The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I was listening to the radio over the weekend and I heard an expert say that it may not be possible to produce a vaccine. No vaccine has yet been developed against the HIV virus. I think he/she said they have never produced a vaccine against a Corona virus yet. I hope I’m (they’re) wrong. Anyway off to work.

Regards Robert

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the sky is blue. I’ve just finished breakfast so I’ll be setting off to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix in a few minutes. Once back and the shopping has been packed away I may well head downstairs and continue working on the towel rail. Other than that there are no other plans for today, but that could well change. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Oops, it seems like I’m repeating myself. 

I SAID, IT SEEMS LIKE IM REPEATING MYSELF!

Edited by BSW01
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I personally think any notion of COVID-19 herd immunity anywhere is moot until a vaccine is available. The concept of herd immunity is only relevant when you can guarantee that high 90s percent of the population is immune and the only way to do that is through vaccines. (With the apparent contagiousness of COVID-19, the vaccination rates for herd immunity will be exceptionally high.) With the lethality of COVID-19 for a small percentage of cases, you can't intentionally expose any amount of the population.

Measles was essentially eradicated in the US. Due to the anti-vaxxer movement, vaccination rates had dropped and in 2019 the US had a pretty substantial measles outbreak - the largest number of cases since 1992. we had lost herd immunity for measles.

We don't know that yet. It could be that widespread immunity could be achieved without vaccine. But we won't know that until there is adequate testing. Testing is definitely deliverable in a reasonably short timeframe. A vaccine may or may not be deliverable with a timeframe of about a year.

Both are necessary but testing needs to be given more priority.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Moaning all from the sunny yet boring borough. A very relaxing weekend but nothing accomplished again. 

The stats around the per capita deaths in the UK is highly skewed as the testing is not spread evenly through the population. In the UK they aren't testing minor symptomatic individuals but only ones admitted. That means only the more serious cases are in the statistical population. Ergo, a higher death rate. 

Little else of note. Coffee at the ready. Daily status meeting starting to drain my will to live. 

Enjoy the day.  

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny here this morning but chilly if the way in which the dog walkers are wrapped up is anything to go by. It doesn't seem to affect the bees as they're swarming over my california lilac now that the sun is on it. Now to get on with the rest of the day.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/04/2020 at 08:58, southern42 said:

I was warned in one email (the seller) that not only were there delays at their end but also delays could be expected by the delivery service.  ParcelForce and Royal Mail both have current advice on their websites.  I expect other delivery services have the same.  It just seems to take a long time...when you are waiting at home without going anywhere to distract your attention away from it.

Hope your stuff comes soon.  One of mine has reached the delivery depot!

_______

Best wishes

Polly

One parcel delivered Saturday to Sis.  :yes:

My parcel should be here late afternoon - Parcel Force Express 24:

1  Despatched  2 Collection depot 3 Hub 4 In delivery depot

5 Out for delivery 6 Delivered

Item tracking history - 5 days (4 working days!)

Date            Time          Location.           Tracking Event

20 4 2020   Today                                    Arriving late afternoon

20 4 2020   9.15ish.     Home                Phone msg

18 4 2020   5:06          Deeside Depot   Received at delivery depot

17 4 2020   20:43        North West         Sorted

16 4 2020   18:57        Gatwick Depot   On route to hub

16 4 2020   16:34        Gatwick Depot   Collected

Order - 3 days

16 4 2020 Hobgoblin Dispatched

14 4 2020 12:01 Hobgoblin Ordered

In these times, I am delighted we can get this service at all!

....[Snip] Food shopping idea cancelled.

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie still at it.

Keep safe everyone.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from a bright but cool NEHerts,

Final editing of the Waitrose OnLine List is the most important matter to be addressed this morning. That will be followed by prescription collection and any other random thoughts that become orders from her bossiness. 

Last night’s shoulder of pork was enjoyed but with roast spuds, broccoli, carrots and parsnips I have subsequently found that my weight loss plan has done in inverse what HMG wish the see happen with the Covid-19 curve. Portion control again!

Talking of that dreaded virus, there was a piece by a Times writer today that made a lot of sense - even if I generally disagree with the content of her contributions. In it she pointed out that our civil liberties champions will actually obstruct any reasonable actions to identify those who have had, those who are immune and those who are at a consequential risk. Their “protection of our freedoms” will keep us all in danger whilst the secondary benefits of biometric id far outweigh the much protested intrusions. Along with various contributors on here, I do wonder how testing can be useful if it is anonymous and how valid comparisons can be if only based upon those in hospital? The very same people who clamour for more testing yet complain about loss of liberty will almost invariably tick the online box allowing their data to be harvested by our tax-avoiding global IT companies when visiting a new web site.

Must go, lists to edit. C u later...

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Actually, if you agree with the data, we do. Everything else is simply conjecture.

I don't disagree with the data that we have. Data is data (a given). The problem in this case is that the data that we have is swamped in volume by the data that we don't have and won't have until we have a proper testing programme.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I don't disagree with the data that we have. Data is data (a given). The problem in this case is that the data that we have is swamped in volume by the data that we don't have and won't have until we have a proper testing programme.

And how the data is used / abused to support one view or another!

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

In response to the expressed fears that Cornwall may remain closed through the holiday season or pubs may not be allowed to open until Christmas, I remind you that this is just conjecture although as previously posted the cynical may think that a government could leak such ideas to create an outcry and then offer something less draconian that the masses would then think is good.

I would hope that the whining bearded owner of the Virgin Empire is unsuccessful in his pleas for government loans from his luxurious isolation on his offshore tax haven when other businesses in the UK are under such threats - businesses that don’t avoid taxes and believe in this country and it’s people! I think he should be contacted by HMG and told two words, the second being off, but the again, no doubt he will offer free first class travel to get the decision in his favour.

I find it even more easy to get wound up in the present climate, as you can read!

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

I would hope that the whining bearded owner of the Virgin Empire is unsuccessful in his pleas for government loans from his luxurious isolation on his offshore tax haven when other businesses in the UK are under such threats - businesses that don’t avoid taxes and believe in this country and it’s people! I think he should be contacted by HMG and told two words, the second being off, but the again, no doubt he will offer free first class travel to get the decision in his favour.

More than likely he will head to the courts as he did against the NHS when he lost the contract bid. I'm shocked he didn't go begging to the country where his company is based and pays its taxes. Oops. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

There is talk of pubs not reopening till xmas. If that is the case then I cant see many being around to reopen. The news mentioned that Cornwall could lose 80% of its businesses if it cant reopen in time for Summer holidays.

The biggest problem here is the uncertainty. If we knew that there was no prospect of opening until Xmas, we could plan accordingly and many could find ways to "mothball" the business until then. I am more concerned in that scenario for many of the small breweries who have made major investment in brewing capacity.

What we certainly can not do is reopen for a period and then have another shutdown.

• Friendly/supportive 16

Greetings all from Sidcup where it is sunny out and the breeze is increasingly fresh. The start of another working week brings  little in the way of excitement although the  boys have "gone back to school". in other words they both have work on google classroom to deal with. Mrs Lurker is back on the rota at school but does not have to attend until next week.

• Friendly/supportive 17