The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

48 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

... I now have to find an alternative method for stopping the turntable. I’ve already started sketching a few ideas down, some are as a simple as a grove filled into a disc that the operating button drops into, another is a spring loader plunger with a wheel attached on the end to drop into the grove, or a slight variation, instead of the plunger, a spring loaded arm with a wheel attached.

I was afraid you might find yourself here. I have pondered this problem before (without experimenting) and not come up with much better. (Similar problems exist with traversers - horizontal or vertical.)

Instead of a plunger, how about a spring loaded knife* and groove. You'd also need a mechanism to unlatch it. Such devices will add mechanical resistance to moving he table.

* not a sharp knife, but a narrow metal strip on edge.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I was afraid you might find yourself here. I have pondered this problem before (without experimenting) and not come up with much better. (Similar problems exist with traversers - horizontal or vertical.)

Instead of a plunger, how about a spring loaded knife* and groove. You'd also need a mechanism to unlatch it. Such devices will add mechanical resistance to moving he table.

I made a five-way point for some storage loops that worked that way. Effectively it's a very crude servo drive. There should be a diagram somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it.

It should be possible to apply the same technique to a turntable.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Could not find it. Made a new drawing.

MultiWayPointServo1.PNG.33ae5e4e7f967fc23c95921172e01270.PNG

The motor drives the pos and neg contact plates CW or ACW. When the selected wiper reaches the gap between the contact plates the motor stops. If it overshoots the motor reverses. The resolution depends on how accurate the wipers and the gap are.

It will require modification to apply it to a turntable.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Cold chilly overcast,  Ben the happy Collie enjoyed his patrol. 

One thing I noticed,  normally we get the bluebells flowering in the garden just before the daffodils go over. But just about all daffs are now shriveled  and no sign of a bluebell stalk let alone a flower so far. 

The daffodil heads won't go to waste, SWMBO collects them as they are used in natural dying of wool.

Its been decided that the next garden task is to trim two internal to the garden hedges of berberis purpura.  One was given a heavy chop last year and is looking straggly, the other is due it's heavy chop. 

The question is where to set up the next bonfire of twiggy burnables , we tend to move it around to destroy something we don't want. 

Time to eat my porridge... 

Ah the gas man has arrived,  so the tank is getting topped up.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Spurred by my earlier rant, I spent a little time in the garden today. This year's salad crop is not as nice looking as last year, but it hasn't rained in a week. Last Spring was wetter. Judging by the shape of the leaves, there are clearly a couple of different varieties and they embed in very difficult locations. The one in the middle is on a very steep slope (in the middle of ground cover), and only reachable by climbing up from the bottom. The one on the right is under a shrub hard against a valve box in the drip irrigation system.

dentsdeslions.PNG.e4cd579384ca8db1d7c64967a3d0152b.PNG

They are all in the yard waste bin.

Can anyone identify these (below) for me? They too are very good colonizers and came in under the back fence though the drainage rubble. They look like bluebells, but I'm not botanist. I have magnified the middle image.

blueflowers.PNG.5951795e9bd3c57b1d8a7876e2d9690d.PNG

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This is a picture of my patio. It is tinted brown concrete and was stamped with texturing when laid. Everything yellow is pollen - probably mostly from Douglas Firs, though my Dogwoods may have contributed.

pollen.PNG.eea5d17cd11544a069ce5b13cf9ecb10.PNG

Every Spring I need to hose down the patio and scrub the mould off the furniture, with is kept under the patio roof. Being a very splashy task, I usually do this when it is a little warmer.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Can you not select the little square 'handle' at the top left of the quote box (when you mouse over the box) and then hit "delete"?

No. Tried it on this post.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

The Bluebells in our garden are just starting to burst into colour. The mini daffs we have are just finishing. End of garden report.

The painter is due back today. He should finish everything by Friday ish.

BoD, mornings can be a very special time. Outside here the sun is shining, the birds are singing and it is calm.... well it was until a couple of speeding cars have just driven past.

On occassional forays down to Lulworth to check how my tank trials were doing early morning was a great time. You would often see Sika deer on the ranges.  The birds would be singing..ah, pleasant memories!

Now today is catch up with bits and bobs day. Things I have been putting off but really need doing. First off, mugatea and breakfast.

Stay healthy everyone!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1