The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I believe Dave has an as yet unbuilt D&S kit for just such a thing. (As do I.)

I've already got a part built 7mm version if that helps.

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I've already got a part built 7mm version if that helps.

Jamie

What would really help is a completed example to provide hope and encouragement. Preferably not painted by Ian Rathbone (or similar) - we need to see that completion is achievable by mere mortals. Mind you, in 4 mm, by the time I build mine, folk'll just be saying: "Isn't that the Oxford model?"

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Ozexpatriate, those are Spanish bluebells;   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinthoides_non-scripta. I have a load exactly the same.  I had them at the old house and brought a bag of bulbs here, only to find that a lot more came up where I hadn't planted any.  At least I rescued some from the extension that our buyer had built.

The long weekend wasn't much different from previous years.  Lockdown isn't bothering ne over much as I don't often go out except for my daily afternoon shopping and post office run.  That's now every second or third day with PO once a week, but I find myself wondering what to do in that time slot on the other days. I must be the only RMwebber who isn't getting any modelling done.  The loft is full of stuff being temporarily or permanently stored and my desk is cluttered with junk and stuff that needs mending and also has no chair.  Mrs mole is going a bit stir crazy, she needs to swim twice a week to help her disability, which she can't do, and also goes out a lot to visit friends and play in music sessions.  She's going to join in some on-line sessions that some friends are organising.  Martyn has noticed little change apart from not visiting his friend at weekends.  He has received a response from Royal Mail so hopefully he will soon go back on as a casual sorter.

Recent mention of music prompted me to reconnect the Ion USB turntable to the PC and play some of the few vinyl LPs I have in the house through the speakers attached to the PC, which aren't bad.  I've mainly been playing the New Lost City Ramblers and some other country/old-time music.

Shopping run later, possibly also to getr a new kitchen bin. The lid on ours has broken so I reckon it's essential.

Have a good day, stay safe,

Pete

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon all!

What a mixed day.  Looks great outside, but it's still a little chilly.

A bit sad as I'm stuck waiting - I feel like I'm wasting the weeks going by.

Waiting for my Class 66 to be fixed or refunded.  Waiting for Hunt Couplings to get back to me about their lights.  Waiting for Bachmann to announce more liveries to their Class 158 (come on CT green!).  Waiting for another company to announce a livery of a unit they produce.  Waiting for new job stuff...

And slightly more sad is that we finally finished Downton Abbey last night.
While some may have not liked the end (it was happy for everyone), what a feel good TV Series.  I hate it when they carry it on and spoil the last few series (looking at Heroes, Lost...).

Still, at least I managed to bag a Click and Collect spot for Asda on Sunday.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

Aditi said she didn’t think Michael's plant was agapanthus, ours haven’t much leaf growth yet and no flower spikes at all (due in July). We don’t have English bluebells (flowers on one side of the stem, droopy looking) we have the Spanish variety that look rather  like the ones photographed in Oregon. Our agapanthus  is called Margaret. 
We finally finished our box set of Montalbano recently. We have been working through them for years now. However the series had been on so long the early episodes had ransom demands and robberies in lira not euro!
Tony

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Afternoon all!

What a mixed day.  Looks great outside, but it's still a little chilly.

A bit sad as I'm stuck waiting - I feel like I'm wasting the weeks going by.

Waiting for my Class 66 to be fixed or refunded.  Waiting for Hunt Couplings to get back to me about their lights.  Waiting for Bachmann to announce more liveries to their Class 158 (come on CT green!).  Waiting for another company to announce a livery of a unit they produce.  Waiting for new job stuff...

And slightly more sad is that we finally finished Downton Abbey last night.
While some may have not liked the end (it was happy for everyone), what a feel good TV Series.  I hate it when they carry it on and spoil the last few series (looking at Heroes, Lost...).

Still, at least I managed to bag a Click and Collect spot for Asda on Sunday.

We watched the final episode of The Nest last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It ended up with a sort of feel good ending without being too soft and soapy. Also some very good acting particularly by the young lady who played Kaya. All i need to do now is to find out what the music was that featured.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

Greetings all from Sidcup where I see mixed blue skies and clouds through the "office" window. I have not been out of the house yet but it is nearly time for my constitutional.

Work has been very much groundhog day.

Phil, if I recall, poppies grow best when the ground has been disturbed, which is why they grow so well in fields that have been ploughed, and of course in Flanders Fields.

Have a good day all

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

All i need to do now is to find out what the music was that featured.

Do you have Android?
There's an inbuilt "Search" function that allows your phone to "listen" to what music is being played.  It used to be just okay, but I tried it the other day and even with talking over the music, it managed to find what music was playing.

There's also a variety of websites - even youtube comments!

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The turntable on my layout has an extremely hi-tech control system working on the KISS principle; it is driven by a Gaugemaster controller so I can adjust the speed and direction of rotation by a switch and rotary knob and the alignment of tracks is by eye. Possibly antediluvian and no doubt frowned on by the more knowledgeable of the wiggly amp brethren but it works. The only sop to automation, sort of, is that when power is selected to operate the table it is removed from the track so even I can't drive a locomotive into the boondocks whilst it is revolving.

The first one he cobbled together from his spin caster with disastrous results:mocking_mini:.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Found it. Susanna and the magical orchestra's version of a Joy Division song, Love will tear us apart. Thanks John.

Check out the version by June Tabor and the Oyster Band.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Good morning owl from the Piedmont.

This morning I went to Walmart earlier than normal as they are open an hour early for seniors on Tuesday and I wanted to czech it out; what a difference from the regular day. I think that Tuesday morning will now be my regular shopping day, at least as long as this lasts.

2 hours ago, petethemole said:

...snip... I must be the only RMwebber who isn't getting any modelling done. ...snip...Have a good day, stay safe,

Pete

No, there are at least three of us! :biggrin_mini: Although I did just fish out a pair of San Juan On2½ trucks that I saw floating in the 'bay. When they arrive, they will, most likely, get put away and not see the light of day for quite a long while although I do have a specific car in mind for them; It is currently an On3 car.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Check out the version by June Tabor and the Oyster Band.

Chris

I was just about to mention that the only version I have is by June Tabor and Oysterband. Also available on YouTube from a live performance at the Union Chapel when their Ragged Kingdom record was released.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I was just about to mention that the only version I have is by June Tabor and Oysterband. Also available on YouTube from a live performance at the Union Chapel when their Ragged Kingdom record was released.

Union Chapel is one of my favourite venues. I have seen Lainey Wilson, Josh Turner, Sarah Darling and had tickets for 7th May to see Ward Thomas but that has now been put back until later in the year. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Union Chapel is one of my favourite venues. 

Me too!  I was there for the launch of Gryphon's first album for 41 years and more recently for the Fire and Fleet tour by June and the Oysters.

Chris

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1