The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

55 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Mowing?  The second nearest neighbour is mowing again,  3 times a week since this started.. He really is bored. 

Was that intentional? Because, from what you've said about where you grew up, I think you may know the meaning of 'mow' in Scots:

https://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/mow_v1_n1

Edited by pH
  • Funny 15

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

I'm not too sure about ironed cow either

Then it's time to enjoy a 'flat iron steak' sir. ;)

EDIT:

I see Tony has beaten me to it.

When catching up on a day's worth of ERs I tend to forget which posts I wanted to respond to. If I do respond inevitably someone has pipped me at the post.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

A productive weekend working on the unmenationable scale model. 

Sweet peas have been popped in to the border. Hard work digging over the ground though. Still getting out of breath very quickly.

Warm wishes to all. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

On 19/04/2020 at 06:06, Tony_S said:

People seem to be live streaming home based events now. Perhaps you could have a 24 hour slot car race on Zoom (other platforms are etc...)

Tony

Here our premier motor racing series, the V8 Supercars has been postponed this year for the usual reason. It has been replaced by an eseries where the drivers compete in a virtual series against each other. This adds the novelty  of the races being held on any track in the world, and also means that the drivers who have spent more time on their playstations  have the possibility of actually finally beating the better real world drivers.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

Ian,

That’s an amazing, funny, but sadly too true, assessment of the situation in the US.

I sadly suspect that blind adherence to a partisan ideology will prevent many states from doing the right thing until it is too late.

Whilst there is debate about the true mortality rate of COVID-19, emerging data suggest that overall mortality is far less than feared (a recent study from California which tested for antibodies in a very large sample of Californians showed a hell of a lot more infected than the “official” figures, which in turn means lower mortality [deaths/infected x 100]) nonetheless the fact that the coronavirus is highly contagious and easily spread between people means that even if only a small percentage of  the population become seriously ill of whom many die, that’s one hell of a lot of people (as the YouTube video quite rightly points out) and which health service or health system anywhere has hundreds of thousands of critical care beds for such patients? 
if this medical stupidity and willingness to discard or ignore the science is allowed to go unaddressed, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a return of the plague pits and the “bring out your dead“ carts.

Evolution in action, boys and girls, evolution in action!

iD

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

They generally conflate such events with the resurrection of the Confederate Flag and pontificate on the "rights' afforded them by the much mis-interpreted/mis-understood second amendment. None of which ever really makes any sense.

They also  love spouting about how we Australians got our guns taken off us by the guvmint and we are thus now helpless and scared and at the mercy of bad folks.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

Americans (and the British perspective).

British people correctly assume that (generally speaking) they know more about the US than Americans know about Britain, but that doesn't mean their perspectives are necessarily accurate any more than American stereotypes about tea drinking, "allo guv'nor" Britons are insufficient.

Like contemporary Britain, the United States is deeply divided. At heart is the transformation from white, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant hegemony to the potential for a society based on enlightenment era, 'rights of man' principles that the founders could never have imagined where WASPs are demographically not only a numeric minority but a political minority. It is all about fear - of change; of loss of identity, of loss of relevance, of loss of a sense of power. (The prohibition movement was exactly the same thing by the way.)

To understand the present politics you can draw a straight line between Ronald Reagan's famous quote on August 12, 1986:

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help".

and the current populism we've seen evolve though candidates like former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, and former Minnesota Congressional representative Michele Bachmann to the current inhabitant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

There is a quasi-religious (not actually based on any genuine theological beliefs) feel to those who want to defend the status quo of WASP hegemony. It's the same sort of thing that fueled the Confederacy. It is a heady mix of nationalism, anti-elitism, cognitive dissonance, racism (both naked and oblivious) and virulent defense of the second amendment as dogma, partly encapsulated by one of Thomas Jefferson's more unfortunate remarks:

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If you excerpt the second amendment stuff, it doesn't seem so different to some Britons I see in 'man in the street' interviews.

These people are not a majority of Americans. The current president was not elected by a majority. He has never had an approval rating >50%. Never. Not once in 3½ years. (He did get to 49%.)

