The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Where did the day go? I've done very little of nothing today. A few thoughts on the idiots protesting against the lockdown in the USA. They appear to be Trump supporters so I wonder if many of them go down with the coronavirus and therefore with many of them possibly dead or on a ventilator could it affect the outcome of the presidential election?

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They appear to be Trump supporters so I wonder if many of them go down with the coronavirus ...

Some will ...

... therefore with many of them possibly dead or on a ventilator ...

Only a small percentage ... (fortunately for their families and loved ones)

... could it affect the outcome of the presidential election?

Numerically, no. Whether the electorate can remember with clarity and objectivity how the administration handled this pandemic, 198 days from now is a fascinating question. There is always an "October surprise" to distract people.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

19 minutes ago, newbryford said:

A phone call at 4.50pm from a customer who had sent in an email at 12.45pm (and received an automatic "it may take longer than usual" reply), followed it up with a post on our FB page, before eventually ringing our phoneline. That takes him through a couple of "is it urgent?" messages.

It took a few minutes to find out what problem he was having and I did say that I wouldn't be able to deal with it properly until I WFW on Tuesday. Then he said "it's not urgent, but where do we go from here?"

CUNTCON2 was invoked.

"but my mate down the club..." Sorry, operation to have tongue surgically removed from cheek booked!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

... we probably would then end up as an overall community with no herd immunity and thus become perhaps  the most vulnerable country

I personally think any notion of COVID-19 herd immunity anywhere is moot until a vaccine is available. The concept of herd immunity is only relevant when you can guarantee that high 90s percent of the population is immune and the only way to do that is through vaccines. (With the apparent contagiousness of COVID-19, the vaccination rates for herd immunity will be exceptionally high.) With the lethality of COVID-19 for a small percentage of cases, you can't intentionally expose any amount of the population.

Measles was essentially eradicated in the US. Due to the anti-vaxxer movement, vaccination rates had dropped and in 2019 the US had a pretty substantial measles outbreak - the largest number of cases since 1992. we had lost herd immunity for measles.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

The Office for National Statistics give daily updates. Some of the data they produce could be used by John to generate loads of graphs, pie charts etc..

Baz

I do. I'll leave others to do that stuff on coronavirus as I have other priorities

My power calculation charts are from material that doesn't reach the ONS site on a daily basis. The material I use is updated every five minutes and looks at both sources and consumption.

[EDIT] I also use the ONS guidelines, and the answer to one of my assessment questions currently is the charts I produced last week for the power consumption blog, which massages Excel charts to the nearest ONS needs. I've given them the data and the PNG of the results and say - produce that.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, AndyID said:

I'm surprised it didn't fall to bits :)

Oops that should be per minute , and at Max frequency it was only a short scan. 

Basically it was the full scan up and down till you found the target,  then as you acquired the target the scan range reduced as the scan rate went up. 

It was done with hydraulic motors..  And renown for dripping, sometimes showering oil everywhere. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, pH said:

Was that intentional? Because, from what you've said about where you grew up, I think you may know the meaning of 'mow' in Scots:

https://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/mow_v1_n1

No it wasn't,  but given the age of the family involved it's probably correct.. 

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

Morning all.

Another day at the (home) office; best get to it....

@MickNB,

It's very subtle, but it gives me great satisfaction; my sign off for work emails varies based on the level of f**kwittery the originator had demonstrated. So a perfectly reasonable email will get a 'Regards' exceptionally pleasant ones a sign off greeting and 'Best Regards'; through Thanks, Thank You and absolutely nothing before my name and corporate details.

Best part is, AFAIK no-one has put together a pattern yet; well they wouldn't would they - that would amount to a recognition of the previously demonstrated f**kwittery :D

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

5 hours + 2 hours a pretty good sleep. 

Porridge flavour today... Whisky,  I'm not driving and have no intention of using power tools.. 

To go with the whisky I may plant some Heather..  2mm scale. 

Having used the flappy wheel thing two days running, my fingers and hand are really complaining. So today will be long board sanding,  actually not to long a board as the keel is only 4 ft long. 

Other than the keel, I'm begining to have thoughts of restarting work on the boat itself, as its getting warm enough.. 

Ben the alarm clock Collie switched it on this morning and dead on 06:00 stirred from his bed to give me the stare.. 

A chilly wind, north easterly , at 9C cloudless sky.  Partridges just outside the back door today,  But Ben got the scent of something else, I suspect deer came up to the house overnight. 

With the rain we have bluebells,  they obviously needed some water.. 

Time to do not a lot for an hour or so.. 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Oops that should be per minute

I suspected that was the case but the vision of that lot oscillating at 60Hz was much too entertaining.

The great thing about ERs is the huge range expertise that it covers. Things that don't seem quite right tend to get stunned PDQ.

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

That’s the problem, without a standardised testing regimen, applied equally across countries, we won’t get a good picture of infection rates and resulting mortality (defining cause of death is another can of worms: every country, if not municipality, has its own criteria. e.g. Mr Smith has Stage IV lung cancer and contracts COVID-19 and in a week he is dead. So what killed him? Malignancy or virus?)

You’ve just highlighted something that gets overlooked in the present (hysterical???) climate: there are other diseases and illnesses out there equally, if not more, lethal but somehow haven’t caused governments (and the media) to push the panic button.

I suspect that the reason COVID-19 is of so much concern is that it is highly contagious, rapid in onset and highly lethal in vulnerable populations which taken all together create the “perfect storm” that can (and has) overwhelmed the health services of any country.

Sadly, Mark Twain’s comment on statistics - which IIRC referred to how politicos manipulate the numbers to their own advantage - has been twisted into a popular distrust of statistics. As a branch of mathematics, statistical analysis is a rigorous and demanding methodology, but sloppy application and a general lack of numeracy has given stats a bad reputation (correctly applied, you actually can’t “prove anything” with statistics) not helped by politicos and pundits.

Your comment about comparing all-cause mortality for Q1 2020 to all-cause mortality for Q1 2019 is an interesting one. I’ve read that preliminary comparisons (we obviously don’t have all the Q1 2020 data yet) suggest that although the Q1 2020 are higher, as would be expected, they are not so much higher than Q1 2019 (but as I said data for this year is incomplete).

I really get annoyed by the “non-science/anti-science advocates” with a special deep loathing reserved for the anti-vaxxers. Clearly these people are both unable and unwilling to learn even a minimum about the science and history behind vaccinations. Have they even the remotest idea about the lethality of measles, mumps or diphtheria? Before widespread vaccinations, mortality due to infectious diseases was at COVID-19 levels, if not higher, and on a yearly basis!

When they do come up with a vaccine (it’s merely a question of time - although vaccine development can be lengthy) I wonder how many of the anti-vaxxers will refuse a coronavirus vaccine and which clueless “celeb” will campaign against immunisation?

Yup! 100% correct IMHO for what it's worth, which ain't much around here.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1