The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

39 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

What about St Louis, pronounced AFAIK as st Lewis.

How about "nawlins" (New Orleans)? Or play it safe with NOLA. It is in Louisiana. (At least that pronunciation starts with "Louie", though some might say "loosey-anna".)

Judy Garland pronounced it St. Louie. ;)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I'm with ChrisF on BBC scheduling, its best to treat the program schedule as a work of fiction. Yesterday evening I took to running through the Virgin TV listings for something interesting. I did find something, an archeological dig in a Surrey vineyard that had been a Home Guard training area and they discovered a Covenator tank buried there! I found it very interesting only problem was I missed the start of the program. Now for breakfast, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning.

Dull here and spitting on with pleut.

Richard, SWMBO informs me it makes no difference as the centre part of the bow (I forget its proper name) isn't actually held at all, but is pulled into the crook of thumb and forefinger by the tension of the draw.  Thus the fingers/thumb are merely resting and taking no weight or tension.  The angle of the draw elbow is something that is discussed, one guy at a shoot recently suggested it should be lower.  Debs tutor (who is the world champion bare bow field archer) reckons it doesn't matter provided it is consistent on shots, it's archery not ballet!  Like any sport there is a lot of conflicting opinion, especially in matters of technique, but what works is the most important.  Debs can't beat her over a shoot in the glen, but does win some bosses against her. (A boss being the 'target').  Lesley really wants Debs to compete, but she has no interest in that, only shooting for fun.  It scares me, it has some power. That's 35lb draw currently IIRC, she is talking about more soon....eek.

Thanks for the explanation.

It's very informative and adds to my knowlege bank about the differences and similarities in the various shooting sports.

What you say is very true about various individuals wanting one to conform to their theories about hold and position.

In shooting there is always an ongoing argument about the point in the breathing cycle at which you pull the trigger.

The resting technique to hold the bow in the aim is not dissimilar to shooting where we adopt what is known as an 'artillery' hold.  The gun is held firmly enough so it is stable, but is held loosely enough so that it recoils naturally without being constrained.  Holding it in a tight grip to fight the recoil causes a lot of inconsistency so you get a scattered shot pattern. 

I teach 5 round/pellet groups.  Just aiming at the target at the same place.  It doesn't matter where the hole appears!  Once you are getting the holes tightly grouped together, which confirms the shooter is being consistent with hold, we can then adjust the sights, and in effect 'walk' the rounds back towards the centre of the target.

It's not rocket science, but common sense: Yet there are some who will blame the sights, the gun, or the ammunition well before they ever consider the problem might be themselves!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

'68 Dave, '68...!!! ;)

No, the 66 had the best styling. A 66 was/is one of the very few muscle cars that I have ever wanted to own. I would even take that body with a 225 slant-six in it!! <_<

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

The neighbour gave up mowing the grass,  he was mowing his sons head instead, sat outside on a chair. 

So today I sat in the sun under a cloudless sky sanding the keel board till I was happy with it. 

Then Ben the Collie who thinks tyres are balls was confined to barracks for an hour and a half while I mowed some of the grass. 

Brownies points were then earnt varnishing the Inkle loom. 

After that much yellow snow was generated,  I've just binned a bucket load. 

Ben was taken for his long patrol,  which wasn't far he's finding the warmth too much.  At one point he hobbled up-to me and held out his paw.. I removed a thorn.

The sky now has high clouds,  not long before it all gets a lot colder.... 

Time I think to inspect eyelids.. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3