The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

47 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Spurred by my earlier rant, I spent a little time in the garden today. This year's salad crop is not as nice looking as last year, but it hasn't rained in a week. Last Spring was wetter. Judging by the shape of the leaves, there are clearly a couple of different varieties and they embed in very difficult locations. The one in the middle is on a very steep slope (in the middle of ground cover), and only reachable by climbing up from the bottom. The one on the right is under a shrub hard against a valve box in the drip irrigation system.

dentsdeslions.PNG.e4cd579384ca8db1d7c64967a3d0152b.PNG

They are all in the yard waste bin.

Can anyone identify these (below) for me? They too are very good colonizers and came in under the back fence though the drainage rubble. They look like bluebells, but I'm not botanist. I have magnified the middle image.

blueflowers.PNG.5951795e9bd3c57b1d8a7876e2d9690d.PNG

A bit hard to see but they look to me  like some kind of Agapanthus. Also known as African Lillies or Lillies of the Nile.

You'd probably remember them in Australia as tall balls of purple or white that line parks and so on that kids love knocking off with sticks, 

but there  are smaller cultivars.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Could not find it. Made a new drawing.

MultiWayPointServo1.PNG.33ae5e4e7f967fc23c95921172e01270.PNG

The motor drives the pos and neg contact plates CW or ACW. When the selected wiper reaches the gap between the contact plates the motor stops. If it overshoots the motor reverses. The resolution depends on how accurate the wipers and the gap are.

It will require modification to apply it to a turntable.

The  turntable drive I saw made used  a relay that operated a latch which engaged into a slot on a circular disc beneath the baseboard.  The latch was sprung so that he latch dropped into the slot whilst a micro switch then cut the power, whilst the latch held the turntable firmly in place.  Pressing a button energised the relay which lifted, and powered up the drive motor on the turntable.

It was very simple because there was only a single entry and a corresponding single exit 180 degrees away.

The table was biased so that it only turned in one direction.

You just pressed the button and when the table started to turn you could leave it knowing it would stop automatically 180 degrees later.

I am now awaiting the Met Officer at Market Drayton to report on what sort of weather I should be experiencing today.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Unprototypical. Means you cant replicate this:

I'm sure I could if I tried hard enough Stephen. When I put my mind to it I can be the GDB of layout operation and can usually be counted on to overcome most failsafe systems. 

Dave

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

BTW Re. that Leeds TT accident, I've just noticed that the unknown engine in the pit - probably 1808 Class - has the full reverse curve splashers, whereas 1327 Class No. 1346, sitting pretty on the table, still has the early form of splashers with the flat section in the middle.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

863251107_DY1012AccidentonturntableatLeeds.jpg.4c3e5c855d055abe927278cb36c31b23.jpg

NRM DY 1012,  released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.

I saw a beautiful bit of video recently of a fully automated, servo-controlled, P4 turntable. It had everything except the man pushing...

Need a decent sized sky hook to deal with that one! The ladder at the pit edge brought to mind a song from the late fifties I think - Big John - “with jacks and shovels they started back down, then came a rumble from deep in the ground....” 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, BSW01 said:

...The next thing to test was the accuracy of stopping position, for both clockwise and anti-clockwise rotation. After several tests with the Hall effect switch in different positions, the best results I could get was a 2mm difference in the final position when it turned either clockwise or anti-clockwise. It stopped in the same position time after time, but always with the 2mm difference between to 2 different rotations. Without the cone fitted this went to 6mm, so 2mm was a big improvement, but I still think this is too much of a difference and a loco would be liable to derail when entering or leaving the turntable. So I now have to find an alternative method for stopping the turntable.

I have had good results on an 00 turntable using a slotted optical sensor detecting brass wire pins mounted on a disc. Something along the lines of this 

http://www.vishay.com/optical-sensors/list/product-81147/

I used a microprocessor to control the various movements but simpler methods are available.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

29 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

863251107_DY1012AccidentonturntableatLeeds.jpg.4c3e5c855d055abe927278cb36c31b23.jpg

NRM DY 1012,  released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.