These people select the news they want to watch and there are outlets that cater to them. The son of my one-time, hometown newspaper owner (Sir Keith) provides them their daily bread. Amazingly, compared to some sources his is indeed as "Fair and Balanced" (at least in the news department, as distinct from editorial/infotainment) as his network's tagline used to claim.

From other news sources we probably had as almost much coverage of Boris Johnson's stint in ICU as Britons did. Yes, US news predominates, (it's a big country with a lot going on - by population, about six times as big as the UK) but there is plenty of international coverage for those who look for it for a broader sense of perspective.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Whilst there is debate about the true mortality rate of COVID-19, emerging data suggest that overall mortality is far less than feared (a recent study from California which tested for antibodies in a very large sample of Californians showed a hell of a lot more infected than the “official” figures, which in turn means lower mortality [deaths/infected x 100]

Here we have tested 2% of the population, probably the largest percentage anywhere in the world and have 71 deaths out of 6600 cases, giving a rate of just on 1%. Still a lot more than the flu, but a lot less than Italy, UK US  and other countries without a decent testing regime are showing,

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

Lightening the mood a little. Here is a photo comparing an Oxford die cast oo Ford Anglia with an ‘HO scale slot car’ equivalent. It’s works out at 1/60 scale.54F7C88E-1D2C-4523-92C9-540D6344969F.jpeg.2c15e93a17df31007aedb724081c7277.jpegAnd for those of you who don’t know the order of the winning Ford in the 66 LeMans race here’s a clue.1D81BF5F-1A14-4E96-8C58-CF578CC02C07.jpeg.7da0c6064d0ad5d83992ab6d10d46d37.jpeg

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Here we have tested 2% of the population, probably the largest percentage anywhere in the world

That's true but it helps to have one of the world's smallest populations for a developed country. Testing is a fiasco in the west. Unless supported by rigorous random sampling schemes, no real sense of mortality rate for infected cases can be established - even based on statistical estimates. Only testing celebrities, professional athletes, politicians and people who are already sick is not a basis for a random sample.

Australia is doing well. The big moat helps too. I had a nice chat to my brother yesterday. I'm glad for Australians.

To me the only statistic that we can measure meaningfully today is excess deaths per capita. The results might surprise.

image.png.cee56176290aefcbc6d86ae4385bc659.png

By that measure the pandemic in the UK is twice as bad as the US. The US is not monolithic as some state-by-state comparisons will show:

image.png.ec24375647132e98b18d6b82b54f640c.png

It demonstrates how bad the situation in New York really is. Data for New York City is even worse.

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

The Office for National Statistics give daily updates. Some of the data they produce could be used by John to generate loads of graphs, pie charts etc..

Baz

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The towel rail is now stripped of paint, all that remains are the stubborn bits in all the joints etc, these will be tackled when I next do any work on it. The fact that all 4 legs each have a barley twist in them hasn’t helped, but it does look nicer now that awful paint has been removed. 

This evening it was the turn of my brother in Canada to ring me, we spoke for about an hour or so and as is the norm, nothing of any great importance was discussed, apart from the current CV19 situation. The situation seems to be the same as over here regarding what shops etc are open. He works in the steel industry and is working as normal, alternating between days and nights, he does 4 - 12 hour shifts, then 4 days off, then another 4 - 12 hour shifts. 

Tonight has been one of the rare occasions when the idiotboxinthecorner wasn’t switched on, a very pleasant change.

On the subject of figures, death rates etc, I’m with Mark Twain when it comes to this, as he said “there’s lies, damned lies and statistics”. Personally, I think the only way to get any sort of idea of how deadly this virus is, is to take a snapshot of the deaths for the first 3-4 months of 2019. Then a snapshot of the deaths for the same period this year and compare the 2. If there is a huge difference (which undoubtedly there will be) between the 2 sets of figures it can only mean one thing, this bl00dy awful virus. 

And on that cheery note, I’ll bid you all a goodnight. 

• Like 19