The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

First lot of three bin lorries have been and landfill waste has gone.  Glass,plastics and cans left to go and also garden waste. We share the latter with our friends next door although since I've had the garden relaid we don't use it much. I think Russ must put dead bodies in it judging by the weight when I wheeled it out last night!Have a good one,

Bob.

I tend to climb in the top of my garden waste bin (a step ladder helps here...) and jump up and down a bit.  It's amazing just how much it'll compress down.  Best to do this when it's nearly full though, otherwise it's a real bitch to climb out again.  I'm waiting for the day when I get it wrong and there'll be a T-I-M-B-E-R moment as both bin and I go over....

For those who fancy less excitement these may help (no experience of such gadgets though):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheelie-Bin-Compactor-BinWhacker-heavy-duty-muilti-fit-waste-compactor/164027307860?hash=item2630ca1754:g:C6kAAOSwBi5dvP4F

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Mental turmoil then occured as I  then decided I would need to source an 8 pin socket and wire it into the loco before I could pin the decoder into place.

Where do I get one?

Hang on a minute Brains!

Yes gentle reader, then the penny dropped:  Cut off the 8 pin plug and hard wire onto loco as orignally intended.

Doh!

Testing the decoder before cutting off the plug could be a good scheme - it'll no doubt screw any chance of warranty claims in the future though.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Has Rutland declared independence again? Great Britain has three countries. Never sure why the Olympic team is TeamGB rather than TeamUK.

As the full title is the  United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, praise be that we only use the abbreviation rather than TeamUKOGBANI

• Like 2
  • Agree 16

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

It's amazing just how much it'll compress down.  Best to do this when it's nearly full though, otherwise it's a real bitch to climb out again.  I'm waiting for the day when I get it wrong and there'll be a T-I-M-B-E-R moment as both bin and I go over....

I worry that you should be mentioning this within the hearing of one GDB

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 15

44 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Has Rutland declared independence again? Great Britain has three countries. Never sure why the Olympic team is TeamGB rather than TeamUK.

R U forgettin' Norn Irn……………………………………?

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Never sure why the Olympic team is TeamGB rather than TeamUK.

Because the Channel Islands and the I-o-M are not part of the UK but are considered part of GB. IIRC some Olympic contestants have originated in the I-o-M and the Channel Isles.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, polybear said:

I tend to climb in the top of my garden waste bin (a step ladder helps here...) and jump up and down a bit.  It's amazing just how much it'll compress down.  Best to do this when it's nearly full though, otherwise it's a real bitch to climb out again.  I'm waiting for the day when I get it wrong and there'll be a T-I-M-B-E-R moment as both bin and I go over....

For those who fancy less excitement these may help (no experience of such gadgets though):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheelie-Bin-Compactor-BinWhacker-heavy-duty-muilti-fit-waste-compactor/164027307860?hash=item2630ca1754:g:C6kAAOSwBi5dvP4F

Testing the decoder before cutting off the plug could be a good scheme - it'll no doubt screw any chance of warranty claims in the future though.

But to do that I need an 8 pin socket connected to a suitable loco

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Because the IOC, very wisely, does not want to get involved in Irish constitutional issues.

No. Just checked and as far as the IOC is concerned it is the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic team. TeamGB is a branding name used by the British Olympic Committee. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Hang on a minute Brains!

Yes gentle reader, then the penny dropped:  Cut off the 8 pin plug and hard wire onto loco as orignally intended.

Doh!

No, I would find an 8-pin socket  because when you have to replace the decoder, it will be a heck of a lot easier. I suspect that the vendor of the decoder can also supply the socket. Note that any added expense  will be far outweighed by the savings in time, effort, and xxxx when replacing said decoder. experientia docet

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

No. Just checked and as far as the IOC is concerned it is the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic team. TeamGB is a branding name used by the British Olympic Committee. 

And yet the IOC permit Northern Irish athletes to compete for RoI.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Assuming all times are local, it took a day plus 8 hours, 43 minutes to get from Redding to Chester. A minimum of five of those hours would be needed for flying, and assuming the 'plane went to Charlotte, another hour on the road.

That's pretty impressive. The USPS is capable of amazing things. Long may it do so.

Apparently the tracking was not done at one or more intermediate locations, especially Charlotte, NC as you mentioned. Some thoughts on that: one, the package was put in a postal container (I do not remember the PO's name for them) so was not tracked until it arrived at Chester. The container itself may have made a transfer or two on the way; Redding to San Francisco then SF to Charlotte. Hmmm, I just looked up Redding on the map, 160 miles north of Sacramento; now I wish that the tracking had been more complete.

Anyway, I agree, the USPS is far better than the competition; and usually, a little less expensive, to boot.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

And yet the IOC permit Northern Irish athletes to compete for RoI.

One of my friends represented Northern Ireland (fencing) at international level and he was from Leicester. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Excuse me!  Yorkshire is a free Independent State..(at  least the Yorkies think it is!) :jester:

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

Keel, Sanded, time to dig out the foam tomorrow. 

Expedition round the south side of garage,  required the use of loppers and a chainsaw on a stick,  no lions or hippos were found in the jungle. 

The chainsaw on a stick was also required  to cut the main stem of the Ivy,  about 4 inches across... 

Then onto garage roof, now down to the last 4ft, however it's the other end of the 4inch thick stem.. It may take some time. 

As  I lay back on the scaffolding board trying to straighten my back,  I noticed a jet aircraft flying over head, comparatively low,  as I could see the twin jet quite clearly. 

Pink pills,  a cheese and pickled onion sarnie, supported by a Muggacoffee  have been consumed.  Eyelid inspection imminent... 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

No, I would find an 8-pin socket  because when you have to replace the decoder, it will be a heck of a lot easier. I suspect that the vendor of the decoder can also supply the socket. Note that any added expense  will be far outweighed by the savings in time, effort, and xxxx when replacing said decoder. experientia docet

Having lifted the lid on my loco I find that all the wires are 'neatly' led back to a large PCB onto which there is a terminal block complete with screws!

I will use my RC cable crimping tool to put a solid tail on each wire then connect them as appropriate.  

I will remember to ensure the motor is not fed direct from the wheels!

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2