The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Ps.

Ive just got my Joy Division Cd out and going to put it my van, bit fed of just listening to the news. And to really cheer  myself up I might get out my Only Ones CDs .

Anyway, goodnight

Robert

Edited by Erichill16
Typo
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still getting a steady stream of applicants for the Farcebook group but not the numbers of the weekend.

2 hours ago, AndyB said:

Evening all. Another productive day in the garage. 

Stumbled across this - not heard of it before but think it might have appealed to some of our number! 

Giles drew a cartoon about them, I've searched but I can't find it.

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

I've seen pics of rock formations like the piece of wood illustrated.

18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Which were long ago referred to in some circles as meaning No Valid Qualification - seems there might be more than a grain of truth in that.

Just before I retired the was a notice sent round about NVQ's for dustmen!

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Which were long ago referred to in some circles as meaning No Valid Qualification - seems there might be more than a grain of truth in that.

The term I heard was No Value Qualification 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I've seen pics of rock formations like the piece of wood illustrated.

When I first saw John's piece of wood it reminded me of native asbestos - at this moment cannot remember the 'variety'

chrysotile

Edited by PeterBB
remembered
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

For those in self-isolation.

My cousin lives in Eyam, Derbyshire. This is the second time around.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/life/postcards-lockdown-derbyshire-plague-village-self-isolating/

I was last there for his wedding, not too long ago (pre-CV-19!)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

2 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Clicked on this link and got an advert for the "Cutest Bras for Older Women" with a picture of a number of rather large women sporting rather large bras and the contents therein......

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Nope, still doesn't work - even after trying the link five times:help:

I had a collection of leather top hats - which I also get here. Perfect if you want to look like Slash from Guns N' Roses. I did look at sun hats from the same site so it's not quite random.

I find that Ads by Google can be trained a bit. If you click on an online merchant and look at their wares, particularly one shown by Ads by Google, you will continue to get that ad a lot. Each page view is auctioned to the highest advertising bidder in the time it takes to load your page. Your demographics can factor. Perhaps there are many RMwebbers who privately click on this particular advertisement?

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning All,

A few random thoughts:

Peter - I’ve read that loosing a dog can be more painful, and the loss felt for much longer and more keenly than loosing a family member. I can certainly understand that.

TheQ - poor Ben really doesn’t look like a happy beastie, does he? When Lucy is not happy with me (frequently alas, I repeatedly seem to fail to live up to her expectations) she gives me what I can only call “The Dowager Duchess Look” (that disapproving, bad-smell-under-the-nose look perfected by Maggie Smith in Downtown Abbey).

All: Maybe it’s me, but I thought that Downtown Abbey started well enough but after the first season progressively became more soap opera-ish. A fate that seems to affect many series nowadays (incidentally, re DA, I read a critique of the show bemoaning the lack of historical accuracy, inasmuch as in those days the aristocracy regarded servants as we would regard a cooker or washing machine - as tools for running the household [and who amongst us cares about the emotional wellbeing of our toaster] - make of that what you will).

For me, one of the drawbacks of the lockdown is that with so much time on my hands there is no impetus to get any modelling/guitar playing/house maintenance done. Unfortunately, I find that without a deadline or - more relevantly for these days - limitations on available time, I tend to give in to the temptation to “do it tomorrow”.

Finally, regarding “Folk Music”: perhaps because of the miscreants I hung around with during my misspent teenage years, I’ve always viewed this sort of music as populated by earnest hippies in tie-dyed clothing (Bob Dylan, Peter Paul and Mary etc) or earnest bearded types in chunky hand knitted Arran sweaters (UK folkies - take your pick for an example). Having said that, I am a big fan of Steeleye Span. Maddy Prior (along with Annie Haslam of Renaissance) having one of the most amazing voices in (any sort of) popular music; better, I think, than Kate Bush (overrated? Discuss). Steeleye Span’s collaboration with the late Terry Pratchett, Wintersmith, was - I think - a very uneven effort. But where it all came together - sublime. Whilst both Maddy Prior and Annie Haslam are still singing, the YouTube videos I have seen of their recent performances show how much of their vocal range they have lost (understandably, given the effects of age) but they still manage to sing better than many of today’s - Aututune assisted - artistes.

Stay Safe, Stay Well, Stay Sane

iD

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1