there's a thing.

As usual. generic greetings are offered to all my fellow ERs. 

Today, I was "encouraged" to do a second coat of paint on the bench in the back garden, using the Cuprinol which was left - with a pint of Westons by my side, it was done, and there is now no more paint (and no more Westons, come to that).  Still the deficiency can be sorted tomorrow, as Lidl do their own brand cider at 7.4%, and £1.15 for a half litre - and as the bottle proudly proclaims, it is "crafted by Westons".  And Lidl is where we must go first thing tomorrow, as a fodder run is needed, and I can't be bothered trying to get a delivery slot for Tess Coes, Sainsbuggs, or Moreasons.  On the other hand, Argos were amazing, ordered the microwave on Friday afternoon, delivered Saturday afternoon, and as I predicted, it came while we were having our dinner of meatball stew.  As it is exactly the same, it was no great issue to get it into place, and working.

Back later tomorrow, I'm off to see what other layouts have been posted in virtual members' day.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Shedman5 said:

Not disagreeing with this but why then are trials being conducted in France//Italy and China (who can believe their data) using nicotine patches on patients and front line medical staff? I assume its because the data at the moment  shows smokers 4 times less likely to catch covid19 not that it matters they just die of other things prematurely.

Interesting, as I’ve seen similar but opposite. High levels of nicotine in the blood appears to slow the virus but the inflammation caused by smoke, weed, vape is being shown as providing a soft entry point for Covid. No doubt this early and with so few longish term studies the science will go back and forth as things progress. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Shedman5 said:

...snip...

At 12.70 a pack of 20 ( just looked it up) I can't believe how people afford it, no offence to anyone who smokes on here by the way but glad I don't partake.

Wow (a word that I rarely use), that is $15.70 US :o; and here I thought that cigarettes were expensive at around $7.50 a pack.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

Like Chrisf this weekend should have been one of the highlights of the year for me. I usually go to Intermodelbau in Dortmund and then have a week relaxing somewhere like Winterburg or somewhere on the Rhine. It reminds me of my first chance to go, about ten years ago. I was sat at home, bags packed and waiting to go to the airport when I got a phone call from my mum who said have you seen the news. Volcano eruption in Iceland all flights cancelled. Couldn’t believe it.

Anyway this years event has been rescheduled for August but I’m but holding my breath or booking anything.

Regards

Robert

• Friendly/supportive 18

5 hours ago, Shedman5 said:

At 12.70 a pack of 20 ( just looked it up) I can't believe how people afford it, no offence to anyone who smokes on here by the way but glad I don't partake.

Wish I could afford them! Not that I am going to start

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I recently came across something that originated in the 60s around how to quantify stupid. I wish I could find it again. Essentially there are 4 types of people with varying levels. Intelligent, helpless, stupid, and bandits. Graph these with each type in each quadrant of x,y. Think of every action you perform. If it is to your benefit that is a positive X. If it doesn’t hurt others then it y=0. If it benefits others then y>0. Get where I’m going. The intelligent person has most of their points in the x>0 and y>0 quadrant. The helpless person has most of their points in the x<0 & y>0 quadrant as their actions benefit others to their own cost. Bandits (like most politicians, etc) are those who’s actions are X>0 but Y<0. Finally the stupid person has most of their points in the negative quadrant as their actions are to the detriment of themselves and others.

I wonder how many of these "four box models" there are out there? There are many in the "personality" space - including some multidimensional ones (Meyers-Briggs, a 16-box model based on four axes rather than two, etc). 

The Amiable/Expressive/Analytical/Expressive/ on axes, sometimes identified as assertiveness and responsiveness or alternatively (ask/tell, versus emotes/controls emotion) is a popular one in business communication styles classes.

7 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I suppose it could be argued that Trump would be a bandit or stupid or on the border. Nothing he does benefits anyone other than himself. However, most of that benefit is only in his mind as part of his narcissism and actually not to his actual benefit. 6 bankruptcies seems to tip the balance towards stupid. 

That "stupidity" model has a harder time modelling willful ignorance and the complete absence of intellectual curiosity. You could argue that it is an inaction resulting in negative personal consequences, and, armed with resources ranging from a keyboard to the most powerful job in the free world has negative societal benefits.

Cipolla (and is his model) has a Wikipedia page.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

... conspiracy theories ... When it comes to such things (well, most anything really) we should adopt the ABC policing approach -

• Assume nothing
  • Believe nobody
  • Check everything 

The essence to me is critical thinking. Societies that do not value critical thinking do not thrive.

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

For many, the fact that they haven’t “achieved X” or “Y isn’t happening” is “because of a conspiracy” is psychologically easier to deal with than either “X wasn’t achieved ‘cos I’m useless at X” or “Y isn’t happening because of a large number of factors - many random - that make Y impossible” (I believe that there are some interesting correlations between socioeconomic status, formal education and the belief in conspiracies).

The desire to have a simple/lazy explanation rather than confront your worldview with critical thinking is also a factor.

Human ability to embrace cognitive dissonance is a form of a mental survival instinct, but it is the enabler of conspiracy theories.

• Like 13