The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Check out the version by June Tabor and the Oyster Band.

Chris

but don't check out Paul Young's version - it's execrable

the original is much better, but then I am a Joy Division fan, (although to be fair I discovered them after Ian Curtis' demise). Two of my cousins picked up on this, particularly one, who went on to play guitar for a band that were big enough to support Offspring on one of their UK tours.

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Managed to make it to smiffs this afternoon and acquired the April Back Track, together with three railway bookazines that caught my eye. Just as well that I wasn't shopping in Asda as the queue stretched the length of the shopping centre, around 400 metres in my estimation. I popped into Savers for loo rolls and soap but decided against going into poundland as they had a long queue. 

Edited by PhilJ W
typo
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Drama of the Day occurred preparing lunch.  Half the electrics abruptly ceased to work.  The half including kettle, toaster, microwave, cooker hood and - for good measure - the electric ignition on the gas hobs!  All was swiftly resolved by means of a furtle into the meter cupboard and re-setting the trip.  All of that lot together should have been well within its safety limit but perhaps I turned on all the high-draw items more or less together creating a surge.  

We had a similar problem a couple of evenings ago. We'd moved the electric kettle to a different plug, and were running it at the same time as the dishwasher for the first time since then, when both went off. Down to the panel, and one of the 'outside' breakers in a setting like this

https://www.google.com/search?client=tablet-android-samsung&biw=962&bih=601&ei=Z-qVXqukH4vn-gS75rzACg&q=quad+circuit+breaker+types&oq=+quad+circuit+breaker&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADICCCkyBAgAEEMyBggAEAcQHjICCAAyBAgAEB4yBggAEAUQHjIGCAAQBRAeMgYIABAFEB4yBggAEAUQHjoECAAQRzoECAAQDToGCAAQDRAeOgYIABAIEB46CAgAEAgQChAeOggIABANEAUQHlDGggFYzLkBYMHTAWgCcAF4AIABhQGIAaMJkgEDNC43mAEAoAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#imgrc=eCGmC0V6BOGesM

had tripped. 

Reset - nothing happened. Tried several more times - nothing. Checked on the internet that I was doing the right thing (I've never had one of these quad breakers trip before). It looked as if I was going to have to get an electrician in to look at it. One more try, using more force than before to get it to 'OFF' - and it worked. That could have been embarassing, getting an electrician to reset a breaker!

So we've moved the kettle back to the previous plug.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The  turntable drive I saw made used  a relay that operated a latch which engaged into a slot on a circular disc beneath the baseboard.  The latch was sprung so that he latch dropped into the slot whilst a micro switch then cut the power, whilst the latch held the turntable firmly in place.  Pressing a button energised the relay which lifted, and powered up the drive motor on the turntable.

The "ultra-crude servo" version I posted has the advantage that no locks, detents or what-have-you are required. Any tendency to move out of alignment in any direction is immediately counteracted by the motor - with extreme prejudice. You just select the desired road with the rotary switch and it homes automatically. The downside is that it's only as good as the accuracy of the contact slot and the wipers.

It's also possible to make it slow-down as it approaches the desired position. Just takes a few cuts and some diodes.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Just heard something which we, the Brits could do. A friend has become a retained fireman. He lives in North Yorkshire so did their NVQ to become a qualified fireman. He like being a fireman so applies for a full time job in a station 2 miles away. He doesn't get that - they bring a guy over from Ireland - new to being a Fireman.. what a waste. But he, meanwhile has taken it on the chin and is now training in Newcastle for 14 weeks with the Tyne and Wear Service. Why so long? well he has to do their NVQ to prove he can be a proper fireman... Bureaucracy gone nuts!

So much for it being classed as National Vocational Qualification

• Like 2
  • Agree 16

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The only poppies I've seen are growing wild in the council shrubbery on the corner, probably arising after the council contractors cut it back a few weeks ago.

The wild California poppies are in full bloom down the road. They are bright orange.

7 hours ago, petethemole said:

Ozexpatriate, those are Spanish bluebells;   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinthoides_non-scripta. I have a load exactly the same.  I had them at the old house and brought a bag of bulbs here, only to find that a lot more came up where I hadn't planted any.  At least I rescued some from the extension that our buyer had built.

Thank you Pete. 

I note the Wikipedia page says:

It has also been introduced (and can be highly invasive) into various parts of North America, in both the Pacific Northwest (British Columbia, Washington and Oregon) ...

(My emphasis.) I have noticed that behaviour. They have managed to climb up from the rubble drain at the bottom of the garden to the level surface of the back yard. They're pretty and I haven't tried to eradicate them but they are aggressive colonizers.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The Midland loco on the turntable has no connecting rod - hit by the naughty one?

It's just as well some geezer dumped all those timbers in the pit otherwise it could have been a lot worse ;)

• Funny 18

48 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I was poking around trying to determine the power consumed by a toaster in the UK when I came across this article. Quote:

"Power: the more watts (power) your model has, the faster it toasts, although the type of bread will also impact this. The optimum level for two-slice toasters is 1200kW and for four-slice toasters is 1800kW or more."

That should toast your bread PDQ although the lights might dim a bit :)

A 1200kW toaster would incinerate the poor slice of bread in microseconds, and would put a heck of a strain on the National Grid! Most UK domestic installations have 13Amp (approx 3kW) mains outlets; at a rough estimate, your toaster is drawing around 5000Amps!

Most definitely killer Watts!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 11

Evening all, quiet day today after another 12 mile bike ride yesterday, we started off with a sharp frost at 6.00 am then the sun peeped out, then it vanished for most of the day. Bit of the "G" word done mostly making things frost proof in case it happens tonight. No muddling today which was wound up with an evening walk round the village, postie brought a surprise, some sugar free liquorice cats(don't ask) from a shop in Staines in Yorkshire, that we found when we were there just before the lock down, mail order sweeties(I can't have an easter egg as I'm on a low sugar diet).

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Evening all. Another productive day in the garage. 

Stumbled across this - not heard of it before but think it might have appealed to some of our number! 

Yes Bulleid's infamous tavern cars. Interesting that carriages are referred to as trains.

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Agree 2