The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Rather random thing this morning, as I was oaying in the DIY store the music playing in the background was Mike Oldfield's song, Never going to get to France.  Rather ironic I thought.

Jamie

Tres bizarre. Playing an Oldfield compilation through Sonos and just heard that not 10 minutes ago. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Tres bizarre. Playing an Oldfield compilation through Sonos and just heard that not 10 minutes ago. 

It's a song I love, Maggie's voice is brillant.  I used to play it in the car just before we boarded a ferry to France with the kids. As Cheapskates it was usually a midnight departure from Folkestone or something similar.

Jamie

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Has Rutland declared independence again? Great Britain has three countries. Never sure why the Olympic team is TeamGB rather than TeamUK.

I thought Great Britain only had two countries.

(Exits PDQ to avoid incoming barrage of leeks.)

Edited by AndyID
Speeling
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Happy anniversary Mr. & Mrs. Stationmaster. Went down to Tess Coes this afternoon as bread was running low and they didn't have the bread that I want so I got the three cheese bread instead and some salami to go with it. 

1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Happy anniversary to Stationmaster Mike and his bride.

BIN day it is...

Nothing startling to report from yesterday, sadly this morning we learnt that our friends/traveling companions (her) father died in the night. Not from the virus, sadly he was living in a care facility and managed to get up, slip and bang his head :(

The shelter situation will complicate matters for them dealing with this. They were only over yesterday afternoon, dropping off a cake they'd made - we social distance etc., etc., but try and see each other each week if possible.

We managed a nice meal last evening with me mastering a new talent, cooking "exploding rice noodles", not done it before, and it does warrant some amusement :) (Google will help if you're not familiar)

To match newbryford post I offer this, today was rather pathetic as it was just three cars but generally varies anywhere from 3 to 20+ on this shortline. View from my home office;

Sunny and 6 first thing, high of 17 expected.

Enjoy the day everyone...

I counted only two cars, and two locomotives, rather excessive power.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Happy anniversary Mr. & Mrs. Stationmaster. Went down to Tess Coes this afternoon as bread was running low and they didn't have the bread that I want so I got the three cheese bread instead and some salami to go with it. 

I counted only two cars, and two locomotives, rather excessive power.

Standard for CP. extremely rare for a single loco outside of yard limit. Serves 2 purposes. 1 it leaves a cab leading regardless. 2 redundancy if one fails far from home. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I thought Great Britain only had two countries.

(Exits PDQ to avoid incoming barrage of leeks.)

Two kingdoms - at least until the Act of Union in 1707. Thereafter, the crown ruled over the two kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland, until the Act of Union of 1801 created the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Two kingdoms - at least until the Act of Union in 1707. Thereafter, the crown ruled over the two kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland, until the Act of Union of 1801 created the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Two kingdoms and a principality to be precise nit picking.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1