The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

My postal address tells me I am in Kent, although this part of the country has been in the Boring Borough since 1965.

The one caveat to that is that these days the post office tell us that the county is no longer required information for an envelope. A lot of online retailers have not caught up with that though.

My Dad was born and grew up in Middlesex. He still reminisces about Edrich and Compton's golden summer of 1947.

When large swathes of suburban Kent were transferred to Greater London (1965), the Post Office did have a plan to give SE postcodes to each former area. West Wickham, where we lived from 1969 - 1985, would, of course, been at the end of the list just behind Welling. If I remember correctly, we were supposed to become SE55.

I don't know if similar schemes existed for parts of Surrey, Middlesex and Essex which were similarly absorbed. Nor do I know why the scheme was not adopted.

Putting a county in an address can also cause confusion near to county boundaries. Where I lived recently, a lot of Wiltshire addresses were delivered by the sorting office in Shaftesbury, Dorset. 

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I was born in Romford when the town was well and truly in Essex and it niggles me when the media describe it as 'Romford in East London'. I run a Farcebook group called 'Old photographs of Essex' and for that I include anything east of the River Lee which was the ancient border between the East Saxons and the Middle Saxons. It gets a bit awkward in the north west of the county where bits have been swapped between Essex, Cambridgeshire and the Southern Folk where the rule of thumb is if it has been part of Essex at some time its allowed. It helps that Essex has the second longest coastline in England, 7/8ths of its borders are defined by water.

• Like 18

55 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Romford when the town was well and truly in Essex and it niggles me when the media describe it as 'Romford in East London'.

Yes it annoys me as well.  Although born in Brentwood, I went to school in Romford, Essex .

I suppose confusion started after it was absorbed into the London Borough of Havering.  Lots of other places such as Ilford, Dagenham and even Upminster also became within London Boroughs,  But I always still like to consider them Essex.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

When I was born, Manchester was in Lancashire, as far as I’m concerned I was born a Lancashire lad and I still am!

Anyway, back to today, the sun is shining and the skies are blue with very few clouds about, but I can see a single contrail which appears to be heading east. We ended up sleeping in this morning and I’ve only just finished my breakfast, so quite a bit of the day has already gone. But that doesn’t mean that things won’t get done, just not as much as would have been. As to the plans, we’ll there aren’t any as such, my first task is to bring up the newly painted towel rail and wipe it down ready for use. The one that is currently being used will then require cleaning, and repainting, so I’ll crack on with that and earn a few brownie points. Whilst the paint is drying time will be spent in the workshop working on the turntable. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

suppose confusion started after it was absorbed into the London Borough of Havering. 

Especially for deliveries. More than a few items intended for the Council offices in Romford were delivered after attempted delivery in Havering atte Bower. 
Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Glad to say it is still sunny here. 

Me and me Blackbird are going to have a talk. His song is beautiful but at 4am he needs to be a bit quieter. Years ago at York Show some of the lad from the Butcombe Junction group would sing about what to do about Blackbirds..."and with a gerd big stick I'll knock ee off blackbird I'll av ee!"  I trust that this will not be necessary.

I have some "chores" to do today..this nay or may not include the application of futniture polish and the use of a polishing rag to buff it up. Pah!

Mugatea has arrived. Yippeeedddoooo!

Last night we made use of the email and collect from our local chippy. Never have chish, fips and mushy peas tasted so good!

Time to drink my mugatea  then grasp Friday firmly and shape it to let me get things done!

Have a safe and healthy day everyone!

Baz

You could just imagine you are going round your favourite loco giving a bit of TLC...

• Like 7
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1