The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Thanks Tony,

It is better in real life. I believe the track was hand made in the USA and the boys from Derby were going to take it to LeMans for the race weekend. Sorry to be a pain but the clip called HO Le Mans 2014 gives a better impression of the event.

thanks again, 

Robert

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Pomp and Circumstance... I can remember that for one "last Night of the Proms" the then Government declared it to "jingoistic"!  Pah!!

Is Pomp and Circumstance used for baccalaureate graduation ceremonies in the UK?  It was in Australia, and continues to be in the US for University and high school matriculation (aka graduation) as well. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is Pomp and Circumstance used for baccalaureate graduation ceremonies in the UK?  It was in Australia, and continues to be in the US for University and high school matriculation (aka graduation) as well. 

Not at the ones I have been to. (Leeds University, Leeds Carnegie University and Hull University (3 times).

Baz

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In degree ceremonies there's usually music. In out University is members of te brass section of the Conservatoire, and the pieces chosen are more suited to their style. In nLeicester, De Montfort Hall where Sandy graduated in 2008 with her Masters, the organ was used played by my old choirmaster, Ian Imlay.

Don;t know of ceremonies lower than degree.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I don’t recall any music at all at my degree ceremony. I went to Aditi’s doctoral ceremony and the National Anthem was played and sung. Aditi was placed in between some very tall military chaps and clergy.  
Perhaps the US and Australian universities play the music without the added ode to the Empire words?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There was music at my degree ceremony but I'm blowed if I remember what it was.  Not Pomp and Circumstance that's for sure but probably what ever they could get on tape at the time.   I'm told things have changed a bit since 1979.  We didn't toss our mortarboards either but I gather they always do that now.  

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Thanks

Thanks Tony,

It is better in real life. I believe the track was hand made in the USA and the boys from Derby were going to take it to LeMans for the race weekend. Sorry to be a pain but the clip called HO Le Mans 2014 gives a better impression of the event.

thanks again, 

Robert

This one?

It was only recently I knew HO cars existed. In my day it was 1/32 and 1/24.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Gradually catching up with Farcebook, one group is still getting loads of applicants but it has eased off a little but the group has more than doubled in size. This was on Farcebook.>>

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Perhaps the US and Australian universities play the music without the added ode to the Empire words?

Yes, it is orchestral only - there is no "Land of Hope and Glory" sung.

Only the theme in March 1 that would be accompanied by the words is played - not the introductory part of the march.

It is often used as a processional for the teaching staff. (It was used this way at my University commencement.) It gets very tedious if it is used (on a loop) while students are handed their diplomas.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It’s been quite dull here for most of the day, we even had a little rain just before dinner, but thankfully it didn’t last long. 

Work on the towel rail has continued throughout the day, interspersed with setting up circuit diagrams to print off. The rail now about 75% of the paint removed, tomorrow should see that task finished. The next stage will be to sand it all down ready for fresh primer and paint.

Tonight, as a complete change, we had steak and chips for tea and although I say so myself, very nice it was too!

On the subject of mail orders etc, during the present lockdown period, I am/have resisted the urge to place any orders as I don’t want to place any unnecessary burden on the delivery agents, who ever they may be. I have plenty of stuff and/or things here to do and anything that I don’t have at the moment can wait until some sort of normality has resumed. If I do need to buy anything I’ll probably do a click and collect order, but to be honest, I don’t even think I’ll do that. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1