The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Not HO but there were OO slot cars.

https://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/Category:Minic_Motorways

I had a very large Minic Motorways set up with a five lane figure of eight track. Although they were supposed to be OO, in fact they were much larger being nearer to 7mm scale. 

Edited by Chris116
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

I've suggested before that one should imagine oneself in an episode of Fawlty Towers or Open all Hours when dealing with English merchants.

I was wondering if there was an equivalent show dealing with awkward customers.   Do you have the LNER Locospotters book? The expurgated one, without Gannet.

Shopped early today; wandered around the pharmacy with a mask on. We are now fairly well stocked up and I found 2 railroad magazines.

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

I was wondering if there was an equivalent show dealing with awkward customers.

Not necessarily as the focus of the whole show, but shopping with difficult customers occurs many times - Are You Being Served, lots of Python sketches Dead Parrot, Cheese Shop, Cannibal undertakers, Hungarian Phrasebook; Two Ronnies sketches or One Ronnie as the case may be. Arguably anytime Ronnie Barker did a shopkeeper sketch it had a lot in common with Open All Hours. 

(Admittedly the salesperson was often the butt of the joke in many of these sketches - rather than the customer.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17

4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Scottish bagpipes are more a weapon of war than a musical instrument. The general idea was to scare the crepe out of the opposition. Sometimes it worked.

Indeed. My cousin and her husband are members of a pipe band in Australia. The great highland bagpipe doesn't really have an "inside" voice. I do like pipe bands, outside. They are tremendously loud. Many years ago my cousin fired up her pipes in my parents back yard. Despite being familiar with pipe bands, in a quiet suburban yard it was startling, echoing off the back of the house.

As you say, there are many smaller pipes that are better suited to being inside and even in the US are reasonably common in the bands that gig in "Irish" pubs.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A solo piper played "love me tender" at a wedding I attended in a small church. It did not lend itself to the strengths of bagpipes and had more in common with cat strangulation than successfully pushing boundaries.

Google rarely disappoints.

This is (or should be) intrinsically wrong. Any tune should be playable on any instrument, including the human voice. The knack is in arranging it to suit that instrument. Like Chris F, I rather enjoy hearing music adapted in this way, often preferring it to the original.

Of course, the bagpipes may just be the exception that proves the rule.

• Like 16
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

"The Boss is now asleep but I may go and wake her out of spite"

Go on, I dare you; don't forget to let us know how it went :D

it could be the biggest GDB accident ever.......

If he can

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Sunny but windy sur le rock.  I suppose the day will be pent in the garden and garage, can't polish the bikes any more or the paint will wear through.

As for land of hope and glory, listen through this to the end....

...and he's Dutch!  Professor Ian Tracey at the end there pulling the stops, organist and head of music there.  As in it's 'his' organ and he knows how to really make it thunder.  This is the biggest such instrument in the UK.

Carpe the dimes.

• Like 16

5 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I had a very large Minic Motorways set up with a five lane figure of eight track. Although they were supposed to be OO, in fact they were much larger being nearer to 7mm scale. 

HO slot cars are now  actually 1/64 scale! Originally they supposed to the 1/87 to match model railways like Triang Minic was with Triang railways. 

Regards

Robert

• Informative/Useful 11