Bet that when it happened that, in the ensuing silence, the first words to be heard were something like "Oh sh1t!"

• Agree 16
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I believe Dave has an as yet unbuilt D&S kit for just such a thing. (As do I.)

Or you could both model a tower made out of planks and jack it up like the chaps in the photo.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Tony_S said:

Or you could both model a tower made out of planks and jack it up like the chaps in the photo.

That would be the answer to avoiding all the electronic faffery of building a working 'table.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I have two (other than record playing devices). One on the ON30 layout has Meccano gears and a handle. Works well. The other one is on my main layout and is a Heljan product. That works well too. 
Tony

• Like 14

14 hours ago, brianusa said:

In spite of later criticism of American cars of the day, brakes, suspension, etc, their get up and go was admirable.  It wasn't a Tesla 3 sec to 60, but by the standards of the day moving a ton up vehicle to a ton or more was thrilling to say the least.  You could almost hear the petrol slurping through the carbs and see the gas needle slowly moving toward Empty!  Even at such speeds they were comfortable and quiet, plenty of room for three in front and  of leg room in the back which didn't require ones knees in the back of the front seat.  Every time I get in our Acura, I remember them with affection:cray_mini:

Brian.

When I was living in the US I acquired a Chrysler Station Wagon with a 440 "Big Block" engine (I think that was the correct term) with some sort of "super duper" automatic transmission. The car weighed a ton (probably literally) and went - as they used to say - like "sh1t off a shovel".

Once I was waiting at a traffic light on a 4 lane stretch of road near my house, when some flash g1t  pulled up next to me in some sort of Euro poser-mobile (a Porsche, IIRC), looked at me pointedly and revved his engine - repeatedly. I ignored him, but on the second the light turned green, I floored the accelerator and shot off at an amazing rate of knots, whereas poser-boy, trying to do the same, managed to crash the gearbox (and presumably also flooded the engine) as the poser-mobile juddered to halt a few feet further forward (something I observed in my rear view mirror)

13 hours ago, PeterBB said:

That was the day when we realised that our Hattie had gone deaf - loud bangs on firework night and she didn't even flinch.  She had fantastic expression eyes and normally responded well so we had not even guessed.

Oh, the poor lass. From the way you wrote about her, I assume that she is no longer with us.

13 hours ago, AndyID said:

...MrsID volunteered to cut it. My response - "Not on your Nellie!"

Oh, I don't know. It has its advantages. Apart from Mrs iD doing it "as and when needed" (much more convenient - and these days possible - than going to a barber shop), it is also dirt cheap - the traditional payment for a Mrs iD haircut being one takeaway pizza. Mind you, not having much of a luxurious mane at the best of times (I grew my hair for 6 months for a theatrical role - it just got curlier and thicker, not longer), I have - literally - little to loose. Go on, give your Mrs ID a chance..

Stay Safe, Stay Well, Stay Sane

iD

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

Sunny and no wind.  hope it is warmer than yesterday when I cut my bike ride on the spot down to 15 mins!

One mugadecaftea and one mugadecafcoffee coming up!

Back later.

_____

Polly

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Talking of flowering plants, I have two clumps of daffodils in my front garden. Though they are within a couple of feet of each other one has already gone over whereas the other has just flowered. I presume the ones that have just flowered have done so due to there proximity to the north facing front of the house, the other clump is about three feet away. One thing I have noticed is a lack of poppies in my garden this year. I normally leave them to self seed but last year the spring crop of seeds sprouted but didn't flower when we had a warm spell later in the year. The only poppies I've seen are growing wild in the council shrubbery on the corner, probably arising after the council contractors cut it back a few weeks ago. Only problem that as they are on the edge of the footpath they might get damaged before they set seed. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16