The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

I would hope that the whining bearded owner of the Virgin Empire is unsuccessful in his pleas for government loans from his luxurious isolation on his offshore tax haven when other businesses in the UK are under such threats - businesses that don’t avoid taxes and believe in this country and it’s people! I think he should be contacted by HMG and told two words, the second being off, but the again, no doubt he will offer free first class travel to get the decision in his favour.

The downside would be (a) an awful lot of people out of work, and (b) the loss of a significant airline, meaning less competition for the others (such as BA) and therefore a real risk of higher prices.  Also, and if the idea of keeping middle seats on airlines empty goes ahead and is around for some time then it's easy to see that prices for the remaining seats are likely to increase significantly.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, polybear said:

The downside would be (a) an awful lot of people out of work, and (b) the loss of a significant airline, meaning less competition for the others (such as BA) and therefore a real risk of higher prices.  Also, and if the idea of keeping middle seats on airlines empty goes ahead and is around for some time then it's easy to see that prices for the remaining seats are likely to increase significantly.

No doubt that there could be some redundancies as a result and prices could rise but I will stress the “could” in that. What is certain however is that the growth in airline travel has been exponential since the start of this millennium, creating an exponential rise in pollution from it too.

In my mind there will be some sort of reset once Covid-19 is under control and that may well mean we collectively are unwilling to accept the levels of pollution that became the norm up to the end of last year. Air travel is only part of that I know and air freight makes a significant contribution although Beardy’s outfits don’t have a main freight arm as far as I know. The majority of the generation in which I grew up didn’t seem to have as much free (holiday) time or apparently so much money they could take multiple holidays as seems to be the norm these days and pollution levels were certainly less.

Certainly easy, wide scale and rapid transport, as provided by air, will have had a part in spreading this disease from its start in China.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Ploughing through Farcebook I came across this.>>

http://www.thisisnorthcornwall.com/hunter-aircraft-crash.html?fbclid=IwAR30uf20VfTfxGkf_7QeYmK0JiokTSrgDe6MaVyKB0KNFxUQOtgyOFDpKUw

I think Dave might possibly recall hearing of the incident. Fortunately there were no deaths or injuries as a result even though one chap was up a ladder against the side of one of the buildings struck by the aircraft. The same probably could not be said about his underwear though.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

:O :O:O

Not just water-boiling locomotions but GREEN ones!!!

On the other hand 

1 minute ago, grandadbob said:

celebrating with a pint of Tribute.

is hard to argue with.  Cheers :danced:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

5 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Been in the shed setting up a new Pc that is now generally working as required with just working out how to get it to talk with the network storage. 

Ah yes NAS - as in "Not Attached Storage". The one we have was made by a well known disk drive manufacturer that starts with "S" which is appropriate because it is a piece of s***.

The latest insult is that it is impossible to manage it under Windows10. In fact their support page warns you to NEVER press the reset button on the thing. If you do it's sayonara.

I think I'll admit defeat and just buy an external SSD with a USB connector. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

9 hours ago, AndrewC said:

The stats around the per capita deaths in the UK is highly skewed as the testing is not spread evenly through the population.

Per capita excess deaths don't involve testing - other than for the people who have died. It is simply people who died with / because of COVID-19 divided by the population. Nothing to do with testing the whole population, or meaningful samples thereof.

Confirmed case data is indeed meaningless because of the testing problem you highlight.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Oops, nearly gorfot, this is where I'm at. A long way to go yet.

IMG_4174.JPG.c6e0efbbfe26e99b19a3c01e2445c4a1.JPG

Nice!

BTW it looks like that last coach is about to come a cropper on the facing crossover.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, polybear said:

This idea of not using the middle seat is just stupid tokenism. One will still be well within 2 metres of passengers in front and behind. And the way that air is recirculated in an aircraft probably means that you could be infected by someone at the other end of the plane.

