The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

This idea of not using the middle seat is just stupid tokenism. One will still be well within 2 metres of passengers in front and behind. And the way that air is recirculated in an aircraft probably means that you could be infected by someone at the other end of the plane.

The dreaded middle seat has always been a source of contention.  Nobody wants to sit there where one might get squashed by over weight seatmates.  Hard to get in out of especially if one has to visit the loo often.  On the other hand, not so bad if two attractive ladies are on each side.;)

Brian.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Oops, nearly gorfot, this is where I'm at. A long way to go yet.

IMG_4174.JPG.c6e0efbbfe26e99b19a3c01e2445c4a1.JPG

How many warehouses of plasters, bandages, ointments, salves and painkillers were emptied in the construction of this so far?

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Before that however "we" have decided that we should go for a walk because of the lack of exercise we are getting. I have been banging on about this for about 3 weeks but "somebody" didn't want to go out because the first time we tried it someone walked too close to Herself although they were about 6 feet away. Let's hope today's walk  goes better.

Have a good one,

Bob.

I hoped you kept your distance this time......

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

How many warehouses of plasters, bandages, ointments, salves and painkillers were emptied in the construction of this so far?

I was thinking 'spot the first aid box'. However it might have been all used up:keeporder:

It does concern me when using power tools to try and be careful epsecially when I was using the power saw today to cut logs. I should have got a chain saw but that really is a scary piece of kit that I didnt want to be using

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

The big issue here in the UK is that only those tested positive and die in hospital are counted as Covid 19 deaths. Anyone in care homes or anywhere else isn't counted even if they did die of the virus.

The day to day numbers are based on deaths in Hospital. The ONS do provide the total number of deaths per day. BUT this depends on the outcomes of post mortems so there is a lag in the figures.

Ozexpatriate.. it would appear that while their are a number of people who have died in Care Homes the numbers are not as high as you seem to surmise they are. 

Baz

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Not the best of days. A number of things have just not worked correctly. Our house work now awaits some items to be delivered..at some time this week. This is OK in the current circumstances but the impact on us "lock in for lockdown"  is a bit of a concern. Hopefully all will work out OK>

TTFN

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ozexpatriate.. it would appear that while their are a number of people who have died in Care Homes the numbers are not as high as you seem to surmise they are. 

My sister runs a care home.

No C19 reported there, yet the residents still expire.

• Friendly/supportive 18

Evening All,

steady day at work. Went into town at lunchtime and came home with current edition of RM. Back been killing me all day. Usually it’s bad for first hour then eases up but not today. Having an early night as I think sleep will be at a premium tonight.  
Night,

Robert

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

11 minutes ago, Barry O said:

The day to day numbers are based on deaths in Hospital. The ONS do provide the total number of deaths per day. BUT this depends on the outcomes of post mortems so there is a lag in the figures.

Baz

According to BBC website Public Health England say 9 out 10 deaths due to Covid-19 have occurred in hospital. So approximately 1500 deaths have occurred in the community.

Robert

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

38 minutes ago, Barry O said:

while their are a number of people who have died in Care Homes the numbers are not as high as you seem to surmise they are

Baz, I haven't surmised anything about deaths in UK care homes. They have been hard hit in the US, but I made no claims about nursing care deaths the UK.

If anything your feedback (which I trust) consistently suggests that I under-counted the total in yesterday's post. (The numbers are constantly changing and since they are cumulative, have no where to go but up.)

In the US, a substantial number of people in nursing homes, once they exhibit serious COVID-19 symptoms get transferred to hospitals. Some recover and some don't. The first big cluster of cases in Washington (State) was in a nursing home. An April 2 report stated that 37 people linked to that single home died. They didn't necessarily die in the home. I don't know what the final total was.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Not sure how they get that one..although Public Health England do come across as a bit "fiefdom"ish..

Baz

I think it was reported last week that the ONS are now doing a weekly trawl of all death certificates for the previous week and counting any that mention Covid-19. These are then aggregated into the hospital figures IIRC on a Tuesday.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

What was strange about the Tintagel incident was that the pilot had pointed the aircraft away from land before he fired the ejector seat but it managed a 180 degree turn. Of course the loss off the weight of the pilot and the bang seat almost certainly unbalanced the aircraft.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

30 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Anyone in need of a few pounds of spuds?

Yes please! :)

MrsID got a pack of toilet rolls in Costco last week. If anyone is really desperate  we might be able to spare a few.........pieces.

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

<<<<< That person overlooked something a week or two back.  

I ordered some fruit, veg and fresh meat which duly arrived and was rather good.  Today another delivery turned up.  I wasn't expecting it.  I checked the order page and found I had failed to "uncheck" the box which defaults to "Weekly" 

D'oh!  :huh:

Anyone in need of a few pounds of spuds?  We can manage the rest.  

A few years back a friend routinely shopped on line and was rather shocked to find her delivery included 24 x 4pt containers of semi-skimmed milk - she had simply not cleared down the 2 when increasing the order to 4 and the shop had not dared to question it - which knowing her much better, I too would not have done! :o

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Yes please! :)

MrsID got a pack of toilet rolls in Costco last week. If anyone is really desperate  we might be able to spare a few.........pieces.

Ars long ass they have not had their efficacy tested, I'll give you my address :D

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

What was strange about the Tintagel incident was that the pilot had pointed the aircraft away from land before he fired the ejector seat but it managed a 180 degree turn. Of course the loss off the weight of the pilot and the bang seat almost certainly unbalanced the aircraft.

A similar thing happened in 1967 when a friend of mine ejected from a Gnat when we were doing our advanced flying training at Valley. There had been a total longitudinal control failure and when he and the instructor jumped out the aircraft was fully stalled and heading out to sea but after they ejected it went into a series of stalls in a descending turn and eventually crashed in the shallow water just off Rhosneigr beach. It impacted immediately after a stall and went into the water flat so remained in one piece and was only half submerged. It was summer and the beach was crowded so  not only was it amazing that no-one was hurt but by the time the crash crews got to the site the aircraft was being stripped of parts by holidaymakers!

Dave

• Informative/Useful 16
  • Funny 2

51 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I checked the order page and found I had failed to "uncheck" the box which defaults to "Weekly" 

1 minute ago, Kingzance said:

A few years back a friend ... had simply not cleared down the 2 when increasing the order to 4

I've accidentally ordered two identical model locomotives where I only wanted one. The supplier was kind enough to accept a return, though reasonably, the return post was at my expense.

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

How about this one? The first 'Broken Arrow' i.e. loss of a nuclear weapon, occurred over British Columbia Here is a quote from a description of the incident:

"According to the Second Engineer, Lt. Poole, the crew jumped from the plane when it was flying at approximately 3,000ft. But after a flight of 200 miles the plane hit the mountain at the 6,000ft level. Before the crew jumped, the aircraft was put on auto pilot to fly southwest. Why was the plane flying inland in a northeast direction?"

Here' s a link to the full description:   http://www.user.dccnet.com/welcomewoods/Nuclear_Free_Georgia_Strait/b_arrow1.html

And a rough map of the incident: https://images.app.goo.gl/bce3aywhBDCeQsyC7

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8