The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

29 minutes ago, AndyID said:

There's so little passenger traffic at the moment that the freight carriers have the skies to themselves. I was quite surprised to actually see a contrail yesterday. It looked like a 747 - probably freight heading for SEA/TAC.

Here too, this was 9am this morning - usually the  peak time for commuter and regional flights especially..

flights.jpg.3a4b7fbf840bff9638a5b4f4d5ed11fe.jpg

• Like 15

36 minutes ago, Barry O said:

"Cry 'God for Harry,England and St George' "...seems Shakespeare was a fan of St George.

Or at least put nice jingoistic, nationalistic language in the mouth of 'his' Henry V to please audiences in the later days of ER-I.

According to his critics Shakespeare's Henry V equivocates on war, starting with the heroic "Once more unto the breach" (Act III, Scene I) , resulting in parley in Scene II, then, still before Harfleur (Act III Scene III), where he threatens the inhabitants of Harfleur with the tragedy of war:

And the flesh'd soldier, rough and hard of heart, 

In liberty of bloody hand shall range 

With conscience wide as hell, mowing like grass 

Your fresh-fair virgins and your flowering infants.

What is't to me, when you yourselves are cause,

If your pure maidens fall into the hand 

Of hot and forcing violation? 

What rein can hold licentious wickedness 

When down the hill he holds his fierce career?

But glorifies war in the St. Crispin's day speech.

Apparently Shakespeare mentions St. George 18 times - 16 in the histories. A couple of years ago an article (thanks Google) highlighted this reference in a comedy:

He's there in the early, and relatively obsure, Love's Labour's Lost, when the noble lord Berowne heckles a play that's being put on for the Princess of France, saying that one of the actors, Holofernes the schoolmaster, has a face like "Saint George's half-cheek in a brooch". Ouch.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16
  • Funny 1

Morning all, sad to report very broken sleep last night.

Anyhow, that's now history. Time to approach the day.

Have to go to 'proper' office today primarily to print some docs, one of which is 200+ sides; I don't know about others but I do not like, nay find it almost impossible, reviewing large docs on a pc screen.

Currently drinking tea, watching Doggo curled up in his bed and obviously dreaming and just about to check in on prospects for weather.

Stay safe, stay well and make the best of the day.

As an aside, I wonder how many Irish folk will be celebrating St.George's Day and if it's more than the number of Manchester United fans who actually live in Manchester ( I understand that to be some sort of irony; I don't understand the concept of football) :mosking:

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

What Jamie has failed to mention, is at the rescheduled trial, that charming lady chairman of the bench, was equally charming as she ordered the defendant to receive 100 lashes after being found guilty of wearing a loud check shirt.

Reminds me of the Not The 9 O'Clock News "Constable Savage" sketch....

(Coughing without due care and attention is relevant today...………..)

Note: This is from 1980...…...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. FYI St. George was Turkish and probably hadn't even heard of England if indeed it had existed in his time. GDB, I found that using a stick helped my hip problem being able to take the weight off of the hip. Even better is the walker as it has a seat so that I can take a rest whenever I like, and it keeps you fit IMHO. Now to do battle with Farcebook, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
grammer
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

Thanks for the reminder Chris, of all the 4 countries 8n Great Britain we celebrate our patron saint the least.

Has Rutland declared independence again? Great Britain has three countries. Never sure why the Olympic team is TeamGB rather than TeamUK.

• Like 7
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 3