• Agree 10

3 hours ago, Kingzance said:

No doubt that there could be some redundancies as a result and prices could rise but I will stress the “could” in that. What is certain however is that the growth in airline travel has been exponential since the start of this millennium, creating an exponential rise in pollution from it too.

In my mind there will be some sort of reset once Covid-19 is under control and that may well mean we collectively are unwilling to accept the levels of pollution that became the norm up to the end of last year. Air travel is only part of that I know and air freight makes a significant contribution although Beardy’s outfits don’t have a main freight arm as far as I know. The majority of the generation in which I grew up didn’t seem to have as much free (holiday) time or apparently so much money they could take multiple holidays as seems to be the norm these days and pollution levels were certainly less.

Certainly easy, wide scale and rapid transport, as provided by air, will have had a part in spreading this disease from its start in China.

The "pre virus" model cannot be sustained indefinitely. It was only a matter of time before it went twang. It just went twang a lot sooner than anyone expected.

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

5 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

This idea of not using the middle seat is just stupid tokenism. One will still be well within 2 metres of passengers in front and behind. And the way that air is recirculated in an aircraft probably means that you could be infected by someone at the other end of the plane.

I understand that the air filtration system in aircraft is considerably better than your typical supermarket. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Ah yes NAS - as in "Not Attached Storage". The one we have was made by a well known disk drive manufacturer that starts with "S" which is appropriate because it is a piece of s***.

The latest insult is that it is impossible to manage it under Windows10. In fact their support page warns you to NEVER press the reset button on the thing. If you do it's sayonara.

I think I'll admit defeat and just buy an external SSD with a USB connector. 

Ours works fine with anything but Win10 pro. its probably just me not used to Win 10 pro as this is only my 2nd pc with it on. WIn 10 home is fine. Its not really needed but  nice to have it connected just incase.

21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Per capita excess deaths don't involve testing - other than for the people who have died. It is simply people who died with / because of COVID-19 divided by the population. Nothing to do with testing the whole population, or meaningful samples thereof.

Confirmed case data is indeed meaningless because of the testing problem you highlight.

The big issue here in the UK is that only those tested positive and die in hospital are counted as Covid 19 deaths. Anyone in care homes or anywhere else isn't counted even if they did die of the virus.

Just eaten a non essential item - Easter egg but it was purchased at the time of buying essential items so its legit. Tomorrow I am going to buy plants and compost but it is allowable as I will be getting eggs etc for Mum.  Sainsburys only had one pack of broken eggs left.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

47 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

The big issue here in the UK is that only those tested positive and die in hospital are counted as Covid 19 deaths. Anyone in care homes or anywhere else isn't counted even if they did die of the virus.

Thanks Ian. Baz made that point as well.

21 hours ago, Barry O said:

Interesting enough the figure quoted for the uk are for hospitals alone. The ONS do provide data on total deaths but they are not sure about the exact figures.

Counting people whose deaths were accelerated by COVID-19 in care homes, will only make the numbers go up.

They are counted in the US data and represent a significant percentage - reportedly 25% in New York.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 8

35 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Ours works fine with anything but Win10 pro. its probably just me not used to Win 10 pro as this is only my 2nd pc with it on. WIn 10 home is fine. 

But will it still work with Windows12?

I'll probably keep using ours as a media server. We can access all our photos and music from every device including the TVs. But in future we won't depend on it for data archival.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Kingzance said:

I find it even more easy to get wound up in the present climate, ...

I know how you feel as is probably obvious from my posts lately.

I am lucky that I usually sleep well, though occasionally I don't. Last night was one of those nights and I woke up around 4:00am dreaming intensely after about three hours sleep. I'm feeling an unattributed high baseline of anxiety today and am not sure why.

It is otherwise a beautiful day - very sunny and headed towards about 20°C. We had a little rain on Saturday morning. more is forecast for Wednesday. We need it, lest we have one of our driest Aprils on record.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10