The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, 45156 said:

Ah music - it is one of the things keeping me sane at the moment - my tastes do vary a great deal - I still like the Beatles, Bee Gees, Abba (never did when they were current - my late father was the one to point out that the music was brilliantly composed), ...

36 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

... For some reason I do like Dire Straits, Abba from the days of Waterloo and have a collection of Buddy Holly records of which 'Peggy Sue' is my favourite.

Abba exploded in Australia. Even my Grandma had a copy of "Arrival" (on vinyl). Other albums in her collection were things like "Sing along with Mitch" (Miller). At that time (mid-70s) as an adolescent boy in high school they were not cool. Nevertheless they were completely ubiquitous and their catchy pop music was a soundtrack to everything at that time - though by the end of the 70s, school dances were more of the "disco" sound (think Donna Summer etc).

Abba parody was big too. "There was something in my hair last night, it was Vegemite, Fernando" has remained un-erased in my mind.

The Abba influence on Australia is easily seen in the film "Muriel's Wedding" (1994) which used an integral Abba soundtrack long before the musical and Hollywood "Mamma Mia!" series.

A university friend of mine attended the same school as the Bee Gees who had by then moved on to bigger things.

• Like 17

21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In our global world, 'kay-sonn' is the generally accepted pronunciation elsewhere in engineering professions.

That makes me think of large aircraft flying over and diving suddenly

Going stir crazy

Night awl

• Funny 16

16 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

That makes me think of large aircraft flying over and diving suddenly

The attack on Hill 902 (Ka-San) and the defense of the whole Pusan perimeter bought time for the flanking Inchon landings in mid-September of 1950.

Of course the US had landed troops at Inchon in September 8, 1945 to hold the Soviets to the 38th parallel. Just five years earlier.

All these years later and despite the recent theatrics of the dear leader and the orange one there is still no peace treaty.

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, pH said:

Helston: https://maps.app.goo.gl/eP8qGF7GzLLMzc5v8  The selection changes regularly.

As an aside - I love the street name! 

Ooh err! Two Chieftains ( one in Berlin camouflage), an Abbott and a scimitar/sabre (30mm gun CVR(T).

Everyone has been busy making me think of happy times at Barnbow. Many thanks.

Baz

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In our global world, 'kay-sonn' is the generally accepted pronunciation elsewhere in engineering professions.

Much as I respect your view, pronounce it thus at ANY naval dockyard will have you hung, drawn and quartered. Even the OED lists their predominant phonetic pronunciation as kasoon.

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

pronounce it thus at ANY naval dockyard will have you hung, drawn and quartered. Even the OED lists their predominant phonetic pronunciation as kasoon.

A genuine question out of curiosity, (I'm not being snarky or argumentative here since I don't know the answer) how does the royal artillery pronounce their historic equipment of the same name?

• Like 11

1 minute ago, newbryford said:

Yeah - they pronounce it "Indy Car racing".....................

Except in Austin. A former colleague has season tickets to the Circuit of the Americas, which includes (options to) the F1 Grand Prix event.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.

Another glorious day, if it was a normal Easter it would be snowing of course.

Garden works today, not railway.  Keith, I found rough sawn timber lasted longer than marine ply on the railway!  WBP ply lasted minutes.

More cooking on the wood burner, chicken this time, then had my ears lowered by Mrs NHN to No. 2 position, aka summer length.  Debs was shooting that scary bow in the garden again, having arranged a safe catch-net thing to catch any misses - not that she does miss. Ever.  This is about practicing technique apparently as obviously there is little range available.

20200410_174636.jpg.d6430134a60f5c6b1d13f3d6a16d6859.jpg

Might I suggest that the left thumb is lifted away from over the top of the left index finger.

The wrap over encourages an over tight grip on the bow and increases tension.  This translates into vibration which I presume an archer wishes to avoid.

Well it does when you are shooting with a rifle, so I imagine certain aspects of control are similar if not identical.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5